Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Lukifell

Educated
Got an emergency situation. Trying to ironman Wiz8 on expert and it’s been going well so far. Except Crock took my Bishop who is the only one with any buff spells. (Divinity/Wizardry). This wouldn’t be so bad except it’s the only character who can cast Magic Screen. Tried making it to the frog and nearly wiped on a random pack of Rynjins, only survived because Rogue had Canned Elemental + Pandemonium Powder for this kind of situation. Now I’m basically stuck in Martens Bluff, afraid to go anywhere — even in the Bluff I nearly wiped on a group of Lv. 13 ghost caster things.

Where can scrolls of Magic Screen be purchased? Sadok/Arnika doesn’t seem to have them. Please don’t say Crock, lol, as he won’t sell me anything until I kill the frog.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Starting Wizardry 6 with the intention of doing a full trilogy playthrough and I have a question about lockpicking - is it RNG based or it is based on the squares being all green? The speed at which the squares change color seems impossible to react to.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Apparantly you can slow down DOSBox enough that you use your player skill.
Personally I just use the character skill; after all it's an RPG. And if the door gets stuck you can usually return when finding the right key (some are random drops from monsters) or spell.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Got an emergency situation. Trying to ironman Wiz8 on expert and it’s been going well so far. Except Crock took my Bishop who is the only one with any buff spells. (Divinity/Wizardry). This wouldn’t be so bad except it’s the only character who can cast Magic Screen. Tried making it to the frog and nearly wiped on a random pack of Rynjins, only survived because Rogue had Canned Elemental + Pandemonium Powder for this kind of situation. Now I’m basically stuck in Martens Bluff, afraid to go anywhere — even in the Bluff I nearly wiped on a group of Lv. 13 ghost caster things.

Where can scrolls of Magic Screen be purchased? Sadok/Arnika doesn’t seem to have them. Please don’t say Crock, lol, as he won’t sell me anything until I kill the frog.

I believe the kidnapped companion is random, you could try reloading before you took the statue.
You can also try to avoid monsters and go straight for the giant frog, usually, an elemental is enough (specially if it's an earth one) to distract the frog while you destroy it, if you don't have any other char with magic screen, i'm guessing either they all hit very hard and you'll be alright or you fucked up party creation.

As for the initial question, the T'Rang alchemist might have some nice potions or scrolls.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever beaten Wizardry 6, 7, or 8 without using any walkthrough/guide and if so, how long did it take? Also same question about ironmaning 6 and 7... which I feel is not actually possible.

gman42

Scholar
The lockpicking is in fact tied to whether the squares are flashing green when you click, but it's actually meant to go so fast as to make it essentially RNG, with the idea that the higher your skill the "greener" the squares are. With every failed attempt to pick, there's both a chance for your skill to rise and for the lock to jam, so by doing a ton of saving you can train it kind of painfully on those early locks. There's a ton of locks early on in the castle, then a long break, and then just a small handful again around late midgame, and one optional one at the very end.

I did 6 and 7 without guides back in the day and it was annoying but I was able to get it done. I was a veteran of Infocom games so I was used to pain in the ass puzzles, none of them really seemed *that* bad. Only got the boring standard ending in 6 doing it on my own though.

Doing an IM of 6 and 7 I think would involve just an insane amount of boring leveling on the easiest monsters you can find, to assure yourself some immunity from magic/criticals from the tough ones later. It wouldn't be fun.

Themadcow

Augur
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever beaten Wizardry 6, 7, or 8 without using any walkthrough/guide and if so, how long did it take? Also same question about ironmaning 6 and 7... which I feel is not actually possible.

Yeah, did 6 on release without any guide. However, graph paper maps were my friend. There's probably only a couple of genuinely tricky areas in terms of progression.

I'm sure 7 is doable as well, although I certainly found myself a lot more frustrated. Wiz 6 is pretty much on-rails, but 7 can leave you wondering around in circles for a while and certainly more prone to getting randomly killed if you're not very familiar.

Covenant

Savant

Ironmanning 7 at least is definitely possible up to the last dungeon. I posted about my attempt here. I had a lot of difficulty on the last floor but other people here have said they didn't find it so bad, so perhaps I was just underlevelled. I'd be incredibly impressed if someone Ironmanned 6 without a ridiculous amount of grinding; the last dungeon in particular is hellish IMO.

In terms of using a guide, 6 and 7 both have BS puzzles that aren't hinted at literally anywhere - Rebecca's ring for 6 (thankfully that's just a bonus item rather than a necessary puzzle) and using the Legend map in 7. You can probably finish both of them without spoilers with a bit of perserverence, though.

Lukifell

Educated
Ironmanning Wiz7 on expert is definitely doable, but you should know the following:

1) Pretty much any form of instant death, with the exception of on-hit KIA (such as Godzylla, Munk Ninja) uses Lifeforce resistance. This includes Stone on-hit effect, and Stone / “withers and dies” from Dazzling Lights. So every character in your party needs 100+. (120 ensures virtual immunity against monsters 1-2 levels higher.)

Lord, Valkyrie, Monk, Psionic, Priest, Bishop and Samurai all get high LF resistance base + per level. Ninja has almost none so its actually a bad class for ironman (rush the Stone of New Life fixed drop for +50 resist.)

Humans and Faeries also get a bonus to LF resist (Faerie gets tons of resists making it then best Mage, Ninja or Monk)

2) Fire resist is the second most important resist cuz fireball spam is so common and the robots later. The easiest way to obtain large quantites of fire resist are the enchanted chain/plate armor youll come across.

That makes the Human Valkyrie the most resilient character in Wiz7 (I think)

Also the misc item “Cross of Protection” you can buy early on in the abbey in New City gives 10 paralysis and 20 lifeforce resist easily making it one of the better miscs

You also need Golden Medallion from Rodan which gives huge fire resist.

Good party would be something like:

3 Human Valkyries, max dex/speed

Human Priest (switching to Valkyrie later for fire resist gear)

Faerie Ninja (using Stone as misc item, not Blackbelt)

Faerie Mage (max PIE/VIT/SPD) change to Monk much later for AC and way better resists, use Golden Medallion)

(Dont bother fighting Beast of 1000 eyes as its level advantage is giving you -200 resist or something meaning you need to be level 50+ to have a chance)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
(Dont bother fighting Beast of 1000 eyes as its level advantage is giving you -200 resist or something meaning you need to be level 50+ to have a chance)

I beat it at levels 28-36. Lots of reloading, though, especially before I realized I could use Ressurrection in combat.
For Iron Man it's probably best to just skip it. After all, it's optional.

gman42

Scholar
Not to mention that half the benefit to defeating him would be for the goodies in his chest, and if you're IMing, you're risking getting something super underwhelming on the first try and being stuck with it.

Lukifell

Educated
Any way the Beast(s) could be cheesed using stealth/godzylli? Even if that worked though it’d take the better part of a day...

deadmeme

Learned
I am playing Wiz VI at the moment and really enjoying it. I am using this walkthrough http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/walk...w0dC-9QrMnwCt1xrMQk3xpp70MMD2MQ57SjtFF4JBNh1s in order not to miss something. I picked up Key of the Ram and cleaned the basement area (the part that was cleanable) after that I went to Castle Upstairs area and I could not open that the doors that were supposed to be opened by the Key of the Ram. Is this a known bug or I am missing something?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am playing Wiz VI at the moment and really enjoying it. I am using this walkthrough http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/walk...w0dC-9QrMnwCt1xrMQk3xpp70MMD2MQ57SjtFF4JBNh1s in order not to miss something. I picked up Key of the Ram and cleaned the basement area (the part that was cleanable) after that I went to Castle Upstairs area and I could not open that the doors that were supposed to be opened by the Key of the Ram. Is this a known bug or I am missing something?
I remember the Key of Ramm is supposed to unlock the grate leading to the altar. If that's not working for you, it sounds like you're out of luck, sorry.

Lukifell

Educated
Well, I ironmanned Wiz8 on expert, and it's not something I'd ever wanna try again. I love the Wizardry series but 8's game design is so infuriating at times, haha. Gonna try Elminage.

deadmeme

Learned
Does that lvl 7 spell bug happen every time? Can it be fixed with save game reloading? I am asking because I play it on ClassicReload and backing up saves is unavailable for me. I will get really pissed if I will have to start again on my PC.

deadmeme

Learned
Didn't want to risk so I got GOG version and started to play it again. The game is good, but the character creation is painful. Time to get Valks, Ninja, Samurai at level 1 lol:shredder:

gman42

Scholar
IIRC, the spell bug is basically that if any monster resists the spell then they all do, meaning it happens quite a bit. I think the GOG version has patches available both for that bug and for easy creation rolls.

deadmeme

Learned
I wasn't aware that GOG version comes with those patches. Anyway, I downloaded the patch from the internet. :positive:
Level seven already. :yeah:

CallMeSnek

Novice
What does cursed equipment actually do to you in Wizardry? Normally I just ignore it wholesale, but I've just found some cursed armor with some actually nice stats, and I'm wondering if I could just roll with it.

This is Wizardry Empire II, specifically.

BlackClothescursed.png

Curiously, I could equip this on a Good character, even though it says Evil only.

Last edited:

megidolaon

Kyoto Cybernetics
Developer
Curiously, I could equip this on a Good character, even though it says Evil only.

Don't certain Wizardry games do this -- if you equip some alignment-restricted item, it allows it, but it gets Cursed onto the character? (It also seems likely that AC, etc. would be effectively negated during battle calculations.)

deadmeme

Learned
My Valks armor class rose for 2 points on its own. Why is that? In Bane of Comsic Forge.

Covenant

Savant
My Valks armor class rose for 2 points on its own. Why is that? In Bane of Comsic Forge.

You're probably over-encumbered (check the colour of the '62/120lbs' type thing in your inventory screen).

Note that it's nearly impossible to NOT be at least somewhat over-encumbered going through Bane - you have to carry around a lot of shit, armour is heavy, and there's a bug so that your carrying capacity is set based on your strength at the start of the game and it never rises.

deadmeme

Learned
It is yellow, 119/144. That is it. Thank you :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom