Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher delayed

Jora

Arcane
In what ways does it differ from Gothic? And I don't mean controls, but the overall presentation, characters, gameworld, interaction etc.

MasPingon

Arcane
1 As far as I know - no. You probably already saw an interface and "hero screen" on the screenshots. There are no percentage speech skills, nor persuasion. CDP decided not to change Geralt intellect, if any of you are familiar with the book then you know what I mean. It doesn't stop you from playing the game the way you want to. According of what dialoge option you choose it affect a game, as it was already told in previews, in powerfull way. I can't tell you any detail( not that I don't want to), but sometimes it remainds me an interactive movie - you choose how the story will go on.

2 Yes, you can be evil if you want to

Jora said:
In what ways does it differ from Gothic? And I don't mean controls, but the overall presentation, characters, gameworld, interaction etc.

The greatest difference is that it's not an open ended world. You are comin from location to location, like in Fallout, BG, NWN. What part of Gothic series do you have in mind?Then I can tell you( Gothic 3 was a lot different then G1/2 IMO)

Ausir

Arcane
Yeah, 1. wouldn't make sense in this case, since you don't create a character, but play a predefined character -Geralt, the main character of the Witcher novels (which I think is a bad idea, they initially were going to have another witcher as the main character, but they changed their mind during development and brought Geralt back *from the dead*).

Good god, 2007 is a perfect release choice for a RPG game, because we all now that 2008 is already reserved for "FALLOUT 3 - RPG OF DA YEAR!!".

Jora

Arcane
MasPingon said:
The greatest difference is that it's not an open ended world. You are comin from location to location, like in Fallout, BG, NWN. What part of Gothic series do you have in mind?Then I can tell you( Gothic 3 was a lot different then G1/2 IMO)
Haven't played Gothig 3, so I was mainly thinking about the first two. What are the maps like? Are they linear and railroaded with scripted events like in Knights of the Old Republic?

stargelman

Scholar
Globbi said:
-There will be a quest compass! - in a corner there will be a small map and an arrow pointing where to go. No idea if it is optional. Still, Madej said there will be no leading by hand and the game won't do anything for you.
Oh yeah, I'll believe that again!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

spacemoose

Erudite
what's your opinion on the side-quests? are they flavorful - do you get a sense of the characters' motivations?

and on that note, have you seen a lot of "bring me 6 herbs and I'll give you 50g" fetch quests?

Globbi

Augur
MasPingon said:
Yes, you can be evil if you want to
How can you be evil? You only choose teh evil options in dialogues? Are there any conseqences of doing bad things (stealing, killing innocent) or everyone quickly fogets that you killed half of city population like in TES4?

Can you talk to any people (I mean with dialogue, not to hear "hey, nice day") or only with those you must?

Have you tried romancing? If yes, what can you tell about it?

Smacemoose said:
and if it does, then what kind - more like salami or kielbasa?
Salami is a kind of kiełbasa. Kiełbasa is a general word with the same meaning as sausage.

fastpunk

Arbiter
50 hours of main quest? I'll believe that when I'll see it.

About the delay: whatever! As long as it delivers the goods they can delay it till next year.

MasPingon

Arcane
Spacemoose said:
and if it does, then what kind - more like salami or kielbasa?

"We are not trying to make a game for those who like kielbasa or salami. The Witcher is for those who like kielbasa and salami". As I said before, do not expect some "underground" crpg for hardcore gamers.

As you know The Witcher is working on aurora engine. Forget about that, if you wouldn't know that you would never say it has something in common in terms of graphics. Yes, you are limited - you cant go everywhere, there are some paths leading to some places(like in Kotor) but I felt you got more freedom in movement.

Graphics are very good, you don't get a feeling "omg, it's a next gen sh1t", but I'm sure you will be satisfied, at least I was. It's closest to Mass Effect, but to tell a truth ME looks a bit better for this day. Those gameplay movies from 2006 are not telling the whole story, it looks much better now. It's hard to compare it to such a games like Gothic 3 or Oblivion - TW graphic are more ummm...serious. You won't see any overexposed effects like bloom or field of view(tho they are there), it isn't so colorfull as Oblivion.

As for side quest - there are planty. Most of them are "the witcher job" but it's not as simple as it looks like. "Kill the creature" quest could turn in something more complex and unexpected

Romance - yes, I saw it. It could be entertaining:] It is a sort of side quest and it isn't only "give me some sugar baby. Oh and here is 50 gold". There will be planty of chicks to "romance" with.

Haven't played Gothig 3, so I was mainly thinking about the first two. What are the maps like? Are they linear and railroaded with scripted events like in Knights of the Old Republic?

If I would compare TW to any of the Gothic series it would be Gothic 2. The scale of the world map, character interaction, feeling of the living world, chapters, story driven gameplay - it's all there. It has more in common to Kotor tho - a lot of cutscenes and aspecially storydriving,but with more complex moral decisions( you know "lasser of two evils"). There is not for example such a thing as a "reputation" - your reputation could b different in different places

Bradylama

Arcane
If I would compare TW to any of the Gothic series it would be Gothic 2.

Well I'm sold.

Yes, you are limited - you cant go everywhere, there are some paths leading to some places(like in Kotor) but I felt you got more freedom in movement.

So, maps are several acres large, but you access them somewhat linearly... like in Gothic?

Is there a reason to go back to areas previously traveled, is the world contiguous, and if not is there some sort of overmap feature ala NWN 2?

MasPingon

Arcane
Remember that I saw only a begining of the game. It will be a kind of linear - it's not Fallout game type in terms of nonlinearity. You can't go everywhere from the starting spot.New places will apear as you following the main plot. At least that's what I understood. As you proceed you can go back to old locations ofcourse

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
MasPingon said:
As for side quest - there are planty. Most of them are "the witcher job" but it's not as simple as it looks like. "Kill the creature" quest could turn in something more complex and unexpected

I truly hope that the quests can be resolved in many ways...at least most of them.

Romance - yes, I saw it. It could be entertaining:] It is a sort of side quest and it isn't only "give me some sugar baby. Oh and here is 50 gold". There will be planty of chicks to "romance" with.

Sounds promising and quite faithful to the book, I am wondering how deep those relationships can be...

Bradylama

Arcane
MasPingon said:
As you proceed you can go back to old locations ofcourse

Good, but what I'm also asking is whether or not the game world is contiguous. Say, if it has a map where new locations pop up contextually, like NWN 2, or if it's a sort of zone-based world where you go to the edge of the map and load up a new area, like in STALKER.

Something like Gothic is mostly contiguous, only in Gothic 2 there were two large areas, one for the new part of Khorinis, and one for the old camp area (but I bet you know that).

This isn't really important, I'm just curious. ;)

MasPingon

Arcane
Bradylama said:
MasPingon said:
As you proceed you can go back to old locations ofcourse

Good, but what I'm also asking is whether or not the game world is contiguous. Say, if it has a map where new locations pop up contextually, like NWN 2, or if it's a sort of zone-based world where you go to the edge of the map and load up a new area, like in STALKER.

You know, I don't have a good ansfer for that. From what I saw it could be both. There will be some places where you just go from one location to another (suburb(?) of Wyzima -> Wyzima) and locations that are far away from each other, which just pop up on map. I can't tell you precisely.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
MasPingon said:
It's not my "news" and I do not cooperate with CDP, but you are a dead man for that picture ;]
BTW, "you made the news" means "you appeared in the news".

So, did you sign the special secret legal paper saying among other things that the sole action of signing it is secret, and is that why you're not allowed to answer specific questions? :D

MasPingon

Arcane
Elwro said:
MasPingon said:
It's not my "news" and I do not cooperate with CDP, but you are a dead man for that picture ;]
BTW, "you made the news" means "you appeared in the news".

Ugh :oops:

So, did you sign the special secret legal paper saying among other things that the sole action of signing it is secret, and is that why you're not allowed to answer specific questions? :D

There are things CDP would like to keep in secret (like SPOILERS) but everyone is free to make his own opinion, if that's what bothers you :]

Bradylama

Arcane
MasPingon said:
You know, I don't have a good ansfer for that. From what I saw it could be both. There will be some places where you just go from one location to another (suburb(?) of Wyzima -> Wyzima) and locations that are far away from each other, which just pop up on map. I can't tell you precisely.

I think I have a good idea, thanks.

Last question: Madej is ok with you answering questions like this?

Globbi

Augur
How much combat is there? And is the game interesting when not fighting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom