Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Yandros

Savant
I think Dafyyd's latest comment is telling:

I'm about two minutes away from dropping this mission. It's neither intriguing nor even fun anymore.
I'm tired of spending more time reading the thread than playing the game.

But was this mission actually intended to be played? Or just... admired?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't even played the mission myself yet, only watched Fen's Let's Play. The guy tends to be very fair and forgiving towards FMs, but Keeper of Infinity made him rage multiple times, and at one point he came close to giving up. When he finished the second mission, he said he's probably not going to LP a mission by Soul Tear ever again because those two missions were just so incredibly frustrating.

They certainly are beautiful to look at, though, and extremely impressive from a technical standpoint. Heck, they are probably among the most beautiful Thief FMs ever released, and if you took the basic architecture of it and changed the gameplay to be less troll-ish, it would have potential to be an amazing mission. But the way it's right now... it looks impressive, but it doesn't look fun. It looks like the creator wants to show off and tell you "Hey player, look at my cool design! Look at how many different objectives there are, this mission sure is complex, huh? Look at how big it is, here's one more optional objective, in fact, here are so many objectives that they can't all be displayed on the objectives screen anymore! Also, the scripting - oh boy, did you see my scripting? Check out those fresh scripts mang, shit is so cash! Oh and I also implemented some clever puzzles, that's cool huh? Look at what I'm doing with this engine! LOOK AT THE AWESOME THINGS I'M DOING WITH THIS ENGINE!!"

Judging from the Keeper of Infinity missions, I'd hire Soul Tear as a programmer, scripter and/or graphic designer.
I wouldn't hire him as a gameplay designer, though.

P.S.:
talking about Fen's let's plays and technically impressive missions, check out this very impressive thing I created for April 1st:

Dev_Anj

Learned
I have a very exciting announcement to make.

Skacky, Firemage, Squadafroin and an unknown guy are working on a 10 level campaign for Thief: Gold. Skacky just announced it today on TTLG, and right now he's looking for voice actors and people who can make briefing videos. Details below:

The year is 833. Your are Hume, a hardened convicted criminal returning to The City after a forced exile. You are lost, don't recognise places that used to be familiar and you are a stranger to everyone. Plunge into a sinister plot involving crime, dark secrets, hushed conspiracies behind closed doors and eldritch terrors as you try to make a living in this ever-hostile city of gears, smoke and filth.

Teaser emulating the style of old TDP trailers (but with less talent!).

- 10 Huge Missions
The Black Parade is comprised of 10 sprawling missions that will test your thieving skills. Explore the darkened backstreets and alleyways of The City, take on the Thieves' Highway, go spelunking for riches guarded by the ancient dead and plan audacious break-ins in The City's finest households and guarded places.

- Expanded Lore
Built upon Thief Gold and a bit of Thief 2: The Metal Age, as well as the lore established by the likes of Purah and Melan, The Black Parade aims at expanding the lore considerably by adding several new quarters and districts to The City, as well as fleshing out various factions and aspects such as administration, the criminal underworld and the rivalries between several groups. You only saw a fraction of the huge medieval metropolis through Garrett's eyes. Hume brings a new perspective and the story is carefully intertwined with Thief Gold's. For instance, here is our City map.

- A Love Letter to Thief Gold
This campaign is designed as a tribute to Thief Gold and its very peculiar style and level design. It is an old-school campaign at its core and while it uses a bunch of new textures and objects, they are still faithful to the original artstyle. Expect surreal areas and a creepy atmosphere!

Help needed
The Black Parade is well underway but we are currently only four people working on it. We have the whole mission design, objects and story covered, but we are lacking the talents for Thief 1 and 2-style briefings and voice acting. If you are interested in helping, please get in touch!

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146501&p=2315674

Riskbreaker

Well, I'm officially far more hyped for this than for any upcoming commercial release. God bless you all, skacky & co!:salute:

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Conductor, I'd like a full-fare, first-class, one-way ticket on the

635787550977653630273730233_1d3.png

, please.

Renault

Novice
Like I said on TTLG, the brothel was made pretty damn hard on purpose so this is no surprise the reception seems to be mixed.

Couldn't locate this particular discussion over on TTLG - was curious to know though why the brothel was intentionally made so difficult. I just finished this set of FMs (Chalice of Souls) over the weekend and had a great time with it, with this part being the exception. It was difficult to the point of frustrating and stopped being fun. Hopefully you guys can scale it back a bit for the upcoming campaign.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I thought the brothel itself would be too small/over too quickly so I cranked up difficulty quite a bit. In retrospect it was a really bad idea. Don't worry though, the campaign won't have any levels as bullshit hard as that one, even the most heavily guarded ones.

Renault

Novice
Sounds good. Btw, kind of random thought here, but I think difficulty is why a lot of diehard Thief fans stay away from TDM. They don't really play Thief as a hardcore stealth simulation, it's more for the exploration and atmosphere. A lot of TDM missions are hard to the point of frustrating, and I think that's the way they like it over there. Maybe I'm saying this because Chalice 2 kind of reminded me of a TDM missino in that respect.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Hmmm. Should've googled our campaign's name beforehand... :shittydog:
Haha! With any luck your campaign will be coming on Google as results for that name. Let's just hope the mainstream media reports on it.
So anything special planned for the Codex with regards to this new campaign? ;) I hope you get people for the voice acting and briefings soon too.

Yandros

Savant
Random_Taffer and I already volunteered to do voice acting. I'm good at guards and nobles, from gruff to clear and both British and American. R_T is really good at voicing sissies and that's about it.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
We will contact everyone who offered to help in due time, once we have everything mostly ready.
I've been working hard on revising the briefings and various conversations in the past few days, and Squadafroin also made a pivotal point in the campaign's storyline a whole lot better.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
I SKIP READING CODEX FOR TWO DAYS AND FUCKING THIS. I'm too hype now, really. You fukken taffers. Damn, I would be happy to contribute, but I don't know anything about Dromed. Maybe voice acting... hmm.

Random_Taffer

Educated
Random_Taffer and I already volunteered to do voice acting. I'm good at guards and nobles, from gruff to clear and both British and American. R_T is really good at voicing sissies and that's about it.

You miserable faggot.

He's right, though. I can actually do a decent T1 guard2 impression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom