Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Gerrard

Arcane
Disappointment? You underestimate the Neogaf continent on RPG Codex. Lots of people will think this is GOTY 10/10.

You know Neogaf posters are here when you see bitching that you can't make Geralt black, that you can't make him a post-op tranny and that you can't have him suck the cock of every guy he meets.
And that you can't get cucked by your "friends".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ah, new thread smell. So, fanboys, how is this game less shit than Witcher 2?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Tried it a little bit (only five minutes into the tutorial or so), and it seems to run really well with my R9 270x with high-ish graphics settings as long as you disable Hairworks. Loading times at the beginning are almost nonexistent and the game also looks better than I expected, actually much better than in some of the Ultra screenshots that have been posted recently, although that might just be the first area. Maybe it'll turn into a diashow when the combat starts or when you get to the big maps, I don't know, but it seems promising so far.

Kiste

Augur
So, fanboys, how is this game less shit than Witcher 2?

Ciri.
tard.gif

Deleted member 7219

I really like the game so far. Played an hour and a half.

Have all settings on ultra except for grass and shadows, which I put down to high, and the stupid settings like DoF, blur and chromatic aberration which I turned straight off. I also turned off hairworks because it wasn't worth the performance hit. I followed the NVIDIA guide here, which is very useful for telling you what has a performance cost and what doesn't: http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/...-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Anyway, with all the eyecandy on ultra or high, at 1920x1080, I'm getting 45 FPS in outdoor areas, 50 FPS indoors. I'll take that on my Core 2 Quad 9650 3ghz, 4GB GeForce 960.

As for the game itself, way too early to tell. In terms of combat I did the opening tutorial and the wolves with Vesemir, and I got hit down to half health because I went in swinging my sword like an idiot. I turned the setting up to the second hardest difficulty.

Nyast

Cipher
Radeon 7970 here, 2 years old, game runs and looks crap. Disappointed :(

Cinematics struggle to keep a decent framerate ( sometimes it's ok, sometimes it slows down to less than 10 fps for a second or two ). The game itself runs average, around 20-30 fps, on medium settings. Tried to disable more stuff, tried to reduce resolution to 1280x1024, didn't seem to help. Butthurt.

Not much to say about gameplay yet, only half an hour in.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I also played about hour and a half. Game runs smooth except in some cutscenes, feels like its intentional to slow-mo Geralts face to show off his emotions. Its probably that hair gfx bullshit.
That was with old drivers, we'll see tomorrow if there is any improvements.
Its 2 am overhere so Im off to sleep.

Playing on "bones" diff, won a few fights and then lv4 drowners fucked up my lv1 Geralt. Need to have twitchy fingers for this one and get used to control scheme.

Nyast

Cipher
Radeon 7970 here, 2 years old

That GPU was released 3.5 years ago.

Yup, it was bad timing, that gpu was at the end of its generation.

I bought a brand new computer just 2 years ago, in may too ( may 2013 ). AMD released the next-gen gpus ( R200 series and above ) in end 2013. Before that, the Radeon 7970 was a high-end card ( not the top most, but still on the top ). Nowaday, it feels like it's crap. Not a nice feeling :(

Thing I don't get is, theorically the 7970 is better than PS4's gpu, right. Well, it certainly does not look and seem to run even at PS4's 30 fps. So fuck.

Sothpaw

Learned
Yup, it was bad timing, that gpu was at the end of its generation.

I bought a brand new computer just 2 years ago, in may too ( may 2013 ). AMD released the next-gen gpus ( R200 series and above ) in end 2013. Before that, the Radeon 7970 was a high-end card ( not the top most, but still on the top ). Nowaday, it feels like it's crap. Not a nice feeling :(

Thing I don't get is, theorically the 7970 is better than PS4's gpu, right. Well, it certainly does not look and seem to run even at PS4's 30 fps. So fuck.

A 7970 is better than the PS4 yes. Maybe it's the rest of your system. IDK I have a 7970 too but I'm going to wait until this is $19.99 or Steam or something.

Last edited:

Pegultagol

Erudite
I heard somewhere PS4's GPU is similar to 7870. Same boat as some of you, I have only a 7950. I hope CDP does some optimizations along with AMD, but since Wither 3 is a Nvidia sponsored title through and through with a lot of embedded proprietary techs, I am not holding my breath :(

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Was Geralt adopted by Sherlock Holmes? Fucking hell,he's like a prodigy of investigation world and talking while finding the next clue is cringe worthy...
The game is buggy as fuck,my horse got stuck in a rock two times and i couldn't move,had to reload.
-Peasants are getting stuck in a weird animation like they are doing calisthenics
-The controls are garbage,garbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage,fucking hell,it's like they didn't even tried to adjust some things for pc folks
-UI is garbage,everything is designed for console tards that can't press more than two buttons
-Horrible graphics,the foliage is very ugly and seems to strain your eyes if you are in a zone with more grass.
-The game has some stuttering problems when you move your camera suddenly...
-Unique quests? Don't make me laugh ,pressing right button to find a clue is not a unique quest.

Horrible release,should have stayed in development 1 more year.

Mortmal

Arcane
Works perfectly fine on my old hardware (GT560+ I5 2500K) , except one thing and only one thing, the NVidia hairwork option. Really smooth and well over 30 fps all the time so far. Might not even need to upgrade.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
7970 is now too antiquated to play AAA games? Please. It's like people think you need to buy a new GPU every generation.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Works perfectly fine on my old hardware (GT560+ I5 2500K) , except one thing and only one thing, the NVidia hairwork option. Really smooth and well over 30 fps all the time so far. Might not even need to upgrade.
How high are your settings? I still have a 460 gtx. I figured I could probably get medium out of it at 30+ FPS. Probably going to wait a bit for an upgrade before playing though.

Mortmal

Arcane
How high are your settings? I still have a 460 gtx. I figured I could probably get medium out of it at 30+ FPS. Probably going to wait a bit for an upgrade before playing though.

I ve put every options in "numeric treatment " on except ambient occlusion , in graphic options all textures to high, numbers of details to high , grass and trees to medium, number of character to medium, shadows to low.No AA ,no hairwork, that option is really huge performance drop , playing at 1980x1080. No frame rate drop ever, amazing optimization so far.Really enjoying it atm , the high requirement specs are likely marketing bullshit to sell us new cards, what I get is a console port, it plays with a pad and it doesn't require a monster to run.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Game defaulted everything to High for me with 780/2500k/8GB, works great after I disabled hairworks for Geralt (indoors / close to walls etc. when camera momentarily zooms on Geralt you'd get huge FPS drops, not really worth it at all - given that the effect isn't all that great to begin with).

Black

Arcane
The game is goty of all yeras, all the steam reviews with half an hour on record say so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom