Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst The Witness - first-person puzzler in the vein of Myst

This Jonathan Blow guy is such a fucking insufferable hipster, I can't imagine a decent game resulting of his efforts. Braid was unadulterated, overrated, self-serving wankery fucking crap. This is probably crap with a higher budget.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Didn't even know this was being release on PC after all the presentations this has been on Sony E3 conferences. 2 days before release it's not even in the top 50 at Steam, this might bombed hard on PC better hope it sells well on the PS4. Might get a strong push by gaming journals since this is the type of game they tend to fap because the game is "high art".

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Looks like the only major complaint so far is that the puzzles are too hard and the game is too long. From the lowest scored review (3 stars):

Games Radar said:
As brilliant as it is infuriating, The Witness' ingenious puzzles all too easily have their shine worn away by length and a constantly extending complexity.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So does this game only have the weird guide through maze like puzzles ?
Or is there actual variation like myst?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
More overly pretentious shit from Jonathan Blowhard? Great for those who like not-games.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
It's definitely not a not-game. I put two hours in this morning, and it's basically non-stop puzzle gameplay. No exposition yet and no pointless walking. Difficulty was mild in the first area, but starting to ramp up now. Really enjoying the pacing so far - I'm spending only probably a minute or two on each puzzle on average, but they all have some new trick or idea to them that adds on to the complexity of the whole system. Not every puzzle is a major roadblock so there's pretty steady progression.

My only gripe right now is that movement feels gummy because there's acceleration when you start to walk or run, but I think I'll get used to that.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
One annoyance I have with the game is the fact that there are invincible walls everywhere. You can't walk off the smallest ledge to get to another path, so instead you're forced to backtrack quite a lot.

Last edited:
As I thought, this is an unimaginative quasi-game, a self-congratulatory masturbatory exercise on endless variations of a single puzzle.

This is nothing like Myst. Nothing at all. Also, this isn't an adventure game by any stretch of the definition.

Talos Principle eats this fucking rubbish for breakfast - without any of the pretentiousness or the fucking joke media circlejerk.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I've heard good things regarding the puzzle design, despite the fact that it uses the panel system (there are apparently quite a few rulesets to spice up the variety) the game uses the panels in very weird and interesting ways and that they're only a single element of one whole puzzle.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
This Jonathan Blow guy is such a fucking insufferable hipster,...

Well, I once met him in person and in contrast to real hipster fags as Phil "Fez" Fish, J.Blow seems to be an intelligent, friendly guy without any sexual/mental disorders.

And he is as much a hipster as John Carmack.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
I love the dev response for lack of any graphical settings whatsoever(cant even change resolution)
"
Guys ... we are primarily PC developers. I use PCs all day every day, they are the primary machines I program on and play games on.

It's just a difference of opinion about priorities. Personally, when I play a game, I don't want to dink with settings for hours. I just want to play the game. If you even know what most graphics options even mean, then you are a power user, and we figured you can deal with a text file.

Since it's a commonly-requested thing, we are looking at adding more options to the launcher. But first we need to attack higher-priority problems that some people are having."

Yeah only power users change pc game settings.
:deathclaw:

orcinator

Liturgist
Went into this blind, with the only information being that it's apparently like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fd-_M8OW-0

After playing for a bit, that is exactly how the game is.

Feels like one of those sudoku books, except put inside some bland environments that feel like they were made for a 3d design portfolio.

Sometimes the game uses the environment as part of the maze puzzle alongside other gimmicks, but it's still limited to the maze format.

I uninstalled it shortly, fuck if I'm going to sit through this boring crap just to see if whatever pretentiousness was crammed into it will be on par with that Atom Bomb shit.

Wish Roger Ebert was still alive so he could say this isn't art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom