Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief 2 fan missions and campaigns

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by SCO, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Yandros Learned

Yandros
    If I'm interpreting Soul Tear's latest comments correctly, he said that only 20% of testers actually could complete the campaign without issues. He also said he wasn't trying to do any better than that and that he was satisfied with the results.

:retarded:

^ Top  
  2. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It is certainly a design philosophy (that would make Roberta Williams proud).

^ Top  
  3. Yandros Learned

Yandros
    Ah, Roberta Williams. I haven't heard her name in a while. When I was a teenager, around 1983, I got Time Zone on Apple II (it was a whopping 7 discs or some such) and it was virtually impossible to follow what was going on or figure out what to do next. I actually wrote a letter (you know, the kind you put a stamp on) to Sierra with a question to get unstuck, and also to poke fun at one particular game image (a Russian fellow holding a gun which was floating a foot above his hands). They actually wrote me back with answers, but also said they were glad I liked the graphics. Sarcasm was just as hard to get across with snail mail as it is electronically.

^ Top  
  4. Renault Novice

Renault
    So what's with the whole Russian difficulty thing? Are the rest of the FMs out there just way too damn easy for all those super intelligent ruskie Thief fans?

After reading more of the TTLG thread, I think I'm passing on KoI2. Sounds way too frustrating. Maybe I'll do a run someday when Ricebug has written one of his walkthroughs. I'm gonna go a bit older school and fire up Sterlino's Horns of Canzo FMs, two missions I've never actually finished before.

^ Top  
  5. Yandros Learned

Yandros
    I think Dafyyd's latest comment is telling:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I haven't even played the mission myself yet, only watched Fen's Let's Play. The guy tends to be very fair and forgiving towards FMs, but Keeper of Infinity made him rage multiple times, and at one point he came close to giving up. When he finished the second mission, he said he's probably not going to LP a mission by Soul Tear ever again because those two missions were just so incredibly frustrating.

They certainly are beautiful to look at, though, and extremely impressive from a technical standpoint. Heck, they are probably among the most beautiful Thief FMs ever released, and if you took the basic architecture of it and changed the gameplay to be less troll-ish, it would have potential to be an amazing mission. But the way it's right now... it looks impressive, but it doesn't look fun. It looks like the creator wants to show off and tell you "Hey player, look at my cool design! Look at how many different objectives there are, this mission sure is complex, huh? Look at how big it is, here's one more optional objective, in fact, here are so many objectives that they can't all be displayed on the objectives screen anymore! Also, the scripting - oh boy, did you see my scripting? Check out those fresh scripts mang, shit is so cash! Oh and I also implemented some clever puzzles, that's cool huh? Look at what I'm doing with this engine! LOOK AT THE AWESOME THINGS I'M DOING WITH THIS ENGINE!!"

Judging from the Keeper of Infinity missions, I'd hire Soul Tear as a programmer, scripter and/or graphic designer.
    I wouldn't hire him as a gameplay designer, though.

P.S.:
    talking about Fen's let's plays and technically impressive missions, check out this very impressive thing I created for April 1st:

^ Top  
  7. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    I have a very exciting announcement to make.

Skacky, Firemage, Squadafroin and an unknown guy are working on a 10 level campaign for Thief: Gold. Skacky just announced it today on TTLG, and right now he's looking for voice actors and people who can make briefing videos. Details below:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146501&p=2315674

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  8. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. TripJack Prestigious Gentleman Hedonist

TripJack
  10. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
  11. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Oh damn
    :ibelieveincleve:
    ...er...
    :hype:

^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Oh yeah baby.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Well, I'm officially far more hyped for this than for any upcoming commercial release. God bless you all, skacky & co!:salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism

I haven't been this excited about anything gaming related in the last 10 years.

^ Top  
  15. Arrowgrab Learned

Arrowgrab
    Conductor, I'd like a full-fare, first-class, one-way ticket on the

[​IMG]

, please.

^ Top  
  16. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Hmmm. Should've googled our campaign's name beforehand... :shittydog:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Renault Novice

Renault
    Couldn't locate this particular discussion over on TTLG - was curious to know though why the brothel was intentionally made so difficult. I just finished this set of FMs (Chalice of Souls) over the weekend and had a great time with it, with this part being the exception. It was difficult to the point of frustrating and stopped being fun. Hopefully you guys can scale it back a bit for the upcoming campaign.

^ Top  
  18. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    I thought the brothel itself would be too small/over too quickly so I cranked up difficulty quite a bit. In retrospect it was a really bad idea. Don't worry though, the campaign won't have any levels as bullshit hard as that one, even the most heavily guarded ones.

^ Top  
  19. Renault Novice

Renault
    Sounds good. Btw, kind of random thought here, but I think difficulty is why a lot of diehard Thief fans stay away from TDM. They don't really play Thief as a hardcore stealth simulation, it's more for the exploration and atmosphere. A lot of TDM missions are hard to the point of frustrating, and I think that's the way they like it over there. Maybe I'm saying this because Chalice 2 kind of reminded me of a TDM missino in that respect.

^ Top  
  20. Max_b5 Learned

Max_b5
    The Black Parade looks beyond amazing! :salute:

^ Top  
  21. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    Haha! With any luck your campaign will be coming on Google as results for that name. Let's just hope the mainstream media reports on it.
    So anything special planned for the Codex with regards to this new campaign? ;) I hope you get people for the voice acting and briefings soon too.

^ Top  
  22. Yandros Learned

Yandros
    Random_Taffer and I already volunteered to do voice acting. I'm good at guards and nobles, from gruff to clear and both British and American. R_T is really good at voicing sissies and that's about it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    Lol at that last line!

To be honest I can do oriental accents, if the need arises. It's just that I don't have a good microphone here.

^ Top  
  24. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Yandros: Would you also do a few lines for my upcoming mission? It's not much, but I'll need a decent variety of voicework.

^ Top  
  25. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    We will contact everyone who offered to help in due time, once we have everything mostly ready.
    I've been working hard on revising the briefings and various conversations in the past few days, and Squadafroin also made a pivotal point in the campaign's storyline a whole lot better.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)