Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Memorable floors, and very smart shortcuts to avoid backtracking tedium. Very satisfying to unlock the elevator to skip floors already explored. Exploration rewarded as it should be. It's a real masterpiece.

I would like to know if Miyazaki took inspiration in Wiz 1 directly for shortcuts in Souls series.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like Wizardry 6 a lot. The Superfamicom version plays very well and looks fantastic. There is a translation patch into English.

The only think I disliked is the caves. Most annoying dungeon ever.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I like Wizardry 6 a lot. The Superfamicom version plays very well and looks fantastic. There is a translation patch into English.

The only think I disliked is the caves. Most annoying dungeon ever.

If you play the SNES version, you can't import characters and items into Wiz7, and some items you can import you can only get in W6, not in W7

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You can use the Wiz 7 editor to "import" Wiz6 characters.

At Least I would try the SNES version with emulator SNES9X and decide if you like it more than GOG version.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

In that case you don't need to play W6 to get the stuff, but for me that would count as cheating and taking away from playing the games the proper way

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

In that case you don't need to play W6 to get the stuff, but for me that would count as cheating and taking away from playing the games the proper way
You play Wiz 6 because is s great game, not to "get stuff".

I don't care if it's cheating or not. I like more the SNES version and was informing Lacrymas about it if he is interested. I had a lot of fun playing it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
A question for the Wizardry veterans - is it worth playing through Wizardry 6 before playing 7?

The only reason I would play Wiz 6 is to import the items. This is the "proper" way to play it because that's how the game is designed. They didn't put the import mode into the game by accident.

In any case the itemization in Wiz 7 sucks balls so I wouldn't feel bad about it. All you can really get is a good warrior weapon, a lance for a valkyrie, an awesome samurai katana, and a great ranger bow. If you don't care about those specific items, skip it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Wiz 6 is a great game, equal to W7. Doesn't change much whether you play the SNES or the DOS version, although I prefer the DOS version for both the importing and the graphics, EGA is just better at evoking a decreptic castle than the enhanced visuals of the SNES version, but its mostly a matter of taste, the differences between both versions are minuscule (W6 SNES has automap, although for the DOS version there are external solutions for that).

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wiz 6 is a great game, equal to W7. Doesn't change much whether you play the SNES or the DOS version, although I prefer the DOS version for both the importing and the graphics, EGA is just better at evoking a decreptic castle than the enhanced visuals of the SNES version, but its mostly a matter of taste, the differences between both versions are minuscule (W6 SNES has automap, although for the DOS version there are external solutions for that).
There's also the fact that there's no parser when talking to NPCs.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
In any case the itemization in Wiz 7 sucks balls so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

I have no idea how anyone can claim something like that.

All you can really get is a good warrior weapon, a lance for a valkyrie, an awesome samurai katana, and a great ranger bow. If you don't care about those specific items, skip it.

You forgot a certain ring. And the fact that depending on the different endings in W6, you start out in different areas in W7.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I believe the DOS EGA version has problems with sound effects distortion using the regular Dosbox builds and default audio config settings. IIRC I had to use a special build of DOS-BOX along with a specific setting in the dosbox config. GOG may have patched this issue though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
A question for the Wizardry veterans - is it worth playing through Wizardry 6 before playing 7?

Wizardry 6 is better than Wizardry 7 in every conceivable way. Wizardry 7 is probably the most overrated games on the Codex.

I wouldn't go quite that far.
Wiz 7 does have the novelty of competing factions, and much nicer graphics. And PST is far more overrated.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
octavius

Eh, you can find posts criticizing PST everywhere (and even its fans tend to acknowledge its fans, such as poor combat). You will be hard pressed to find any negative criticism of Wizardry 7.

Wizardry 7 is full of mechanics that sound cool on paper (competing parties, cartography) but in practice leave a lot to be desired. It is very pleasant to the eye, I’ll give you that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Considering that W6 had no mapping, its inclusion in W7 was already a plus. And no other RPG aside from W7 and Grimoire has competing parties, which does make it a unique feature that adds quite a bit to the richness of that world. Several very well done factions and a complete world are two other obvious improvements over W6.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I attempted to play Wiz 7 years ago but was immediately turned off by some SF chick on a hover mobile in the first few seconds of the game. But then I played M&M VI a few years later and that kind of silly fantasy/sci-fi mix shit didn't bother me. I should try Wiz bang 7 again someday but I probably won't.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I have no idea how anyone can claim something like that.

How could you not? You pretty much use starting junk all the way until the tomb, where you have to kill the superbosses just to have a chance of getting anything half as good as what you find in Wiz 6.

W7 has all the weapons and armor that W6 has, plus new ones such as the scifi stuff. Here, compare for yourself:

https://www.tk421.net/wizardry/wiz6items.shtml
https://www.tk421.net/wizardry/wiz7items.shtml

And then tell us which items W6 supposedly has that W7 doesn't.

Reality

Learned
I feel like setting the text delay in 0 in Wiz 7 doesn't reach the speed that it does in 6 (and 1-5). Always annoyed me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom