Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The writing in this game is average

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh. I don't meet here yet. Where I can find her? (Thanks for help, guys)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
D:OS writing is shit even for Larian and SRR/Dragonfall is basically a more wordy variant of the Biowarian school of writing. Compared to its peers, I wouldn't say PoE writing is "average."

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
D:OS writing is shit even for Larian

Which other games by Larian are written better than D:OS? Because I can't really think of any.

Divine Divinity and Flames of Vengeance had some interesting quests here and there.What i liked about those two, it was the balance between humor and seriousness ,they didnt went full retard like in Original Sin.

Nael

Arcane

Which other games by Larian are written better than D:OS? Because I can't really think of any.

Divine Divinity and Flames of Vengeance had some interesting quests here and there.What i liked about those two, it was the balance between humor and seriousness ,they didnt went full retard like in Original Sin.

I was going to say... DD had OK writing. Nothing really astounding but it wasn't the lulzy, over-the-top, petulant bullshit in D:OS. D:OS was like they were trying to make it "So Bad It's Good" like "Sharknado: The RPG" but failed miserably because some of it actually was written like they wanted you to take it seriously so it was just a schizophrenic mess. But game still good cuz turn basedhurrrrr.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Dragon Commander definitely is. The writing, in fact, is the only reason anyone would play it (complete opposite of D:OS).

Adding to my to-play list then.

Sadly i had to pirate that game and what's even worse,i immediately regretted that decision.Dragon Commander is one of the worst games i ever played ,the game tried to be rpg/tb/rts and failed at all of them.
The story is based on politics and the whole action is happening on a ship.You have a lot a choices along the game ,but they don't matter at all ,the only thing you will get from them are small bonuses to your army and economy.

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
anyway, skyrim has better writing than PoE

nicolas-bigode_zps4567413b.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
anyway, skyrim has better writing than PoE
Obsidian writing is at the pulpy cheap fantasy novel from wannabe fantasy writer level but it, certainly, is better than monkeys with typewritters throwing shit at each other and smelling their own farts that Bethesda is.

Angthoron

Arcane
So after my complaint of lack of depth I run into a dilemma of whether to erase a painful memory from someone's mind and fix their soul and let them be happy again, or to tell them to keep the memories so that they remain richer for the experience (while also condemning them to live with a constant near-physical pain and sorrow and regret). Out of the blue, that one.

Spoiler, open only if you know what that above bit was about:

So if you people got to that bit, what'd you choose? And was there any effect afterwards? Or is that it, plot closed?

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't know, really. This is pretty much the best writing there is if you compare to other RPGs. Not THE best but definitely top tier on a scale to 10 if we distribute PC RPGs evenly.

I can understand the complaints about some of the writing, and the expectations on Obsidian to be better than this, but IMO it's very hard to come up with a lot of games with better writing than PoE.

It's also always a bit hard to discern who is a fucktard and who is not when discussing writing. When people complain about combat and say that they got one-shotted by bears for four hours or have missed integral parts of the combat system, you can pretty much dismiss them immediately. When discussing writing you need to ask what other games have good writing, and after that, the specific complaints about writing. Only then will most of the haters implicate themselves as imbeciles and you can continue trusting your own judgement and indulging a smug sense of superiority.

Angthoron

Arcane
I don't know, really. This is pretty much the best writing there is if you compare to other RPGs. Not THE best but definitely top tier on a scale to 10 if we distribute PC RPGs evenly.
Have you completed Act 2? Was Act 2 ending good writing?

I can understand the complaints about some of the writing, and the expectations on Obsidian to be better than this, but IMO it's very hard to come up with a lot of games with better writing than PoE.
Well, that's just your opinion, and even if it turns out to be a fact, that doesn't mean that things shouldn't be criticized in order to be improved in future installment. Fellating fanboys are the number 1 cause of game companies going full retard.

It's also always a bit hard to discern who is a fucktard and who is not when discussing writing. When people complain about combat and say that they got one-shotted by bears for four hours or have missed integral parts of the combat system, you can pretty much dismiss them immediately. When discussing writing you need to ask what other games have good writing, and after that, the specific complaints about writing.
No. Thesis statement is argument - evidence - conclusion, not the other way around. You start with criticism, provide arguments and necessary external data to support your point as necessary, then arrive at conclusion of whether it's unsalvageable shit, average shit or good shit.

Only then will most of the haters implicate themselves as imbeciles and you can continue trusting your own judgement and indulging a smug sense of superiority.
An interesting statement.

Rake

Arcane

It's also always a bit hard to discern who is a fucktard and who is not when discussing writing. When people complain about combat and say that they got one-shotted by bears for four hours or have missed integral parts of the combat system, you can pretty much dismiss them immediately. When discussing writing you need to ask what other games have good writing, and after that, the specific complaints about writing. Only then will most of the haters implicate themselves as imbeciles and you can continue trusting your own judgement and indulging a smug sense of superiority.
Fuck other PC RPGs. Compaire PoE with the other Obsidian games. How does it compaire with KotOR2, MotB, AP, F:NV? Or with PS:T, BG2?
And keep in mind that from these FNV, AP, and BG2 had mediocre writing. I would excpect the masterpiece of Obsidian, the game that they wanted to make, were free from publisers and was their baby to be above these three.

Angthoron

Arcane

Fuck other PC RPGs. Compaire PoE with the other Obsidian games. How does it compaire with KotOR2, MotB, AP, F:NV? Or with PS:T, BG2?
And keep in mind that from these FNV, AP, and BG2 had mediocre writing. I would excpect the masterpiece of Obsidian, the game that they wanted to make, were free from publisers and was their baby to be above these three.
BG2 doesn't have a lot to do with Obsidian, though, PoE is inspired by BG1/BG2, but BG2 is Bio.

But yeah, the other points stand. This is Obsidian's independent work, a love letter to the genre and the fans.

And hell, when you evaluate a work, any work, you have to evaluate it against itself as well - does it stand on its own? What are its merits and flaws? What is its context?

After that, you can move on to questions like, who made it? What else did they make? Do the previous works reflect in this one?

And then you can move to cross-genre analysis, or cross-media analysis. Of course, depending on your scope and interest, you might skip some of the items, but that doesn't suddenly make only one approach valid.

And finally, at the end of the day, when faced with criticism of something you enjoy, you have to ask the most important question: Do I actually give a fuck if people like this or not?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
it's a little clunky in the beginning with all the exposition and glenfathaneothas glanfellen biûwic shit, but overall serviceable.
Nah I enjoyed NWN OC for it's gameplay mechanics more than it's plot. Not sure if that makes it any better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ja pfuideivl :mad:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From what can I gather in this thread, Bioware is better at introducing players to settings of their own creation than Obsidian. :smug:

Of all the complaints about the writing in ME/DA, the specific criticisms leveled at PoE isn't one of them. :)

You fucked up, Fenstermaker. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
From what can I gather in this thread, Bioware is better at introducing players to settings of their own creation than Obsidian. :smug:

Of all the complaints about the writing in ME/DA, the specific criticisms leveled at PoE isn't one of them. :)

You fucked up, Fenstermaker. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.
Flip-flopping on PoE already? I expected better from you.

shake-head.gif

Hegel

Arcane

Better than BG2 (should I remind you that BG2 was basically a love story gone wrong, ex-boyfriend seeks revenge), NWN2/SoZ, South Park, Dungeon Siege and Alpha Protocol, worse than MoTB and PS:T, on par with New Vegas and Kotor (something is better, something is worse). Overall it's still better than the majority of RPGs.
Ignore Roguey, she's in damage control mode trying to deflect the blame away from her boyfriend. PoE's flaws are all Sawyer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Flip-flopping on PoE already? I expected better from you.

I didn't say the writing was bad. I'm just saying no one griped about dry infodumpy NPCs in Mass Effect or Dragon Age, ergo Bioware introduced their settings better.

Athelas

Arcane

:slamdunk:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom