Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Franchise Sales Revealed

Dexter

Arcane

https://www.dualshockers.com/witcher-sales-ps4-xbox-one-pc/
Witcher2.jpg

Witcher.jpg

Witcher3.jpg

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Interesting (but not unexpected) that PC has the most longevity. 2017 PC revenue is still at like 75% of the 1st year revenue - that's remarkable.

Also 400M USD in gross revenue for TW3.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
can people post more excerpts of interviews of Witcher author crying over how the games have ruined his books please

that shit gives me life

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's so interesting is that PC revenue is so front loaded, then second year revenue is actually killed by the discounting. Makes you wonder what's the bigger threat to gaming companies, piracy or Steam sales

Falksi

Arcane
Spending the next 5 years watching fucktarded companies try to mimic TW3 is gonna be interesting that's for sure.

EA/Biowank will undoubtably be the most amusing. Seeing Dragon Age: Inquisition & Mass Effect: Andromeda spectacularly fail at trying to capture Skyrim's high-selling open world, was just the start of this decline.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Spending the next 5 years watching fucktarded companies try to mimic TW3 is gonna be interesting that's for sure.

EA/Biowank will undoubtably be the most amusing. Seeing Dragon Age: Inquisition & Mass Effect: Andromeda spectacularly fail at trying to capture Skyrim's high-selling open world, was just the start of this decline.

I mean I'd be interested to actually see them emulate CD Project Red's approach. Employ hundreds of highly talented professionals in Eastern Europe on Eastern Europe bargain wages. Make 60 dollar console game that is a product of insane amount of human time and effort to make hand crafted content vs Andromeda's procedural garbage, at wages that are half or lower what you pay in Canada US. Sell to the West.

Followup by employing more Eastern Europeans in satellite studios and making more AAA games with your ocean of half price PhD computer scientists.

You can see why Ubisoft outsources to China Hong Kong and all sorts of weird places for its games with this model.

Why do Chinks love gwent.

Gwent is the best hearthstone derivative on the market because the gameplay is good and the UI is AAA developer tier, and is extremely successful in the TCG space.

Hearthstone is one of the most successful games on the planet. Go figure.

Zer0wing

Cipher
They're different, but neither TW2 nor TW3 are inherently bad. Which means they're overall consistent and "X was better" rhetoric doesn't apply here.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Tw1 had the most "flavour" of all three games. It actually brought that interesting slavic folklore influence. Remember the wedding quest? No other witcher game managed to hit those same notes. Tw2 had the absolute worst gameplay of the series, but made up for it with plot and strong c&c. Tw3 is simply AAA done right.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Alina/Celina love triangle ghost thing. Yeah, there were noonwraiths on other games, but they just felt like another generic enemy. TW1 wraiths were right in da feelz.

The HoS wedding is ok, but it's clearly about giving the player a waifu experience. TW1 felt more impactful. For me at least. The ghost you meet in the Tower (while doing fetch quests for Keira Metz) tried to go for a similar feel, but ended up being a pretty generic romeo and juliet - teh vydia version.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Makes you wonder what's the bigger threat to gaming companies, piracy or Steam sales
Bloated budgets
Absolutely. Bloated budgets are cancer. We all know that "big budget=has to make a lot of money=can't take risks=is bland" gist, but what I find the most embarrassing is that most AAA games spend their budgets on celebrity VAs, obnoxious marketing and unnecessarily high graphics tech, and then get obliterated by some random indie game. If you wanna step outside the RPG circle, Destiny 2 and PUBG are a good example of this.

mbv123

Arbiter
I loved TW1, one of my favorite experiences ever.
Played TW2 and it was such a downgrade and casualized garbage. Dropped the series after that.

TedNugent

Arcane
I'm not sure if this is a good thing.

The best thing I am seeing is that PC comprises the lion's share of continued sales after the first year, that PC compromises over 30% of total sales the first year, and that Xbone has been a pretty dismal minority.

But I don't know that CD Projekt cracking a billion is good in terms of the game development landscape, nor does it look good to see how the introduction of muh open world has affected their revenue stream, nor does it look good seeing both later games trounce TW1 in sales.

Like it or leave it, but open worldistan is here to stay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom