Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 mods

Puukko

Arcane
Ghost mode does, you can't get more than two hits in in a row IIRC.

What do you guys think about this mod: https://sites.google.com/site/w3esgo/esgo-options ?

It looks like the kind of mod that's under the hood of mods like W3EE, Ghost Mode and SotR (in fact it was created by the creator of W3EE). I am thinking of playing with it instead, because it will let me customize the combat at least to exactly how I like it.

I've been looking at combat videos of all 3 of those overhauls, and the combat in each still looks like shit. Geralt is twirling around like a ballerina, with zero resistance, because if the enemies block/dodge on every 3rd attack, you can pretty much cut them apart at will (2 attacks, pause, 2 attacks, death). This is not how real melee combat works at all (the other guy always attempts to defend himself).

So with ESGO mod, I am thinking I can set enemies to always block/dodge, and also raise their stamina, so the only way to play would be to counter/dodge them, and then get your attack in. This would be a lot more realistic. Have to see though if that mod lets me do all of this.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Any mod experts here? Maybe Perkel? I'm looking for some mod recommendations...

1. Is there a mod which removes the intrusive stuff from the screen such as minimap, objectives, compass, etc?

2. Any mod which reverts to the original color palette similar to Witcher 1, more dried up and gritty and less colorful? Example:
the-witcher-3-2.jpg

3. Any combat mod which brings back the combat stances/styles from Witcher 1?

Thanks

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
1. Is there a mod which removes the intrusive stuff from the screen such as minimap, objectives, compass, etc?

Friendly HUD allows for tweaking the UI to your liking, though I believe you can turn a lot of stuff off from the game menu, without mods.

2. Any mod which reverts to the original color palette similar to Witcher 1, more dried up and gritty and less colorful?

Phoenix Lighting Mod maybe? I haven't used it though, so I can't vouch for its quality.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
3. Any combat mod which brings back the combat stances/styles from Witcher 1?
:notsureifserious:

Found this (https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3630)

There is also something called Better Combat Enhanced...

Friendly HUD allows for tweaking the UI to your liking, though I believe you can turn a lot of stuff off from the game menu, without mods.

Looks like what I need, tnx!

2. Any mod which reverts to the original color palette similar to Witcher 1, more dried up and gritty and less colorful?

Phoenix Lighting Mod maybe? I haven't used it though, so I can't vouch for its quality.

It's okay, will keep looking though. tnx

The fundamental problem with Witcher 3 combat is the fact that mostly, you are facing many opponents at once: many bandits in a group, many drowners, many wolves, etc. You cannot design a good combat system around that, because inherently your enemies are trash (1 versus 3-5). If any of them required advanced skill to defeat, they d kill you, since there are many more of them, so they MUST be very simple and dull.

That's why games with good action combat typically have you facing off against 1-2 enemies at a time. Then, you can have more in-depth systems. And unfortunately, you can't really mod this without massive changes to the game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The fundamental problem with Witcher 3 combat is the fact that mostly, you are facing many opponents at once: many bandits in a group, many drowners, many wolves, etc. You cannot design a good combat system around that, because inherently your enemies are trash (1 versus 3-5). If any of them required advanced skill to defeat, they d kill you, since there are many more of them, so they MUST be very simple and dull.

That's why games with good action combat typically have you facing off against 1-2 enemies at a time. Then, you can have more in-depth systems. And unfortunately, you can't really mod this without massive changes to the game.
the larger groups are usually trash in vanilla, yes, but there are plenty of one-on-one fights, so no that's not what ruins the combat.

the main problem is that its combat system is broken by its RPG elements and heavy handed attempts to make rpg elements matter in vanilla. you clearly had competing design philosophies that were never properly blended. rpg elements ruined the action and the non-linearity, the equipment progresion system completely overshadowed the rpg elements. the harsh penalties for facing higher level opponents imposed by the level system (buffing higher level enemies) was a pathetic attempt to make rpg elements matter since equipment was clearly what made or broke a build. instead it just ensured that you could never have a non-linear experience despite the fact that the devs clearly designed that to be an option in the quest structure.

again, enhanced edition mostly fixes the actual issues with tw3's combat - in groups and otherwise. groups of shit enemies become deadly and the larger single-combat enemies become deadlier.

Perkel

Arcane

Wrong, TW3 combat system is oriented around fighting groups. Even in vanilla game you can easily dance around in group with short dodge as that dodge has i-frames and once you powerup via leveling you can just switch on whirl and whole group is fucked.
W3EE further improves that removing i-frames but giving you much better parry that works from most of the sides. It takes a while to get your head around it though as you are not accustomed to parrying everything.

I think bigger one of one fights are TW3 problem because usually monsters have either non stop autotracking or hitboxes so huge that even using roll dodge doesn't usually help and most of the time those monsters can't be staggered (which is something W3EE also fixes though not entirely)

Wrong, TW3 combat system is oriented around fighting groups.

You just repeated what I said, and then said wrong.

A combat system oriented around fighting groups is guaranteed to suck. Same way as those budget level movies where the kung fu hero takes out 30 guys at the same time. Those 30 guys must be weak and stupid, because how else can 30 people lose against one? Same with any system based around multiple opponents. You can do it to a limited degree in some cases (let's say heavy armor lets you get away with it to a very limited degree), but most good combat systems are oriented around 1v1 or at most 1v2 combat.

A combat system oriented around fighting groups is guaranteed to suck.
except it isn't. most monster contracts are 1 v 1, as I said.

yes, there is group combat and you're rarely going to face multiple high level enemies at once (because as you said, how else is one person supposed to defeat a group?), but group combat that's not what the combat is "based on". if anything, they're just trash mobs to pad out the 1 v 1 fights that make up the core of the gameplay/story.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Completely untrue.
If your game truly has a good action combat system then you can have figths agains multiple oponents.
Some of the best action games have tons of figths where you figth 3+ oponents.

So beautiful people, W3EE or Ghost Mode?

I'd be leaning towards the former given how different it is from the base game (I have the impression that GM is polished Vanilla-style on steroids) but it looks like I will be rolling around a mouse like an ADD kid on speed.

Danikas

Arcane
So beautiful people, W3EE or Ghost Mode?

I'd be leaning towards the former given how different it is from the base game (I have the impression that GM is polished Vanilla-style on steroids) but it looks like I will be rolling around a mouse like an ADD kid on speed.
W3EE you can customize it to your liking, my advice turn off autistic weight limit, give yourself more vigour so you can cast couple signs in a row like in witcher 2 and you are golden.

There are all these people talking up W3EE, but I have never seen ANY of them make any kind of a decent argument as to HOW W3EE improves combat. Every single youtube video of it looks worse than vanilla combat. From the feature description, it just seems it exploits the dumb AI and lets you kill stuff even faster and with less resistance, as opposed to vanilla, where you at least sometimes have to defend and counter.

Completely untrue.
If your game truly has a good action combat system then you can have figths agains multiple oponents.
Some of the best action games have tons of figths where you figth 3+ oponents.

I would argue that any game where you are fighting 3+ opponents at once is crap (in the context of action combat, we are not talking turb-based tactical). A person cannot focus on 3 different things at once, so the only way such a combat system would work is by having gimped trash level opponents. Are you talking about Batman Arkham games where you are just zooming around like a retard on steroids? All good combat systems emphasize single combat (KCD, Dark Souls, BotW).

There are all these people talking up W3EE, but I have never seen ANY of them make any kind of a decent argument as to HOW W3EE improves combat. Every single youtube video of it looks worse than vanilla combat. From the feature description, it just seems it exploits the dumb AI and lets you kill stuff even faster and with less resistance, as opposed to vanilla, where you at least sometimes have to defend and counter.
I’ve repeatedly stated how. Go back in this thread. The YouTube videos are demonstrations by the devs, who are obviously experts at their own mod. Just like the ghost mod videos demonstrating the combat don’t have the devs dying repeatedly either. Or are you upset that random human NPCs aren’t HP sponges for no reason?

And it’s not just combat that W3ee improves, but it improves the non-linearity of the game by making it actually function as designed. You can now visit Skelega first, the city second and Velen last if you want.

Maybe you should just try it instead of watching YouTube videos and bitching about fighting more than one enemy at a time. But if you think good combat is having the outcome of a fight determined solely by your experience points and how high a level your sword is, there’s no hope for you.

And, frankly, since Dark Souls seems to be the game you want to play, maybe just play it instead since you’re clearly not going to be happy with a game that has fights with trash mobs of *normal humans* in it rather than giant HP sponge demons that you can autistically whack your sword against for 15 minutes for what I assume is a greater sense of accomplishment in your book.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I would argue that any game where you are fighting 3+ opponents at once is crap (in the context of action combat, we are not talking turb-based tactical). A person cannot focus on 3 different things at once...

I am also arguing in the context of action games. And it seems to me you haven't played many good ones of those, because again the best ones have regular figths against multiple oponents.
And it seems people can focus on more than 3 targets at once:

NG2 is like playable cocaine:

All good combat systems emphasize single combat (KCD, Dark Souls, BotW).

>KDC
>good combat

Those games don't have good combat.

KCD is the perfect example of why you shouldn't strive for the most realistic experience possible on a videogame (unless you're making a simulation that is), because videogames work best when they are an exageration of real life.

It's combat is both janky and clunky (not off to a good start); movement is stiff; having lock-on on a 1st person camera is fucking retarded; since the game is built around swords, all other weapon types fall apart and aren't distinct in their use; asides from the perfect block (which becomes piss easy) there's really nothing to master; the challenge almost disapears if you the character is high level and has the rigth (and while you may claim that is a good thing on a roleplay level, it's just not good game design for the final hours of content to be the less engaging ones); and finally the combat just gives me this feeling that the devs wanted the figths to be both somewhat choreographed and based on the player skill, but in the end it's just restrictive, boring and a bit shallow.

Mordhau and For Honor did a better job at making a combat system that is inspired by the real thing, but unlike KCD they are fun and have depth to master (specially For Honor).

Dark Souls combat is decent. That's it. It doesn't have any glaring problems but it also doesn't possess any remarkable qualities and deep gameply aspects to it.
Severance and Nioh are far, far better game's in their combat system than DS is.
I've already said it many times, so I'l pretty much be quoting past posts of mine:

BoD on the other hand is entirely about the combat.
Every weapon is different from each other, even when they are of the same type. Each character has a vastly different but still well though out playstyle.
The difference between the way you execute your moves in BoD and DS, is a very good example of not only how different those games are but also why DS combat isn't really that good to be considered one of the best.
In one game, you only have the choice between pressing two buttons - one executes a fast and light attack, the other a slow but powerful attack. It's practical and functional for sure, but lacks variety and doesn't add a whole lot of challenge making it not near as enganging - the fact that all weapons of the same type will execute the same animations/moves doesn't help in any regard. On the other game however, you have to constantly assess your current situation to determine the best move. Severance might not be as simple to pick up as DS, but when you become adept in with, it becomes a far more fun and engaging to play, as well as possing more depth to it. Severance's combat gives you that dance feel that any good melee action combat should give you, and it undoubtedly has a higher skill ceiling than DS (another important aspect that any Action game should have).

Nioh is very good. IMO Severance, Nioh and For Honor are the best games when of that type - although I would also add Dark Messiah, but DM is not as techincal as those 3 and because it's clearly trying to be a more "creative" thing.
While Severance has it's combos, and For Honor is trying to be like a figthing game. Nioh is interesting in that it gears you to be agressive but at the same time be very carefull with your stamina. The stance system modifies your attack speed, damage stamina consuption, the poise break, dodge range and speed, block defense and finally your weapon's moveset. So it's combat is about constant assessment and adaptation to the situation.
There are also skills that let you customized that moveset to a degree - like if you follow up a light attack chain with a heavy attack, you instantely swicth from X stance to Y stance - but they are mostly "special" moves - like a backstab, a launcher, an attack that clear the demons magic field, etc....

Zelda BotW is different.
Again like DS there's no ineherent problem to it - although BotW has even less deph to it since there's no stamina consuption to any move aside from the heavy attack - but it isn't trying to have a excellent combat mechanics but rather excellent enemy design.
Also you've seem to forgot that aside from the sub-bosses (like the Lynels), the player almost always figths groups of enemies in BotW

Still a game with also emphasis on enemy design (but with an also great combat system) is Dragon's Dogma.

Last edited:
I’ve repeatedly stated how. Go back in this thread...

Sorry, I am not reading through a 7 page thread for a simple answer. And the problem with the videos isn't that the devs are good, it's that the combat appears to be completely non-interactive. Player doesn't seem to have to respond to anything NPCs do (even worse than in vanilla), but just swoops around killing everything. That is NOT how combat works.

We might agree to disagree on what we prefer, but you are not getting my point. Whatever combat system you use, if you can defeat 3 enemies at the same time, that means those enemies are trash tier. A proper enemy would require your full attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom