Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Cromwell

Arcane
How the hell do you change lock on target?

Think it just always goes for the closest one, so just hit the button again.
No, it doesn't work that way. If you hit the button again you miss the focus. Can it be you can't change lock on target? :retarded:

As far as I tried you cant. I had the exact same problem, in W" you could tab through targets if you tab the button again here iit does nothing.

bonescraper

ticxzy.jpg

Not bad... :prosper:

Really wish you could freely move the UI elements around, it's pretty fugly as is.
Protip: there's an option to make it smaller.

628C71C4F0CDE1095AB47B22600DCD06ADD7E0A6

TedNugent

Arcane
It's finally out? Why do I not give a shit..

I can't even be bothered to download it right now

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Just played about an hour or so on the March of War Difficulty. The restriction of health regeneration except with food is a nice touch. I admit though, that the game runs like shit on my computer, and so I am not sure how the harder fights will stack up.

My initial impression is that it is mostly witcher 2 combat with some added elements. I do like the ability to explore and find gear or crafting materials. For example, when you ride with Vesimir to the first village, you can walk by the beach and find a chest guarded by drowners. I get the sense that you can ignore the main quest and just go hunting, which is nice (so far).

Ah, new thread smell. So, fanboys, how is this game less shit than Witcher 2?

Depends. Combat-wise, I do not think it is all that different. On the March of War difficulty, it feels like you almost have to roll/dodge spam, because the monsters hit hard and health regeneration is limited. Then again, I have only played about an hour or so of the game.

I do get the sense that there is more opportunity to just mess around on the world map and craft items.

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After the masterpiece that was Witcher 2 I find this surprising. Maybe they think Poland needs all the help it can get.

:retarded:
That was clearly sarcasm.

Wanted to take a look at an average quest, so watched some LPer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY9SHrCw2o (skip to ~22mins to see what I mean) doing some noonwraith hunting quest. Holy shit, can the constant QUEST UPDATED BESTIARY UPDATED giant popups be turned off? They just blast you with that shit. Also noticed sidequests appear on the mini map as exclamation marks before you know anything is there, very rockstar - go to icon on map, get mission to go to icon on map. Seems to be alternate ways to do the quests once you get there though, which is cool. Also choices at the end where you can decide who/how someone gets punished for whatever problem you're solving, so that's nice.

Interested in playing it, will likely wait for an EE this time. Never even got around to playing W2 EE after finishing it at launch, so don't want the one playthrough to be the incomplete edition.

Sothpaw

Learned
You'll want that glorious tattoo to properly bond with BROche, so yes. The game does let you go through your previous choices again if you wish to, but I think some small details require a save import.

Is BROche in this game and is he still a bro?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I meant to add: I would avoid dismounting from your horse near villagers. Two peasant women were walking right by my horse and I could not dismount or even move the horse forward. I saved and performed a reload, which fixed it. It was still annoying though.

MasPingon

Arcane
How the hell do you change lock on target?

Think it just always goes for the closest one, so just hit the button again.
No, it doesn't work that way. If you hit the button again you miss the focus. Can it be you can't change lock on target? :retarded:

As far as I tried you cant. I had the exact same problem, in W" you could tab through targets if you tab the button again here iit does nothing.

:what:

This is beyond retarded. Why the hell did they get rid of this option?

bonescraper

Combat is pretty much identical to TW2 but:

- it's more responsive and less floaty
- signs are done better
- there are 2 evade options, a short dodge and a roll that drains a bit of your stamina, so, if you roll all the time, you won't be albe to cast too many signs

Cromwell

Arcane
After the masterpiece that was Witcher 2 I find this surprising. Maybe they think Poland needs all the help it can get.

:retarded:
That was clearly sarcasm.

Wanted to take a look at an average quest, so watched some LPer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY9SHrCw2o (skip to ~22mins to see what I mean) doing some noonwraith hunting quest. Holy shit, can the constant QUEST UPDATED BESTIARY UPDATED giant popups be turned off? They just blast you with that shit. Also noticed sidequests appear on the mini map as exclamation marks before you know anything is there, very rockstar - go to icon on map, get mission to go to icon on map. Seems to be alternate ways to do the quests once you get there though, which is cool. Also choices at the end where you can decide who/how someone gets punished for whatever problem you're solving, so that's nice.

Interested in playing it, will likely wait for an EE this time. Never even got around to playing W2 EE after finishing it at launch, so don't want the one playthrough to be the incomplete edition.

You can disable that if you want so it shows nothing. If you want to truly explore the world on your own you should, but even enabled it doesnt say what exactly will await you there. I fullfilled my first witcher contract and killed a noonwraith, because I am an idiot I died. I still would recommend the highest difficulty for anyone who is good at action games, since I dont found the fight very hard. I had no oil no bombs nothing, I just used signs and I already play on the second hardest. Either they make it harder later or I would assume getting way to strong. I am tempted to try that fight again ion the second lowest and lowest difficulty just to know how that must be.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
"Anywhere you see, you can go."

Started the game, completed the intro, first thing I did was run to the edge of the map. "You've reached the world's end. Turn back." :hmmm:

Divinity: Original Sin
Lighting and foliage are ugly in sunrise and sunset. But with normal midday and midnight times the game is nice. Though full-moon night is clear as day. I'm running it with everything in ultra, HBAO+ on, depth of field and chromatic aberration off, blur off. The hair thing is on, and the only FPS below 30 was in the cutscene where geralts notices the doll ciri was fighting had a person. It was bothering me to the point i'd turn it off, but the game is playing very smoothly since that part, between 45-50 FPS, which I'm actually ok with it.

But there are gorgeous sights to behold, like the characters you can talk with (not random NPCs), each one is very unique and I didn't find any repeated face yet, and they're very well done. Textures are sharp enough for a vanilla game.

Oh, the water is a hideous gelatin.

Overall, it's very atmosperic and reminds me of witcher 1 vibe.

My rig is i7-2600 + 16Gb Ram + GTX970.

Combat is similar to witcher 2 but I yet have to master the control scheme, you use shift+mb1 to strong attack and mb1 alone for fast attack, since mouse 2 is used for defending/parrying.

Random NPCs are like NPCs in the witcher series: Lots of peds that repeat a set of frases, just like in W1 and W2. So this game feels like a GTA game. Thou as I said there's lots of unique NPCs also, and they're cool.

The interface is better that witcher 2, and you can actually manage the menus using just a mouse and some shortcut keys without having to constantly change your hands position on the Kb. But still dsigned for controllers.

I said it has a GTA vibe, and some people were geting the gothic vibe. Well, I was walking around with geralt and I jumped close to a small shack and he grabbed the roof's ledge, something I didn't intent to do but remindme of gothics similar ability, in the way geralt's animatiion behaved. But that's the only thing gothic wise, because i remember gothic's NPC to be unique, each one having a name and function, while in the witcher 3 we have generic people populating the area. Oh, also you have GPS GTA style, which marks the way you have to follow, and a key that you pres and your horse follows that direction with no need for your input.

I'm using a witcher 2 save, where I side with roche and he is now allied with radovid and wearing red, letho is alive, Síle is alive. I'm eager to see what are they doing now.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
All trolling aside, the game is basically Witcher 2 but improved in most ways.. (except when it's not)

• Combat is still shit.. but slightly better then Witcher 2.. I just hate this kind of combat.
  • Graphics are slightly improved.. Not so much textures but Water is 100x better and trees actually flow in wind.. ect (If you don't like the water on Ultra settings, you need glasses)
  • Full Day / Night Cycle and it actually matters for monster behavior
  • Guards React to theft, other then that you can go full kleptomaniac as always
  • Quests are of MUCH better quality then Witcher 2
  • Writing is about the same as Witcher 2, it's definitely Above average then most games, sometimes high quality IMO
  • World / Level Design is better then Witcher 2.. Period
  • No Loading Screens
  • You Actually Fight Monsters and use the bestiary to overcome / prepare ahead of time like a Witcher is supposed to....

If you hated Witcher / Witcher 2, you won't like this game. If you loved those games, you will be fanboying over this hard. At the end of the day, I play Witcher games for story / immersion. It's one of the few games that does Fantasy without going kungu wizard ninja all over itself, the niche of gritty RPG's that aren't try hard is pretty small but combat will always get in the way.

TL;DR It's better then PoE. :smug:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, just downloaded it and was frantically playing TW2 to finish before this came out. Actually, the world be damned, the more I play TW2, the more I like it. There are some "quest compassy" things, but quests like "Troll Trouble" where it doesn't tell you where the troll is, where the mounted head is, or quest related NPC's until you meet them, it's not all bad.

Played a little of TW3, and I'll probably like it, but I can't play the game until I have a TW2 savegame to import. I took my savegame from TW1 to 2, I'm not stopping now. Dammit.

Cromwell

Arcane
well.... I have my first weapon oil now, I switch to inventory screen get the fucking use the oil tooltip and the game freezes.

Divinity: Original Sin
  • Graphics are slightly improved.. Not so much textures but Water is 100x better and trees actually flow in wind.. ect (If you don't like the water on Ultra settings, you need glasses)
The water is terrible, for game that brags about visuals, I've seen water better rendered in lot's of games, some even don't dare to be considered AAA super graphics whore bait.

Witcher 1 water is much better.

Oh, and water in ultra settings differ very little from low settings.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I need an upgrade. Recommend me NVIDIA card for this game.

need-upgrade.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom