Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Sonic Titan

Educated
Quick question regarding dosbox keymapping: Can someone explain to me why I CANNOT figure out how to fix my "a" key? I am able to map the a button to "turn left", but when I am in dialogue with an NPC the a button acts as if I am hitting "backspace".

newtmonkey

Arcane
Wizardry V
Man, this game is like the richest cheesecake in the world, where you take a single bite and just push the plate away from you because it was so delicious and rich that one bite is just enough.

I'm playing this VERY safe and sure, which is probably not justified in any way, since the save system is much more forgiving than previous games in the series. I could probably push things a bit more without a problem, but Wizardry has made me paranoid, so here I am.

I'm currently exploring level 3 room by room and loving it. The dungeon levels don't necessarily feel any more realistic than anything in Wiz 1-3, but I appreciate that they aren't all just standard 20x20 squares. However, they aren't just stupid mazes like a lot of poor imitators, so just like the best of Wiz 1 and 3, you feel like you are exploring an actual place. Of course, part of why I feel this way is because you spend so much time going back and forth through the same areas due to the structure of the game where you are skipping over massive parts of the earlier maps, finding keys later on, and going back to explore those parts you skipped. Earlier Wiz games did this too, but not to the extent that Wiz 5 does. It really does breed familiarity with the dungeon.

I know I still have a long way to go to complete this one, but when I do, I will probably restart Wiz VI. That should be a nice change of pace from the classic Wiz style.

Sonic Titan

Educated
Since this thread got bumped, anyone able to shed some light on my dosbox keynapping question a couple posts above? Would definitely appreciate it!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm waiting for the remasters by Krome Studios of Wizardries 1-6. Maybe they'll be out by next year.

*Googles 'Krome Wizardry Remaster*

You fuckin' around with me or what? I don't see anything, that's a mean joke to play.

It was a joke... and it was cruel, and I'm sorry. It won't happen again. Those boys 'n' girls down under at Krome Studios are doing good works lately, and hard working to produce the best RPG remasters that can be produced, and not wasting resources collecting teenage male runaways, male sex toys and drawing nightmarish artwork of penis and anus monsters and frightening poor Cleve Blakemore.

Covenant

Savant
Since this thread got bumped, anyone able to shed some light on my dosbox keynapping question a couple posts above? Would definitely appreciate it!

What game are you having this issue with?

Wizardry 7

Sounds like the remapping function is a bit crude, and you're actually remapping 'a' to do everything the left arrow key would do. When exploring, the left arrow key turns (or side-steps? I forget) you left, which is what you remapped it for. But in conversation the left arrow key moves the cursor left (or just works as backspace), so that's what 'a' now does.

You could always hold off on the key-mapping till just after New City (wait till you've spoken to Captain Beaurigard and Brother T'Shober) - there's a bit less conversation after that point.

Sonic Titan

Educated

What game are you having this issue with?

Wizardry 7

Sounds like the remapping function is a bit crude, and you're actually remapping 'a' to do everything the left arrow key would do. When exploring, the left arrow key turns (or side-steps? I forget) you left, which is what you remapped it for. But in conversation the left arrow key moves the cursor left (or just works as backspace), so that's what 'a' now does.

You could always hold off on the key-mapping till just after New City (wait till you've spoken to Captain Beaurigard and Brother T'Shober) - there's a bit less conversation after that point.

Yep, that’s exactly what my “a” key does. While traversing the world it turns my party left, but in conversations with NPCs it behaves like the “backspace” key no matter what I try to do to remap it. It’s quite frustrating to be honest.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Wizardry 5 (PC)
Didn't feel like going out tonight, so I got myself a bottle of my favorite shochu (maoh/"devil king" if anyone wants to find a bottle and try it), made myself a pizza, and spent a couple hours on Wiz 5.

Right now I'm exploring each floor that I can access from the elevator. I finally finished exploring level 3 and level 4, though I've still got lots of blank space on my maps. Level 3 was sort of a pain to get through, since it's so large and getting to the meat of the dungeon required passing through a long corridor each time I went back and forth. Level 4 was suprisingly short, so I'm sure I've missed something here.

I've got a ton of items from diving in pools and such, several of which I haven't even identified (blew a ton of gold on raising dead characters, and my strategy of leaving a level 1 Bishop in the tavern to ID enemies doesn't work in this game since the ID skill is apparently level based).

Alkarl

Learned
So, there is this cute, early 20's girl I work with. She's the HR manager at our company. Both of us are married, (not to each other), so it's basically whatever, but she's a closet geek and sometimes comes to me and talks about whatever her latest video addiction is. It's just a harmless exchange (although she is a casual/decline, she loves Skyrim, but at the same time digs playing Divinity: OS with her husband, so idk)

Anyway, this week she was talking about her newest game, one of those Harvest Moon-esque farm sims, and I thought I'd bring up what I spent the weekend playing, Wizardry 6. I pulled up google image search to show her a pic of the game and just reflexively clicked on the first image I saw:

https://goo.gl/images/7kKLgR
(Image posting wasn't working for me)

Anyway, it's a pic of a combat with the bare-breasted, black Zulu women.

To our HR manager.

So glad we're on good terms, I just closed it really quick and grabbed another one but she just laughed it off with, "Whoa, that's almost sexual harrasment, lol".

I'll let ya'll know if I get shit-canned. :rage::deathclaw:

Alkarl

Learned
You should have looked for a SFW picture on CRPG Addict's blog instead. Right, TigerKnee?

Oh, fml, all his prudishness towards the game was running through my head directly AFTER I clicked on the pic. I even remember reading his postings like "chill out dude, it's just some tits."

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Times have changed. No one, whether male or female, would have batted an eyelid at those harmless pixelated tits back in the day.
OTOH, everyone would have been offended by those reality-TV sluts and degenerates.

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Times have changed. No one, whether male or female, would have batted an eyelid at those harmless pixelated tits back in the day.
OTOH, everyone would have been offended by those reality-TV sluts and degenerates.

Could you imagine the PC police attempting to witch hunt D.W. Bradley over this today? I mean, we've seen it happen with other entertainment media. felipepepe 's interview with him gives me the impression he wouldn't be lucid enough to comprehend what was going on. :lol:
Not like any of them would ever actually play Wizardry, that would be so beyond incline for them they'd probably go blind from the shock of it.

Anyway, things seem pretty cool, I think I'll be alright. It's not every day you get away with showing someone elses (pixelated) tits to a female coworker whilst at work these days. :incline:

Last edited:

Eggs is eggs

Learned
For creating new characters in the early Wizardrys, is it necessary to keep rolling until you get a high number of bonus points? I've started Wiz 1 on an Apple II emulator and just stopped whenever I got 10 bonus points or more for a character. Their stats are mediocre but the Apple II version doesn't have the stat dropping bug when you level up.

No Great Name

Arcane
I found this website not long ago when I was trying to write my review for Wiz I. Here's the relevant bit for bonus stats:

*The available points to distribute between your Statistics/Attributes when creating your character goes as follows:
- It is (7 + (RANDOM 0 to 3)) with a 10% chance to add another 10 points as long as you total points are below 20, therefore the maximum points is 29.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Playing Wizardry 8 right now. Could you clarify this - scores in the skills associated with the four magic schools (Wizardry, Divinity, Alchemy, Psionics) determine ONLY spells of what level your character will be able to learn, not how well they can apply each of those spells? How likely is for a character to successfully cast a spell at a certain power level is governed by the six magic realm skills (Fire Magic, Water Magic, Air Magic, Earth Magic, Mental Magic, Divine Magic), correct? So it is possible, for instance, to have a Bishop with 15 points in Psionics and 100 points in Water Magic who is able to cast Slow masterfully at power level 7?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing Wizardry 8 right now. Could you clarify this - scores in the skills associated with the four magic schools (Wizardry, Divinity, Alchemy, Psionics) determine ONLY spells of what level your character will be able to learn, not how well they can apply each of those spells? How likely is for a character to successfully cast a spell at a certain power level is governed by the six magic realm skills (Fire Magic, Water Magic, Air Magic, Earth Magic, Mental Magic, Divine Magic), correct? So it is possible, for instance, to have a Bishop with 15 points in Psionics and 100 points in Water Magic who is able to cast Slow masterfully at power level 7?
I think this is right; at least, this is how I've always been treating those skills. You probably already know this, but the realm skills advance at a steady rate though use, so you should always prioritise schools when levelling up. Trying to cast at orange or red power level also advances realm skills more quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom