Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Sodafish

Arcane
is there a mod which removes level requirements from equipment?

Yes:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1542/?

And yes, the way they're done in the game is retarded. You could argue having them at all is stupid (and it is), but regardless there's no way you can get to level 40+ in the main game without some seriously insanity-inducing grinding, and yes there are many items with restrictions that high.

the problem i see is that i remember being able to put together the best griffin set like 10-15 levels before i could wear it. i'm frigging geralt, i don't need some god's permission to wear fancy stuff u_u
also a total rework of all the hp/damage ressistances would be needed: it's idiotic that i just can't kill that mob overthere because i deal no damage but come later with 5 levels more, exactly same equipment and skills, and i can humiliate it. but this would require a lot more effort than a single "remove levels reqs" does :/ with just these changes, no level reqs, better inventory and a gothic-like combat system it'd have been truly perfect.

Sodafish

Arcane
the problem i see is that i remember being able to put together the best griffin set like 10-15 levels before i could wear it. i'm frigging geralt, i don't need some god's permission to wear fancy stuff u_u
also a total rework of all the hp/damage ressistances would be needed: it's idiotic that i just can't kill that mob overthere because i deal no damage but come later with 5 levels more, exactly same equipment and skills, and i can humiliate it. but this would require a lot more effort than a single "remove levels reqs" does :/ with just these changes, no level reqs, better inventory and a gothic-like combat system it'd have been truly perfect.

Tell me about it. I remember in my first playthrough finding the diagram for the Harpy sword (which is lvl 37 restricted IIRC) when I was about level 8. I couldn't use it for the entire game.

FYI there's a mod to remove the damage resistance of higher level enemies too.

Sodafish

Arcane
That's not the one I remember, but I'm sure there are several which do similar things. That one looks like a much bigger overhaul.

hilfazer

Scholar
MadMaxHellfire I think it was this one I was thinking of:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/533/?tab=1&navtag=http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/ajax/moddescription/?id=533&preview=&pUp=1

It's two parts, but you can just get the "mod_NoEnemyLvlDiffAdjustment" part to remove the stupid damage reduction on red skull enemies.

edit: shit, looks like it hasn't been updated in a while, so might not work with latest patch.
I checked it with standard install + 2 expansions v1.31 and also with GOTY v1.31 and it worked.
Some files are old because there was no need to update them. I'm gonna edit version of the whole thing.
Some of those big combat overhaul mods already deal with red skull crap so my mod would be redundant.

in the end, looks like i'll go for "enhanced edition" http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1814/? seems like a big overhaul, suggested by other modders, includes a lot of single mods i was going to install anyway, should make the combat different and engaging enough to warrant fun in my second playthrough.

now i only need to convince my depression to let me install the game and all.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah but Novigrad is still 10 times too small for a city with 30000 people living in it.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Yeah but Novigrad is still 10 times too small for a city with 30000 people living in it.
Quality over quantity. Novigrad looks lived in, as do many areas in TW3, and that aspect is missing from a lot of RPGs.

How the occupant of a dungeon lives and how they meet their daily needs probably isn't at the forefront of anyone's mind, but logical inconsistencies can be nagging no matter how many times one throws their arms up in the air to declare 'it's just a game!' The Witcher 3 not only cares enough to answer the question, but it often makes it part of an intriguing questline. Who can forget...
The greedy Sylvan masquerading as a god from a magically concealed cellar to trick the local peasantry into bringing him supplies, the Succubus satiating its desires by striking a mutual agreement with a brothel, the gang of Nekkers using a poisonous cave (which they had developed an immunity) to hide their lair near a trade route, and numerous other examples.

Gerrard

Arcane

Well in real life, Manila has a population density of 41,515 per square km. If anything, Novigrad isn't crowded enough NPC-wise.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Did you seriously just compare a modern city's population density to a medieval one?
Regardless, even if you assumed 10 people living in every building you see on the map you would not be anywhere near that number.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Regardless, even if you assumed 10 people living in every building you see on he map you would not be anywhere near that number.

They could make the city GTA-sized, and you'd simply spend more time running around going to quest NPCs\locations. I don't see the point in adding more props.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Novigrad is pretty much the perfect size for the purpose it serves in the game. It looks big enough that it could actually have thousands of people living in it, yet it is compact enough that you won't die of boredom when you travel across it. It's a big step up from your typical RPG cities with a dozen citizens and an equal number of guards living in them, and you'd probably have to go all the way to Daggerfall to find something of a comparable size.

Perkel

Arcane
You forgot most important part. City is unique enough that you don't need map to figure out where you are and how to get to somewhere.

It is like antibetsheda design where they make everything unique and no two screens are the same.

Gerrard

Arcane
You forgot most important part. City is unique enough that you don't need map to figure out where you are and how to get to somewhere.
Yeah, no.

And before they made the map not shit and actually placed all the shops on it finding anything was a massive pain in the ass.

Quillon

Arcane
For me, finding stuff was pretty easy in Novigrad except the southern part, specifically Hattori's shop was in a confusing location for me, had to look at the map almost every time for that. Otherwise I think game suffered from third person angle especially with that fov. Now that I found a first person mod, just for exploration which was what I wanted all along but seems it doesn't work with the latest version of the game according to comments. I'll jump back in when/if that mod gets an update, just to experience the game in FP.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1862/?

bat_boro

Arcane
I'm replaying the GOTY (previously played wild hunt + hearts of stone) and I'm wondering if I should go Triss this time. Felt the Yennefer quest at the end (The Last Wish I believe) was really great, as well as the dialogue and conclusion. How does the Triss one compare?

I never got to play this because at release the performance was terrible on my potato laptop. Now, with Goty edition and patches, I am able to play it.
I did read on the Codex that is a good game and I was so frustrated because I couldn't play it. In fact, it was the only game I couldn't play on my potato.
I am really impressed with what I have seen so far, I am at Novigrad right now .
Man, the ciry feel so alive, I can't believe NPC,s really have their own agenda.
I did play the other 2 and I have to say for once I really enjoy listening to all the dialogue.
Did the Baron quest and I was really enjoying every detail. Don't know about replayability and branching story though...
I think it will take years until another great game can even compare to Witcher 3.

Frozen

Arcane
Novigrad problem is that it looks alive but there is not much you can do in it, 3-4 shops and that's it- Hattori for crafting gear, Vivaldi to change coin and any tavern to by food.
It goes with itemization problem of TW3 where 99% of stuff is useless junk.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm replaying the GOTY (previously played wild hunt + hearts of stone) and I'm wondering if I should go Triss this time. Felt the Yennefer quest at the end (The Last Wish I believe) was really great, as well as the dialogue and conclusion. How does the Triss one compare?
A bit late, but:
Triss' is nice, especially the first "romantic" party quest is quite sweet.
But IMO nothing on the level of the first encounter with Yennefer and the Last Wish quest. I kinda regret picking Triss before I met Yennefer in-game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Novigrad problem is that it looks alive but there is not much you can do in it, 3-4 shops and that's it- Hattori for crafting gear, Vivaldi to change coin and any tavern to by food.
It goes with itemization problem of TW3 where 99% of stuff is useless junk.
Well, first off, you have to give them credit for making it look alive. It would have been a lot easier for them to half ass it and having a game city that feels like a giant city (as opposed to the horrible hub abomination that Besethda made the Imperial City in Oblivion into, or the tiny walled villages in Skyrim) is kinda nice. Plus, the extra space made all the quests discoverable. On my second playthrough I found all sorts of quests I missed the first time. The size of TW3 did add to the game tremendously.

Secondly, I agree that itemization was one of Witcher 3's larger problems. You go through this whole quest to get a custom "sword that can kill gods" and it winds up being some lame piece of junk that you can literally pick up anywhere in the game world. But that's more a function of trends in gaming to please causal ADHD gamers who want l00t in every 30 minute play session.

I would far prefer a smaller number of upgradeable and unique upgradable swords, but in a game this big, it's understandable that they would want to put a lot of loot to keep players interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom