Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wonderful 101

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Wii U has sold 12 units and W101 has only sold 5. Some of you are missing out on a fun action game.

But yeah, I couldn't find a thread for this game and I thought it deserved one. If you know Platinum, you kinda know what to expect. It's challenging action with seizure-inducing amounts of things going on at the same time. When you learn the systems, though, you can bring some order to the chaos, and there's some really deep mechanics to dig into.

What's a bit different in this game is that you control a crowd, and the number of people currently in your crowd affects a few things, like how powerful your attacks can be, and how long reach you have. There are also minor crowd control aspects which gives it a kind of "macro" layer, where you can branch off groups of people to do attacks independently of you, and some other things like that.

I also like that the game uses an isometric(ish) perspective with colorful graphics, and is littered with secrets. Reminds me of older, more "gamey" games like Snake Rattle & Roll.

Anyway, if you're interested, watch these "System Breakdown" videos which do a great job at explaining the game mechanics (way better than any review, or the game itself):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE [part 1]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAbLRnGiWg [part 2]

Last edited:

Cool name

Arcane
Sooner or later I will get a Wii U and this game just because the Hero March is so bloody awesome.

Every time I listen to it I get this really hard to stop urge to go back to Champions Online, roll a really weird and cheesy character, and beat the shit out of supervillains. And I am not into that stuff to begin with, the song is just that awesome.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Sooner or later (probably rather later) I'm gonna end up either buying a Wii U or a PS4, depending which platform will offer more JRPGs, SRPGs, Dungeon crawlers and all the good stuff that western developers no longer want to make.

Caim

Arcane
Here's hoping they'll be a character in the upcoming Smash Brothers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom