Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
EDIT: That leaves a lot of other FMs to savor. We have several 'Dark Project appetizers' where you get a taste of the various locales that Thief originally brought us. Those interested can check out Haplo's "Darkness Walk With Us!", FrenchDecay, marbleman and JarlFrank's "In & Out" and "Tomb of St. Tennor" by vegetables (yes, Thief has vegan options ;) ). All three of them have the primary focus on the Undead, though.

I wouldn't say ours has its primary focus on the undead, considering how varied the locales you visit are.

Yandros

Savant
(Yandros also gets the honorary title of 'Rat King' for being the only taffer in the contest to feature live rats in his entry. There's a dead rat in "The Whistling of the Gears", but otherwise all the contest entries are rat-free.)
This is because (to my surprise, as this was my first time working in TG Dromed) there is no live rat AI available in T1G. Mine was faked somehow - probably it's an invisible servant walking around with a rat attached to his abdomen with a negative Z offset playing rat sounds, I don't even recall now.

Jazz_

Arcane
So what should I do in ''Lost Amont the Forsaken''? I'm stuck at the very beginning I believe, I mean I got to the ruined citadel with a few zombies lurking around, I found an amulet on a pile of skulls, other than that I'm just running in circles.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you're running into zombies you've cleared the starting area, at least. You should then have free movement over most of the map. If not, find a way to turn the power back on.

The two main goals are both found in the same place. The entrance to that place can be found within eyesight of the church.

Pretty much all roads lead to the church. Use the map and compass, there are roadsigns to guide you.

There are more than enough relics around to complete that objective (if you have it), just try to pick up various objects and see which ones go into your inventory.

Mind the cart. ;)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Something I did like abut Station to Station was the portable lantern. Are there any other FMs which have one outside of The Dark Mod? Shitty green glowsticks don't count.

Sure, but they mostly treat it as an item you can pick up, but isn't part of your inventory (like bodies and rubble). I think only one or two actually make it an inventory item.

Mechs Delight

Educated
EDIT UPDATE: Skacky's entry, though under a pseudonym, is "The Sound of a Burrick in the Room". (I also strongly suspect DrK has an entry... and if I'm right on which submission is his there's been a 'Celestial Alignment'-level event.)

Skacky's team went further and submitted several entries, including "Lost Among the Forsaken" (my favorite) and "The Whistling of the Gears". I also suspect "The Catacombs of Knoss" being part of that. Besides Melan returns with "Rose Garden", so fans of skacky-esque missions are in hog heaven right now.

Well, I was mostly in hog heaven. I thought "Rose Garden" was an overlong, frustrating mess.

nicked

Educated
Something I did like abut Station to Station was the portable lantern. Are there any other FMs which have one outside of The Dark Mod? Shitty green glowsticks don't count.
Setting up a working portable lantern in dromed is hard work if you want it to turn on and off. You basically have to fake it by getting a script to switch between an unlit lantern and a lit lantern as separate objects that are added and removed from your inventory. There's one in one of my missions, Death's Turbid Veil, which I combined with pitch darkness in a mine. Jury's out as to whether it was horrifying as intended or just annoying. :D

LarryG wrote a tutorial about a portable lantern and I used that one. I don't think it was difficult to set it up, but remember you need to load NVScript, save a new gamesys and associate the gamesys with your mission. Take note to compare the brightness of your lantern with your ambient light settings, or else it is still useless. LarryG made a remark that it was weird you can use the bow while carrying the lantern. He used the 'roblant' model. I used the model of the emergency groundlight and decreased the size using the shape>scale property. I imagined a thief could wear the small electric torch on his belt or on his chest and still move freely.
https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthr...l=1&t=141531&p=2188660&viewfull=1#post2188660

Incidentally, did someone read the self reflection I posted?

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
EDIT UPDATE: Skacky's entry, though under a pseudonym, is "The Sound of a Burrick in the Room". (I also strongly suspect DrK has an entry... and if I'm right on which submission is his there's been a 'Celestial Alignment'-level event.)

Skacky's team went further and submitted several entries, including "Lost Among the Forsaken" (my favorite) and "The Whistling of the Gears". I also suspect "The Catacombs of Knoss" being part of that. Besides Melan returns with "Rose Garden", so fans of skacky-esque missions are in hog heaven right now.

Well, I was mostly in hog heaven. I thought "Rose Garden" was an overlong, frustrating mess.

It's interesting how polarizing Rose Garden is. Some people love it, some absolutely hate it. Melan really shook things up with this one!

DrKubiac

Educated
I think the very first mission which created the portable lantern in your inventory was A Debt Repaid, by Ottoj55. I took its settings and put one in Rocksbourg 3, however it was very clunky and could get stuck in terrain very often. Maybe newdark solved this issue, I didn't try it ever since.

Other than that, I can't remember another mission with such a lantern. There probably are a few more though...

Psych0sis

Educated
A few weeks ago I said I'd wait until contest voting concludes before touching DromEd again, now I'm spending Christmas eve working on 3 or 4 WIPs. DromEd addiction is real.
:negative:

Basically the same here. I just want to get off mr Drom's wild ride.

DrKubiac

Educated
Welcome to the club!
It's good to know you're working on more FMs, Shadow Play has so much character it would be a shame not to use your skills anymore.

Mechs Delight

Educated
I just had one more mission for Thief II that's been released lately that I hadn't played: "CNSD: The Game!" I thought, what did I have to lose?

The answer: about an hour or so of my life.

Why is this a Thief fan mission? Long, endless like-looking hallways with a few totally ineffective jump scares and pleasant but forgettable music. Is the author another of cardia's distant cousins?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I just had one more mission for Thief II that's been released lately that I hadn't played: "CNSD: The Game!" I thought, what did I have to lose?

The answer: about an hour or so of my life.

Why is this a Thief fan mission? Long, endless like-looking hallways with a few totally ineffective jump scares and pleasant but forgettable music. Is the author another of cardia's distant cousins?

Is that by Terra?

He generally makes missions with... questionable gameplay.

Psych0sis

Educated
Nicked's tutorial is very good and basically held my hand for a majority of my building process. The bit on the Objective Maker is outdated though, but otherwise it's great. :shittydog::shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom