Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief 2 fan missions and campaigns

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by SCO, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Curratum Liturgist

Curratum

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Curratum Liturgist

Curratum
    Hey hey, people, I randomly googled up for an update to my T1 TFix and T2 Tafferpatcher and it seems Tafferpatcher is out of date now and the new hip thing is to use the new T2Fix.

Should I switch to that?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Psych0sis Literate

Psych0sis
    Down in the Old Vault is definitely a solid fm, and it's worth playing if you enjoy anything thief related, but it's just got too much going against it to really stand out as something special. Solid 7/10 at least if you enjoy basic city-style FMs.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I agree with this, as well as your more detailed points over at TTLG. I found the FM to be tiered, as in how a ziggurat is built, with the street level being flat and boring. Fortunately the other tiers are not plagued by these problems and are far more interesting.

I was 425 short of the overall loot and found (and used) all the deposit keys, so I feel I did pretty good overall. For me it's a solid 7.5/10.

Did you find the Shrink Ray, BTW?

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Curratum Liturgist

Curratum
    Also, any idea what I need to get to have water that looks like this?

[​IMG]

I tried the T(2)Fix enhanced water option and it looks a lot worse.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. nicked Educated

nicked
    Looks like some kind of hi-res water pack, though which I wouldn't know. Looks problematically opaque...

Started giving Down in the Old Vault a play, but haven't finished it yet. So far, it's very well-designed, if not very well "arted". i.e. the layout, challenge, guard patrols, clues, loot placement - all of that stuff is great. It's just let down by the boxy, basic look of the thing. The main problem is that everything is at least twice as big as it needs to be.
    But on the whole it's just a good old fashioned Thiefy good time. Looking forward to getting some more time on it.

I've also been replaying Eshaktaar's Broken Triad, of which I have very fond memories. It's an unmissable fan mission, undoubtedly, though I'd forgotten how contrived and full of clunky exposition the writing is. In terms of level design and puzzle design, it's top notch throughout. The narrative holding it together is mostly nonsense and feels like it was cobbled together as an afterthought to give you a reason to be solving puzzles. It's most obvious in the difference between readables that serve as clues and readables that serve as plot. The former are mostly tight, well-written and leave you feeling smart for following their hints. The latter are just contrived infodumps where the levers of the plot can be seen clunkily dropping into place.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Psych0sis Literate

Psych0sis
    Alright, I couldn't help myself. I tried the Sister and it might just rival Les Paolis for the worst mission of the year.

God damn, what's his obsession with making every fucking wall look like it's made out of clay?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. nicked Educated

nicked
    OK yeah, Down in the Old Vault was excellent fun - highly recommended.

It's got a good story with well-paced progression, some lovely attention to details, the challenge level is fair and never frustrating, both in terms of enemy placement and platforming. It also manages to do a good job of turning key-hunting into an actual fun side activity.
    As mentioned, the only thing that lets it down is that the streets and buildings are all built to a too-large scale, meaning things feel boxy, sparse and empty. It's much less of a problem when you get into the grimier areas of the mission like sewers and the titular old vault.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    List of recomended Fan Missions:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Life Coach berd Patron

Life Coach
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    If you can't see through the surface, you're better off with vanilla.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)