Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief 2 fan missions and campaigns

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by SCO, Nov 17, 2010.

1. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Well, since I like authors because of their style, I voted based on the gameplay and level design... the fact that they switched styles doesn't change anything. Would still have voted the same if I had known it before. I'm just a sucker for rooftop-y city missions, no matter who makes them.

Still, goddamn fucking genius of you two. You even switched Thief versions, with DrKubiac using Thief Gold and skacky using Thief 2. God-tier level of trolling :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Garrettt Educated

Garrettt
    Something interesting from an Otherside Entertainment twitter conversation

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Next thing we know, Underworld will be full of taffers. :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Random_Taffer Educated

Random_Taffer
    I never played any of the Underworld games. Really looking forward to seeing what the new one is all about.

^ Top  
  5. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    You should drop what you're doing and launch UU1 right now.

^ Top  
  6. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    This...but read the manuals first.

Yes, they're old enough to require that.

^ Top  
  7. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Underworld 1 has aged tremendously well. I replayed it last year, and it was better than I remembered it from the 90s. Also, surprisingly long and complex.

Don't have so many good things to say about the much inferior, "story-centric" UW2.

^ Top  
  8. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    I understand this criticism very well. UUW2 flat-out requires that you've played Ultima 7, and ties into both Ultima 7 and Ultima 7 Part 2 in ways that are both cool and uncool.

And that's before we get into the bug with digitized speech that slows down the game to a stuttering crawl, requiring a reboot to fix.

This is why I've asked people to ask Otherside if they have any plans with the source code for UUW1 and/or UUW2, but so far no answers have come forth.

^ Top  
  9. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I'd love to play UU1 and UU2 with full screen support. Just like system shock 1. Though SS1 had full screen support since release.

^ Top  
  10. Yandros Learned

Yandros
    I played UU1 when it came out and probably haven't since then - really need to fire it up and dive back in to get ready for UA's release.

^ Top  
  11. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    I last played the Underworld games back in 2012. I learned a few new things about them during that playthrough, even though I've owned them and played them on and off for over 20 years. These games are deep.

Yandros have you tried Arx Fatalis? It would make for a nice addition into the "road to UA release" plan due to it being the "spiritual successor" to Ultima Underworld and all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Yandros Learned

Yandros
    I have Arx but have never played it... thanks for the reminder, it's a great suggestion.

^ Top  
  13. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    I always knew that Thief thread is only an disguise for actual thread for people with superior taste. :obviously:

Thief, of course, is loved by people with superior taste, so this is ultimate disguise.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I actually first played Ultima Underworld a couple of years ago, so I never saw it when it was still new/modern. But it truly aged well: it's an amazing game that reaches a level of immersion few modern ones can. And the exploration is top notch, as is the soundtrack, but then we're talking about a LGS game so that's no surprise.

^ Top  
  15. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    LGS were one of those few studios that manage to make their games masterpieces. Every single one of them, even with their flaws. Really, it is amazing how they managed to keep up quality level in their times.

^ Top  
  16. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Divinity: Original Sin
    When it was new, i remember struggling with graphic settings in my 386 dx on uu2. Thank god I got a 486 shortly after start playing it. I got my hands on uu1 a year an a half later.

^ Top  
  17. DrKubiac Educated

DrKubiac
    :nocountryforshitposters:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  18. SlyFoxx Educated

SlyFoxx
    Russ, almost the same here with Arx. I vaguely remember having to get out of a cell and that the game used encumbrance like SS2. So you have this whole back and forth between screens thing. That was the one thing that I really didn't like about SS2...well that and guns that could only fire a few mags before getting all shoddy. But what made me give up Arx not long into the game was "I'm hungry." Seriously... what the fuck!? I felt I was spending more time looking for food than playing a game. Plus putting food and fire together to "bake a pie" or whatever is only fun in small doses. The best of Thief missions might require a little add this to that to make this new thing but as I recall Arx made me feel like I had a real fucking job.

^ Top  
  19. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    The comments for the 72 hour entries were released. I didn't mind most of them, but I find this a little amusing:

While I can understand why people can get tired of the stock textures, and I'm using custom textures myself for the next mission, I didn't know simply having your mission be mostly using stock textures is a bad thing by itself. I mean, look at Stinkykitty's missions and "Of Thieves and Rubies". Both have more or less stock resources and yet they're some of the great missions that have come out in recent times.

^ Top  
  20. Yandros Learned

Yandros
    That perspective is definitely in the minority, I wouldn't worry about it. Most players are fine with a mission with "old" textures as long as the story and gameplay are well executed.

^ Top  
  21. Random_Taffer Educated

Random_Taffer
    Yeah, definitely don't let it bother you (if it did). That comment is probably from someone who doesn't care about the story or read any readables. There are a few of them around.

^ Top  
  22. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    For me the question of textures is a matter of consistency: Pick a set and stick with it.

With some frobbable items and such I don't mind too much if they're of a different texture set than the walls and decorations (especially since some of the original ones are really bad) but it's when people mix and match that things get ugly.

^ Top  
  23. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    By the way, just found it. I think you will love it, even if it may be fake. But maybe it isn't, who knows.

[​IMG]

Also, guys, I'm a bit... well, I need to know names of recently released good missions. Can you help me, taffers?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Well well, let's see: Dirty Money (by our own DrKubiac), Darkstone Gem 2: Nobles & Craftsmen, A Job Well Done, Of Thieves & Rubies, Gems of Provenance.
    For TDM: The Rats Triumphant, Behind Closed Doors.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I didn't write that comment (mine was "Newbie mission that feels like someone's first steps with Dromed. It is simplistic, it is linear, it is rather small and it makes mistakes, but it has a certain charm and imagination."), but Thief 1 stock textures >> Thief 2 stock textures. You can create good missions with the latter, but it is much harder. The selection of good textures is narrower, and many of those which were updated became blander, less colourful and less dirty.

If you go T2, you should go custom stuff unless you can really use the stock resource set. Sure, Of Thieves and Rubies was great, but for every stock T2 mission with those visuals, you've got twenty meh ones.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)