Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Sapkowski is a dick, but he wrote some good shit too.

If you by any chance mean the Hussite trilogy, it was the blandest thing ever.

It wasn't bland, characters were OK, dialogs were funny. Just the plot was the same thing over and over. Reynevan is traveling with his friends, womenizing puts him into trouble. He or some of his friends got kidnapped, they meet some old friends from university that release them or help them escape, they continue to travel. Repeated like 20 times through 3 books.

Yes, as stated a couple of posts later, "bland" was a poor choice of word. But recycling the same setup *at least* 20 times is a major problem.

bloodlover

Arcane
I finally bought a good PC this past week and the first game I bought was Witcher 3. Everything runs smooth on ultra, the environments look gorgeous, the combat is ok and I am waiting to see where the story goes. I played the first two games ages ago but this third installment is much much better in almost every way (maybe not W1 in atmosphere but that just might be me).

Two quick questions: is it normal to always be over leveled? I explored Velen fully with just some high level mobs left around and I am almost level 14. Is there a point in keeping the unique gear that I find?

I went for a sword/alchemy build and so far so good.

Danikas

Arcane
Two quick questions: is it normal to always be over leveled? I explored Velen fully with just some high level mobs left around and I am almost level 14. Is there a point in keeping the unique gear that I find?
If you do every quest and explore the map you will be overleveled all the time you can turn on lvl scaling in the options if you want.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, if you are thorough, and with this game's attention to detail in story and characters you want to be I guess, you will be overlevelled.

As you get progressively overleveled for sidequests you will be receiving less and less XP rewards. Eventually the main quest will give you large chunks of XP when you get around to progressing it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Bless ya. You're probably starting to hit the "suffering zone" now, where everything feel a fucking chore, and the main thing keeping you going is your determination to make it through to see what the fuss is all about.

Totally agree with the Ciri sections. Really jarring. As if they were supposed to lead somewhere but didn't.

With all that said, Skellige is probably the best part of the main game simply because it's more compact like the expansions. When you return to the massive nothingness of Velan & Novigrad you'll soon start to really detest it.

I hated every second in skellige. Awful boat controls and sirens worse than cliff racers.

Gerrard

Arcane
I finally bought a good PC this past week and the first game I bought was Witcher 3. Everything runs smooth on ultra, the environments look gorgeous, the combat is ok and I am waiting to see where the story goes. I played the first two games ages ago but this third installment is much much better in almost every way (maybe not W1 in atmosphere but that just might be me).

I went for a sword/alchemy build and so far so good.
You will be overleveled if you do every side quest, but there's a quest XP penalty if you're 4 levels higher than the quest, so even if you do all the quests at around your level you will not end up being 10 levels above the next. The problem is, there are some low level quests in places that you might not visit until much later in the game.

typical user

Arbiter
I said it once and will repeat it again, someone at CDPR was throwing darts at the map while shouting random numbers. That's how we got level 30 quests in Velen when it takes around 40 hours to even reach that requirement.

bloodlover

Arcane
Is there a good Griffin "build" if I could say so? I am level 30 and running around with Ursine but it requires alchemy management and certain skills that I can't obtain yet. It probably doesn't matter unless you start NG+ anyway but using spells and the occasional sword sounds quite fun.

Semiurge

Cipher
There's too many Witcher sets, one per each game area would have sufficed. One superior armor set per area that requires the completion of a late stage main quest set in the given area, this would give players a reason to use some of the miscellaneous armors for a while if they outperform the Witcher set from the previous, lower levelled area. Right now they are useless stat-wise, but often look more interesting than the drab Witcher sets. In Witcher 2 you had three superior dark sets that had no competition and you could finish an entire chapter with that one set, but the game's shortness ensured that it didn't matter much that all other armors became heavy loot only intended for resale.

bloodlover

Arcane
Finished the game last night after 120h. Finished both DLCs and cleared most of the content (fuck the chests around Skellige)

The game overall was excellent, I do understand the "10/10 GOTY best RPG omg itz awesome 99999 awards" tags around it.

Some things that I liked in particular:

- General atmosphere was great, from Velen to Skellige, from Novigrad to Toussant, the atmosphere was always unique and memorable. Looking back at towns from past games, they all seem like little lifeless villages by comparison. Also, Skellige alone was more "viking" that Skyrim in its entirety.

- Side quests were more or less good. I never felt that I was just checking quests from a list or grinding like I do in many open world games. Still, the contracts are boring after a while and using the witcher senses to track down everything started to annoy me after a while.

- Actually good narrative. I played the first games many years ago so my memory might be fuzzy but I was told at the time(especially in the TW2) that many things were better understood by reading the books. From the characters to the monsters and locations, I felt that the developers assumed that I was a die hard fan and must have read the books. Everything is more clear here, from the backstory to the bestiary and books you can read in the game, they all offer valuable insights.

- Memorable moments: The music from Skellige, Priscilla's song, the entire HoS DLC, Geralt's trial from the Four Monsters contract, Baron's questline, the three witches.

- Everything looks amazing. There are many good looking games out there of course but TW3's outdoors are simply on another level and a feast for the eyes.

- Easter eggs.

Things that I did not like very much:

- Itemization was not very well done. I did play on the normal difficulty and maybe here it does not matter very much what armor you are using but in NG and a higher difficulty I don't see how uniques can beat the bonuses that set items give.

- The magic system is too shallow. I assume that it was made like in the books and maybe it does makes sense there but in a video game signs need to bring more to the table. Again, maybe on different game modes and with high investment in certain skills it AND with the Griffin set it goes well but for my playthrough, my heavy attack + alchemy and the occasional Quen were more than enough to plow though the content.

- Certain parts of Kaer Morhen were meh, with the final battle being the only good part.

- I know I am going to get shit for this but B&W was too over the top for me. It's a nice farewell for Geralt's story, the ending was nice and everything looks gorgeous but it felt very very disconnected to everything else in the game.

- Horse riding was a pain. So was Geralt's tendencies to light everything instead of picking items up or rolling down/falling like an idiot for no reason. Fun when it happens for a few min, not fun when it happens for 120hours.

Last edited:

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
He won't grill you for answers, I think. But you can still chat with him in the palace lobby while he's talking to someone else. Short, but it's something. I'd import just for Letho. Also having Sile in prison is extra gnarly.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
- The magic system is too shallow. I assume that it was made like in the books and maybe it does makes sense there but in a video game signs need to bring more to the table. Again, maybe on different game modes and with high investment in certain skills it AND with the Griffin set it goes well but for my playthrough, my heavy attack + alchemy and the occasional Quen were more than enough to plow though the content.
I disagree strongly, they never should have made the signs into anything more than supplementary tools, both for lore reasons, and so that they would have a better defined scope of what the player is capable of at any point of the game. Having to account for distinctly different playstyles clearly didn't work for them, as they couldn't even account well for one of them. It should have always been sword fighting first and foremost.

bloodlover

Arcane
It is just sword fighting for the most part, signs just being some extra tools. Unless you can kill every enemy in the game with Igni but I highly doubt that.

Semiurge

Cipher
He won't grill you for answers, I think. But you can still chat with him in the palace lobby while he's talking to someone else. Short, but it's something. I'd import just for Letho. Also having Sile in prison is extra gnarly.

It's likely just me but it seems that Voorhees has a gay crush for our oldboy Geralt. But then so does everyone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It is just sword fighting for the most part, signs just being some extra tools. Unless you can kill every enemy in the game with Igni but I highly doubt that.

If you like to play dex builds and dodge, use aard to push enemies away or stun. If you like to mix it up, use quen to prevent damage. Rinse and repeat.

Avarize

Magister
I was thinking of finally playing the expansions. Does investing all skill points into signs make combat a little more unique and interesting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom