Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Binary

Liturgist
OK I found my save... I finished the game with chars ranging from levels 11 to 13, but they all went through class changes - some more than once.

Dwarf Lord
Faerie Ninja
Gnome Valkyrie
Elf Priest
Elf Samurai
Human Alchemist

Jasede said:
Honestly, I think 6 is more fun than 7.
6 is my favorite, mostly since it was the one I always played as a kid with the floppy discs. Grim Reaper scared the shit out of me. And since I've lost my Wizardry Archives CD, I'm going to have to find some way to find Wizardry 6 after reading some of this thread.

---
Jasede, does it make me a furry because my favorite race in Wizardry 6 is the Dracon? I once even had a party with 4 of them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If anyone has the Wizardry Archives CD - I used to - please upload it's version of Wizardry 6. Apparently 6 is impossible to crack and has a fun copy protection where, when you try to crack it, it makes all encounters rats and the chance to hit them impossibly low.

Ammar

Scholar
Jasede said:
If anyone has the Wizardry Archives CD - I used to - please upload it's version of Wizardry 6. Apparently 6 is impossible to crack and has a fun copy protection where, when you try to crack it, it makes all encounters rats and the chance to hit them impossibly low.

I've a working cracked version. IIRC you just have to enter SOMETHING when it asks you for the magic work. If you leave it blank you get problems.

I am using the C:DOS Abandonware version.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pretty sure that must be the Archives version then. See, normally, Wizardry 6 detects if the .exe has been changed and enters "you cracked it mode"; the only existing crack is the one from the Archives version. Thanks, I'll check C:DOS.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Ammar said:
I've a working cracked version. IIRC you just have to enter SOMETHING when it asks you for the magic work. If you leave it blank you get problems.

I am using the C:DOS Abandonware version.

That's strange. I use the C:DOS version and I still got to enter the right word everytime.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Indeed! To reduce that tedium I first must acquire the Wizardry Archives CD again. Well, time to check Ebay. Good thing I won't start the LP for a while anyway. I'd also like to buy a smaller monitor to play my older games on, 320x200 scaled on 1280x1024 isn't exactly beautiful, and the window just seems way too small.

SkeleTony

Augur
I have the Wizardry Archives CD right here in front of me but I am not really up on how to rip the games from CDs correctly or where I might upload them.

Ammar

Scholar
I'll see if I can drag up my copy.

Note that I used the hack to make rolls higher than normal (has been mentioned above), though. So perhaps create your characters first and copy them over. I've also modified the playbane.bat to backupa limited number of savegames in subfolders on startup.

Ammar

Scholar
Well, I am interested to see whether you will run into the spell bug. I've completed the UWA version three times and had it twice. Seems to affect people rather inconsistently with no particular preference for a particular version. It's rather annoying but doesn't prevent one from completing the game - what happens is that the "Effect All" Spells like Nuclear Blast suddely stop working.

Raapys

Arcane
Wizardry newbie here. Decided to give Wizardry 6 a go, rolled about the same character classes Jasede has lined up, all with 20+ bonus points. Started the game, equipped my chars with their stuff, took about 5 steps or something before I had an encounter with 2 rogue leaders. My two main tanks were each one-shotted in about two rounds, needless to say the rest quickly followed. Rather tough game, isn't it?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Ammar said:
Well, I am interested to see whether you will run into the spell bug. I've completed the UWA version three times and had it twice. Seems to affect people rather inconsistently with no particular preference for a particular version. It's rather annoying but doesn't prevent one from completing the game - what happens is that the "Effect All" Spells like Nuclear Blast suddely stop working.

So it is actually a bug. I was wondering why on some encounters those spells would either work every time or never.

Jasede said:
I downloaded a version of Wizardry 6 that works on DOSbox, and currently instead of rats I have different types of rogues, yet still can't hit them or be hit by them. Although my spells and breathing can kill them. Is that also part of the damn copy protection, before I at least had the passwords.

And where'd you get the archives version Jasede?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Someome uploaded it for me on Rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/134369925/BANE.rar.html

Thanks, ammar.

Raapys, two things:

It is easier to start out with only base classes. For example, three fighters, one thief a priest and a wizard. Even easier if, at creation, you give these fighters maximum skill in swords.

Second thing, put the difficulty on easy.

And not really a thing, but really helpful: even if, after hours of rolling, you get 21 on a character... you might still end up rolling him with 3 HP. You might not want to accept any character with less than 6 HP if you can bear the tedium. I recommend to use the Cosmic Forge editor to hack the attribute roll algorithm which does nothing but increase the chance of high ability rolls dramatically, saving tremendous amounts of time. It's hardly cheatng; it just saves incredible amounts of time. Just google "Cosmic Forge Editor" and you should find it.

Is anyone going to do a "Let's Play Wizardry 6-8" type thing? That might be one I'd actually look at. It'd be long and hard, but it's not as though people don't play through all 3 anyway.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I said I would in September and on expert, but I will need at least until then to sort real life out as well as get used to expert mode. So far the party is getting one-shotted by most things easily; I will reroll all of you to have at least 23 ability points and 8 HP. If someone else wants to do an LP, go ahead.

Jasede said:
I will reroll all of you to have at least 23 ability points and 8 HP. If someone else wants to do an LP, go ahead.
I never bothered to do that, most of my time was spent rolling to get the classes I wanted. But so far I've survived to level 4 or 5. With fighter, fighter, monk, ninja, priest, mage. The last two of which had 6 and 4 hp respectively.

Binary

Liturgist
Raapys said:
Wizardry newbie here. Decided to give Wizardry 6 a go, rolled about the same character classes Jasede has lined up, all with 20+ bonus points. Started the game, equipped my chars with their stuff, took about 5 steps or something before I had an encounter with 2 rogue leaders. My two main tanks were each one-shotted in about two rounds, needless to say the rest quickly followed. Rather tough game, isn't it?

Well the game is tough but shouldn't be that tough! :)

Raapys

Arcane
Ah, thanks Jas, didn't even consider that the hit points might be random too, so never looked it over.

I'll try out the cosmic forge thingy. Any general hints for attribute distribution in general? I just made sure everyone had some strength and vitality, and of course maxedmain attribute, then just distributed the rest on speed/dex.

giantgnome

Scholar
Raapys said:
I'll try out the cosmic forge thingy. Any general hints for attribute distribution in general? I just made sure everyone had some strength and vitality, and of course maxedmain attribute, then just distributed the rest on speed/dex.

Max out strength with as many people as possible if you don't want an encumbrance penalty later on for lugging loot around. Carrying capacity is set by your starting strength. I think this is a bug since it does adjust in 7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom