Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
You should drop what you're doing and launch UU1 right now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Don't have so many good things to say about the much inferior, "story-centric" UW2.

I understand this criticism very well. UUW2 flat-out requires that you've played Ultima 7, and ties into both Ultima 7 and Ultima 7 Part 2 in ways that are both cool and uncool.

And that's before we get into the bug with digitized speech that slows down the game to a stuttering crawl, requiring a reboot to fix.

This is why I've asked people to ask Otherside if they have any plans with the source code for UUW1 and/or UUW2, but so far no answers have come forth.

Divinity: Original Sin
I'd love to play UU1 and UU2 with full screen support. Just like system shock 1. Though SS1 had full screen support since release.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I last played the Underworld games back in 2012. I learned a few new things about them during that playthrough, even though I've owned them and played them on and off for over 20 years. These games are deep.

Yandros have you tried Arx Fatalis? It would make for a nice addition into the "road to UA release" plan due to it being the "spiritual successor" to Ultima Underworld and all.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always knew that Thief thread is only an disguise for actual thread for people with superior taste. :obviously:

Thief, of course, is loved by people with superior taste, so this is ultimate disguise.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually first played Ultima Underworld a couple of years ago, so I never saw it when it was still new/modern. But it truly aged well: it's an amazing game that reaches a level of immersion few modern ones can. And the exploration is top notch, as is the soundtrack, but then we're talking about a LGS game so that's no surprise.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
LGS were one of those few studios that manage to make their games masterpieces. Every single one of them, even with their flaws. Really, it is amazing how they managed to keep up quality level in their times.

Divinity: Original Sin
I actually first played Ultima Underworld a couple of years ago, so I never saw it when it was still new/modern. But it truly aged well: it's an amazing game that reaches a level of immersion few modern ones can. And the exploration is top notch, as is the soundtrack, but then we're talking about a LGS game so that's no surprise.

When it was new, i remember struggling with graphic settings in my 386 dx on uu2. Thank god I got a 486 shortly after start playing it. I got my hands on uu1 a year an a half later.

SlyFoxx

Educated
Russ, almost the same here with Arx. I vaguely remember having to get out of a cell and that the game used encumbrance like SS2. So you have this whole back and forth between screens thing. That was the one thing that I really didn't like about SS2...well that and guns that could only fire a few mags before getting all shoddy. But what made me give up Arx not long into the game was "I'm hungry." Seriously... what the fuck!? I felt I was spending more time looking for food than playing a game. Plus putting food and fire together to "bake a pie" or whatever is only fun in small doses. The best of Thief missions might require a little add this to that to make this new thing but as I recall Arx made me feel like I had a real fucking job.

Dev_Anj

Learned
The comments for the 72 hour entries were released. I didn't mind most of them, but I find this a little amusing:

Old textures. Simple gameplay.

While I can understand why people can get tired of the stock textures, and I'm using custom textures myself for the next mission, I didn't know simply having your mission be mostly using stock textures is a bad thing by itself. I mean, look at Stinkykitty's missions and "Of Thieves and Rubies". Both have more or less stock resources and yet they're some of the great missions that have come out in recent times.

Yandros

Savant
That perspective is definitely in the minority, I wouldn't worry about it. Most players are fine with a mission with "old" textures as long as the story and gameplay are well executed.

Random_Taffer

Educated
Yeah, definitely don't let it bother you (if it did). That comment is probably from someone who doesn't care about the story or read any readables. There are a few of them around.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
For me the question of textures is a matter of consistency: Pick a set and stick with it.

With some frobbable items and such I don't mind too much if they're of a different texture set than the walls and decorations (especially since some of the original ones are really bad) but it's when people mix and match that things get ugly.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
By the way, just found it. I think you will love it, even if it may be fake. But maybe it isn't, who knows.

6KlriZX.png

Also, guys, I'm a bit... well, I need to know names of recently released good missions. Can you help me, taffers?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Well well, let's see: Dirty Money (by our own DrKubiac), Darkstone Gem 2: Nobles & Craftsmen, A Job Well Done, Of Thieves & Rubies, Gems of Provenance.
For TDM: The Rats Triumphant, Behind Closed Doors.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The comments for the 72 hour entries were released. I didn't mind most of them, but I find this a little amusing:
Old textures. Simple gameplay.
While I can understand why people can get tired of the stock textures, and I'm using custom textures myself for the next mission, I didn't know simply having your mission be mostly using stock textures is a bad thing by itself. I mean, look at Stinkykitty's missions and "Of Thieves and Rubies". Both have more or less stock resources and yet they're some of the great missions that have come out in recent times.
I didn't write that comment (mine was "Newbie mission that feels like someone's first steps with Dromed. It is simplistic, it is linear, it is rather small and it makes mistakes, but it has a certain charm and imagination."), but Thief 1 stock textures >> Thief 2 stock textures. You can create good missions with the latter, but it is much harder. The selection of good textures is narrower, and many of those which were updated became blander, less colourful and less dirty.

If you go T2, you should go custom stuff unless you can really use the stock resource set. Sure, Of Thieves and Rubies was great, but for every stock T2 mission with those visuals, you've got twenty meh ones.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So, my mission is almost done. I'm actually going to finish it before the deadline, possibly this weekend. That even gives me a few days for betatesting.

It's almost fully roombrushed, architecture is done completely, and I'm just adding AIs and lighting now. And, of course, the last step after that, which is implementing objectives.

Adding windows to building facades to make them look like actual buildings rather than blocks is getting tiresome, though. Still have a few of those to do. I'll actually be glad when I'm finished cause in some places, I have made a real mess. It's probably a little ambitious for a first project by a guy who never worked with any level editor at all, but it's been very great in teaching me how to use DromEd.

I know Karwelas wants to betatest it, anyone else here interested? skacky, Melan, DrKubiac, Dev_Anj?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Heh, I actually think you managed to outdo disorientation with Endless Rain, skacky. They're both 10/10 missions. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom