Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief 2 fan missions and campaigns

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by SCO, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Aholf Ditler Novice

Aholf Ditler
    Unlike the useless and corrupt parliamentary democracy, in fan missions, quality is more important than quantity.

In democracy, it's the same as some of them who have twenty terminal idiots voters, if the others has been voted by two capable and decent people, will win the party of the idiots. But with the fan missions we prefer to have a "bathory" or "seven sisters" each year than Fifty "Towers of Jorge "

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Max_b5 Learned

Max_b5
    I prefer Towers of Jorge and ice cream cones rather than anything else tbh.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Challenge accepted!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    Yu ar a stupid man Max_b5...

I elplain now why you of stupid like haluminium.

lol only fake architecta Skakyyy puts ice crame cone on hisa building

because he not real architecta ne not touch real arckitect.

He then puts cubes in ice crema cone hahahahaa and no put light shaft anywer

you put gelatta in the cone of the ice crema... :D

I told that to my seventh wife francesca

but she stupid womanm, and I break monitor on her heda and tell her she stupid. :D

stupid like stupid man peope of forum where I put art mission

but they all cospirazione agen me, say it plays like dung of a cow animal

and then I tell them they stupida stupida stupida

and their wives, sister and mothers all tell me they stupid people of the hmosexual while I satisfy them when I make my art mission hahaha :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    Now all it needs is Fen rapping those lines, and it will be perfect! :D

Sorry Fen haters.

^ Top  
  6. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Also, from my counting I see that 8 of 2016's Thief 2 FMs were made by new authors. That's pretty impressive for a game of this age.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I just played through Morbid Curiosity. Holy shit this was good, especially for a debut mission. Lots of little details and hidden areas to discover, optional objectives, solid city section (although it was a little too labyrinthine for my tastes), and especially:

HOLY SHIT THAT GALLERY SECTION

It's so fun and creative! It does have a little "Thief theme park" syndrome to it, but that's because that's exactly it... an exhibition on the different factions and areas of Thief. Undead, Hammerites, Pagans, Keepers, Lost City... it's just such a fun area to go through. It's even more fun if you're a Dromeder because the gallery houses some very rarely - if at all - used creatures from Dromed Deluxe. Hah.

Can't wait for Pukey Brunster to release more missions. This was excellent!

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. SlyFoxx Educated

SlyFoxx
    Note to the "Professional" designers of T4....you just got smoked by an amateur designer using a 20 year old game engine. I mean smoked like Cheech & Chong in '78.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. forumvisitor#451 Savant

forumvisitor#451
    How do you improve audio in Thief or in games in general? I used to use some Razer utility which enhanced positional audio, is there any other magic?

^ Top  
  10. cowking Educated

cowking
    There's the sound enhancement pack, I've used it before and it's good. Makes sounds more "solid" (only way I can describe it), instead of having that hint of static hiss.

^ Top  
  11. forumvisitor#451 Savant

forumvisitor#451
    Okay,thanks for that. I do not mind "static", part of the charm. Wil try that anyways. But what about windows audio tweaks/Realtek driver tweaks/whatever program? I mean improving audio in general.

^ Top  
  12. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    So I finally played through the Dracula campaign.

The Bathory campaign is one of my favourite FMs ever, but Dracula is obviously Sensut's earlier work: it has a little less of the stuff I loved about Bathory, but more of the stuff that was annoying. Locking the way forward with switches or keys, sometimes for no real reason at all (the final mission has you open an underwater access cave by going into ANOTHER underwater access cave that is hidden behind rocks, and hit a switch there; then you go back out and into the main passage. The only reason for this second cave to exist is to open the gate leading to the first one - it doesn't add anything to the gameplay and you could entirely remove it, it just serves to make the player search for something and obscure the way forward. Also in the final mission, right before the very end, there is a broken lever... and guess where the lever rod that you need to fix it is? RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE LEVER! Why make it broken then in the first place? Pointless.)

The story is good, though, and it's an interesting interpretation of Bram Stoker's source material. It actually incorporates a lot of the original story, and deals with it rather faithfully.
    The level design - apart from the aforementioned annoyances - is solid. Mostly castles and some cave crawling and outdoors action, I had the most fun with the castles in the second and third mission. First mission might be my favourite though. Sensut does have a hand for creating visually impressive castles and outdoors areas.

Overall I rate it Good 7/10 which makes it above average but well below the Bathory campaign, which is much more refined and has less of the "let's obscure the way forward so the player has to search the entire area for it lol" thing that plagues Dracula. I'd say it's worth playing through once, but keep a walkthrough ready for when you're stuck.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    I prefer it to Bathory simply because because I prefer its gothic horror environs and atmosphere to Bathory's more grounded historical theme. Bathory is indeed far more impressive piece of work, plus Dracula's level design sometimes feels downright on rails even without any sort of direct comparison with Bathory's missions. And yeah, some sections are either annoying or tedious like the aforementioned underwater cave or needlessly long catacombs (that you have to traverse while carrying a body). Visuals and mood of Dracula campaign just sort of click with me, is all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yeah, the atmosphere is great, and I love the way Sensut managed to marry his own story with Bram Stoker's Dracula, it's surprisingly faithful to the source material (with some small necessary deviations of course). Only the fact that this FM's protagonist, Gellert, who lives in London, is somehow friends with Garret who lives... not even on real Earth is kinda hilarious, especially since it's entirely irrelevant and only mentioned twice as far as I remember.

^ Top  
  15. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Maybe is a London on that not real earth... :troll:

^ Top  
  16. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yeah and he travels to not-Earth Transilvania, where Vlad Dracula was the voivod of not-Earth Romania, which is being invaded by not-Earth Turks :M

^ Top  
  17. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    You got it.

[​IMG]

When that not-moon gets full, you may get a vampire vs werewolves sighting...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    ^ Top  
  18. Max_b5 Learned

Max_b5
    Gotta love the evolution in most of FM authors' style when playing throughout their FMs. This is what makes me keep playing them because you never know what to expect on each release. :love:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Including yourself, pal. Nobles and Craftsmen was a huge surprise after your previous missions cause you hadn't attempted that kind of rooftop mission before, and in the previous missions you tried a new style with each mission, from (non-rooftop) city to sewer, and for the next one it's on to mines. That's some great variety.

I also love the development of Christine as a mission author. Her later FMs are the perfect "relaxing FMs" to me, ones that have a really cozy atmosphere and her unique touch of style. Her first missions suffered from disproportionate dimensions (like many beginner authors, she just made spaces too large) and had way too much marble abuse, but you notice her design improving with each mission when you play through them. It's the most obvious with Christine because she just made such a sheer amount of FMs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    So I'm playing "Up in the Bonehoard" now, and I'm having a love-hate relationship with it.

On the one hand, the design is really surreal and genius, and I love the Alarus extension and the BOW UPGRADE that lets you shoot ropes into stone.

On the other, it's filled with drops that are high enough to damage you (sometimes necessitating horribly awkward and almost impossible rope-action) and lots of climbing and platforming that doesn't work all too well in this engine. The geometry is sometimes wonky and you get caught in it, etc. This mission would've benefitted from some more testing.

But holy shit it's just so creative that I can forgive most of these faults. LITERALLY EVERYTHING is turned upside down.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I may give it another go, I gave up the last time because somehow I missed the BOW UPGRADE that stinkykitty put in.

^ Top  
  22. Random_Taffer Educated

Random_Taffer

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. tormund Arcane

tormund
    Pagan-infested wilderness is always better with a dash of Sean Connery added in.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    [​IMG]

Taffers are time travellers.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)