Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wolf Among Us - Fables Telltale adventure game

Stompa

Arcane
- [obvious conjecture about the book and whatever object in the room]
- HOLY SHIT BIGBY UR SUCH A DETECTIVE

Man, even Toad scene in the previous episode wasn't this :retarded:.

Stompa

Arcane
It didn't involve much thought (click through objects and catch Toad when he says something different from the last time) and didn't even matter, since Snow notices blood anyway.

Eyeball

Arcane
Ah, so the NeXT episode is out? Excellent!

Off to YouTube to play the game at no cost whatsoever!

Eyeball

Arcane
Other video games have gameplay requiring input. This one you can lean back and Watch instead of playing without losing much from the experience.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
And then you come to the uncomfortable realization that watching The Wolf Among Us turns out to be more fun than most Kickstarter games released so far. Don't worry Eyeball, I won't tell. :troll:

Eyeball

Arcane
Yeah, it's fairly enjoyable and has a great art style. So far, my viewing of Episode 2 really seems as if they're stalling for time, though, scenes being too drawn out without really advancing the plot much.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Over 3 months waiting for not even 1½ hour of playtime.

At least is was pretty much on par with the first episode.

No sympathy for you. You buy shit from Telltale you get what you deserve.

Eyeball

Arcane
Played, I mean, watched the 2nd episode. Meh. Whole lot of drawn-out scenes not really going anywhere, a Whole lot of logical inconsistensies and an obvious PLOT TWIST INCOMING cliffhanger ending. Still looks really cool and the voice acting is pretty great.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
campaign_divinityos.png

There's nothing inherently wrong with interactive movies. All that matters is the execution and effort that goes into realizing an idea, which Telltale has so far done by a good margin better than several Kickstarter games Codexers (including myself) have given money to. To criticize a product objectively requires a balanced estimate of its aims, goals, and shortcomings; what it is and what it tries to accomplish, not merely what the critic 'wants' it to be and the creator/author had never intended in the first place.

aris

Arcane
The walking dead and wolf among us are interactive stories, which is a fine genre in and by itself. Most criticism on the codex has been "lol it's an interactive story", which is like criticizing fallout by saying "lol it's an RPG, RPGs suck"
Or like criticizing PS:T by saying "lol it's an interactive story"
:troll:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The walking dead and wolf among us are interactive stories, which is a fine genre in and by itself. Most criticism on the codex has been "lol it's an interactive story", which is like criticizing fallout by saying "lol it's an RPG, RPGs suck"
The interaction elements are sparse and lacking. Especially in The Wolf Among Us.

aris

Arcane
The interaction elements are sparse and lacking. Especially in The Wolf Among Us.
How so? Your choices affects the game more than most games ever released. They are not nearly as sweeping as that one choice in the witcher 2, but it does provide (at the least the illusion) of the game reacting and acknowledging your choices and how you handle situations. This simply can't be recreated with a book/movie/series as some people claim. Sure, you can't interact with the environment a lot, and there is little exploration, but there are several dialogue options.

I will say that with the walking dead 2 and the wolf among us, it has been more about just moving from scene to scene, with all dialogue happening in the cutscenes. In the first walking dead you had at many occasions chances to walk around and talk to people at your own leisure, which was a huge part of the meat of the game. This I do not like.

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does the story turn out any different based on your choices? Ultimately no. It's just a Kinoautomat for the 21st century.

Cadmus

Arcane
I've just finished the first episode.
It was way too short, pretty simplistic and had some stupid moments but it's been fun and since I know fuck all about the comic or the setting, I'm very interested in the story. The characters are surprisingly relatable and not at all annoying. I'd wanted to play a PC Heavy Rain for a long time and this is the first game of this type I've found and it's satisfying. The examination of areas looks pretty dumb sometimes and Bigsby is captain obvious, but whatever, never in my life have I seen a game that didn't sometimes feel retarded/for retards, so who cares. The art style and art direction are perfect and I don't mind the QTEs after pixel hunting in Broken Sword just a month ago.

What I'm trying to say, it feels like a breath of fresh air, especially as I'm coming in blind and have not been much touched by the recent adventure/interactive movie games.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I've just finished the first episode.
It was way too short, pretty simplistic and had some stupid moments but it's been fun and since I know fuck all about the comic or the setting, I'm very interested in the story. The characters are surprisingly relatable and not at all annoying. I'd wanted to play a PC Heavy Rain for a long time and this is the first game of this type I've found and it's satisfying. The examination of areas looks pretty dumb sometimes and Bigsby is captain obvious, but whatever, never in my life have I seen a game that didn't sometimes feel retarded/for retards, so who cares. The art style and art direction are perfect and I don't mind the QTEs after pixel hunting in Broken Sword just a month ago.

What I'm trying to say, it feels like a breath of fresh air, especially as I'm coming in blind and have not been much touched by the recent adventure/interactive movie games.

I believe 2nd episode is even shorter. At least it felt like that. But there are tits in it, so it's justified.

Cadmus

Arcane
I forgot to mention how I fucking hate the pop ups telling you that you've made a choice. And they could have let me set up the controls. :-x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom