Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

eat_pray_loot

Novice
Game fucking sucks, Ron Gilbert is a hack, Delores makes my stomach turn, dont fucking buy it

Going to agree with this. Delores was an awful milquetoast wish-fulfillment nerdgirl character and we're forced to use her for a lot of the game. Reyes was the only one given a solid motivation and Ransome had the only interesting personality. The meta was corny, not sly. The puzzles were okay but there were some problems there. Glad I got this on sale. Plot/puzzle spoilers ahead.

The bank opens and no indication of that to the player. Uranium in puddles? Franklin can't help with the battery for....reasons.

And the ending was a bad version of the Matrix. Having them become self-aware doesn't work when you're still controlling them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The more I hear and think about Thimbleweed Park, the more I'm convinced development was rushed at the end and things left as they were to just tie (mostly) everything up and ship it out the door.

Because I've listened to Gilbert talk about some aspects of the game and a lot of thought went into those... yet the game clearly shows huge glaring flaws.

Like how for example the 'meta' of the game is contained inside of the game by the walkthrough being accessible in-game. At no point should you need to look away from the game to do anything related to it.

eat_pray_loot

Novice
The more I hear and think about Thimbleweed Park, the more I'm convinced development was rushed at the end and things left as they were to just tie (mostly) everything up and ship it out the door.

Because I've listened to Gilbert talk about some aspects of the game and a lot of thought went into those... yet the game clearly shows huge glaring flaws.

Like how for example the 'meta' of the game is contained inside of the game by the walkthrough being accessible in-game. At no point should you need to look away from the game to do anything related to it.

Don't agree with you there. If it was rushed, then there should be a lot of bugs or half-done sidequests. This smacks of a Gilbert crawling into his own ass and thinking he's more hilarious/brilliant than he is. Deathspank had a lot of the same problems.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
iqeDrc3.jpg
472d3os.jpg

EDIT : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56252.0

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
That does look pretty good. Which makes me think all this work would be put to much better use making an original game rather than remaking this one.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
That does look pretty good. Which makes me think all this work would be put to much better use making an original game rather than remaking this one.
It is happening.
after seeing your comments I don't want to lose my time on something that maybe I never can release, so I decided to start an own game, and recycle some sprites and things[...]keeping the dott/Sam and Max style and humor

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ron's RPG-ish thing project is getting serious it seems: https://grumpygamer.com/job_opening

Job Opening

help_wanted2.png

I have a (paid) art job opening for my side project. I'm not going to say much about the game other than what I'm looking for in an artist. Think of it as a puzzle.

I'm looking for a great 2D pixel tile artist. You need to have experience building tiles sheets for a tile-based game, I would prefer it if you've worked on a released game, but if haven't and your art is just a hobby and you're really good, that's OK.

I'm looking for someone that can create a very distinct art style and can help set the look and feel for the game. I'd like someone that can do more than just create art based on a task list, but rather someone that can act like a mini-art director.

Qualifications:

● You need to be able to spend 20+ hours a week working on the project for a couple of months.
● This is a PAID position, so you have to have the ability to work.
● Must have prior experience building tile sheets and tile maps (the more the better).
● Understand how to organize a tile sheet and create interconnecting reusable tiles.
● Need to be up on the "state of the art" in terms of pixel tile based games.
● Must love pixel art.

If you're interested, please contact me and include the following:

1) Your name.
2) Link to your portfolio/website/etc. It MUST include your tile work, but should also include other work to show you're a great artist beyond just tile work.
3) A list of games you've worked on.
4) Why you think you'd be awesome for this job.

I can't emphasize this enough... I want to create a very unique and interesting look for the game that goes beyond the stock 8-bit tile work out there now (not that it isn't great, just not what I'm looking for). Your portfolio doesn't have to include that new look, but it should show me you can help create it.

One last note, please don't post the above details in the comments, use the contact link.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://grumpygamer.com/twp_sales

Thimbleweed Park Sales
Interesting tidbit. Last quarter, Thimbleweed Park did 3x as well on Switch than Steam and overall has done better than Steam. It's hard to tell if we did really well on Switch are just badly on Stream. Probably a little of both. Steam sales were never where I thought they should be.

twp_sales_2018.png

The Apple number is a little misleading due to the Mac App Store and iOS being lumped together. Also, the GOG number does not include Q3 due to not receiving money from them yet.

Given that it's a controller based console, I am pretty impressed with the Xbox number. Microsoft has been a great partner.

The Sony numbers are perplexing. Compared to the Xbox, the PS4 has a much larger installed base, especially in Europe where Thimbleweed Park sales have been overwhelmingly the strongest. I am constantly asked why we don't do a Vita port. This is why.

These are all LTD (Life to Date) numbers, so Steam, GOG and Xbox had a lead, which makes the Switch all the more impressive.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
does nintendo help enough to justify a sequel or another game in the same engine?? it seemed like ron gilbert was disappointed in the sales overall, and this is the first time ive seen him not seem angry about it.... did nintendo save the day???

imweasel

Thimbleweed Park is the perfect mobile game.

The Switch port is probably of higher quality than the mobile port. That might explain why it sold better.

it seemed like ron gilbert was disappointed in the sales overall
Well, his ranting about President Trump certainly hurt sales. His nervous breakdown after the election was glorious.

RapineDel

Augur
Glad he at least they had some success on the Switch, I know they basically broke even on the game before the port so you'd hope with that extra boost the game became somewhat profitable for them.

I think the release of TP basically spelled the end for Kickstarter as a video game fundraiser outside Europe (unless you're just using it to garner interest/bring in a publisher). It's one of the few games made outside Europe that was actually properly planned, released in a timely manner to positive reception and yet still didn't really make any money.

You can blame it on the adventure game genre but the only reason to use Kickstarter is if your genre is niche anyway. All that aside, I enjoyed Thimbleweed Park and appreciated that we got what was promised, you can nitpick the ending and a couple of characters but it's miles ahead of what any other "veterans" have shat out over the last decade and I can't see another P&C game coming out with similar scope/not a walking simulator anytime soon.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also, the GOG number does not include Q3 due to not receiving money from them yet.

:hmmm:

Are they that late usually?

Anyway, from comments.

Is the tiny sliver between Google and Steam an artifact or actually something meaningful?

I was wondering if someone would see that? That's humble bundle sales. We haven't been in any Bundles, so that is just from their store (which gives out Steam Keys, but they are not included in the Steam numbers).

The Steam sales does not include KS backers, so that is one reason it is probably lower than normal.

Terra

Cipher
I liked Thimbleweed but it's hardly a classic like the Monkey Islands that Gilbert's well known for. Despite some positive streamlining (walk speed, integrated hints) I didn't feel the game benefited from having those multiple protagonists, switchable at any time. A lot of the time I ended up with different characters having the items that another one needed to solve a puzzle and there was no in-game way that the characters would know the others needed them. Some puzzle solving therefore felt unnatural to me. A minor thing to be sure, but having a bit more structure and having a set character for each chapter might have been better imo.

All that said, I'm not sure what expectations developers using kickstarter have of game sales for their backed projects; the people that would have day 1 purchased/pre-ordered your game are the ones that backed it. They aren't going to rebuy the game again when it launches. That's just the cost of doing business in that way, your most ardent/devoted fans will see it as a pre-order for that game, that's it.

Last edited:

bddevil

Educated
Finally finished it. Put it away about 75% in like a year ago and couldnt bring myself to finish it until now.

There is definitely way more good than bad, and while enjoyed the game, it definitely has some glaring problems.

First, let's start with what it does best - I think the opening and the first third of the game is great in terms of atmosphere, exploration and initial puzzles - even though the puzzles are simple, they make sense and progress the story. Along with a somewhat intriguing murder mystery, Scully/Mulder gag and some foruth wall jokes, I think the beginning is nearly perfect. Unfortunately I think the story falls off in the second half rather heavily, and while most hate the ending, I dont even mind it, because halfway through the story it gets clear that they don't really have a mystery going on.

The biggest problem I do have with the game though is invisible triggers and puzzles. Let me explain. You have a list of things you need to do (doesn't have to be written down, really - it's standard for adventure games) in order to progress.
So you start solving puzzles trying to accomplish things. But necessary things to progress simply aren't open to you past a certain trigger event. Since we haven't played the game before, we have no idea when it happens.

Not only do you get frustrated in trying to solve a puzzle because it simply gets done LATER ON AFTER A FUCKING TRIGGER, you get frustrated often because solution to the puzzle YOU come up with are more elegant, complex and interesting than the banal solution that is ACTUALLY the solution of the puzzle.

The hotel in particular is guilty of that, a lot. I've created some logical puzzle chains that would rival MI2 and made sense, only to be disappointed that the solution was 'wait for event x to trigger and then just zap object y'. Lame.
There are games like Runaway which are annoying because a character doesnt pick up things until some event when he/she needs those things, but those at least make sense from motivation perspective. Having a list of objectives in hands of 5 characters, and not knowing which can be tackled only after triggers, is kinda bad.

Speaking of multiple characters, many have mentioned it as a con; I don't mind it as much but the fact that only Agent Ray and Ransome had charismatic personalities kinda proves those people right. Reyes for example is completely redundant past the Scully/Mulder gag. I don't get why pay money to double
characters lines when more content could've been made. Reyes has a personality of thumbtack. Dolores is also too good/naive, but at least shes a programmer so I can relate.

Because of multiple characters, a lot of game is actually running around and trying things by multiple characters. Even with fast travel map (btw in the first half game the lack of the map is beautifully done that completely makes sense), you'll spend a lot of time traveling between locations to the point you'd think it's filler designed to give game some more hours and give the game an illusion of being non-linear, whereas the triggers are actually quite linear.

Like I've said, I didn't mind the ending too much - was probably the best way to end the game story that was kinda going nowhere halfway through. As we approach the end, we get some obligatory puzzles that only can be done with one character and don't make a ton of logical sense, instead of some complex puzzle chains.
The verbs are also more for a show as most things in the game can be done using just two-three actions. So the whole thing about it being old school adventure without rough edges, was definitely a bit exaggerated.

OK, from this mini-review it may sound like the game sucks, but it really doesn't. The first half or so is still one of the best adventures Ive played in a while. Itsfresh and hooks you in from the start. Ransome is awesome in how unapologetic he is, kinda like Rufus in deponia.
Again, my main concern is the puzzles depending on triggers and not really being complex as they could've been in an old school adventure game.

I would welcome more games in this vein.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wonder how much Epic paid him for this, especially compared to the (supposedly not great) revenues to date.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...new-classic-point-and-click-adv/posts/2463353

Happy Second Thimbleversary!
Posted by Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick (Creator)

Happy Two Year Anniversary of our launch, lovely Kickstarter backers and other Thimbleweed Park fan-a-renos.

4503f4a46cc767c32f1b662debae7e8f_original.jpg

It’s been two years since we launched Thimbleweed Park!

We’ve done so many things in that time, including:
  • Launched on PC, Mac, Linux with Steam, GOG, Humble and Epic Games.
  • Launched on Xbox One with Xbox Play Anywhere so you can switch between playing on your PC or Xbox.
  • Launched on PS4 and Switch.
  • Updated the game to include the much-loved in-game hint line system.
  • Added playable arcade games.
  • Released the Ransome *Unbeeped* DLC.
  • Sent out physical rewards to all our backers, including 1012 signed big boxes.
  • Launched big boxes for PC/Mac and PS4 and Switch, each with their own unique feelies.
  • Created a great range of cool swag with Fangamer, including 4 T-shirts, the ViewTron, mugs, and a metal sign.
Fangamer has restocked the PC/Mac big box (for the third time!) and has a crazy deal where you can get the Cast-a-Reno shirt for just $5 when bought with a big box! They’ve also released a cassette tape version of the soundtrack - previously only available in the PS4 big box.

To celebrate two years of Thimbleweed Park, we’re doing something a bit special. We want to show our gratitude for coming with us on this strange journey to a pixelated world of adventures. We’re giving away rare physical swag. Including free shipping anywhere in the world!

Four lucky people will get a rare big box version of the game. They can choose whether they want the PC/Mac, PS4, or Switch big box version.

5f710cfa3bc7140e577f5f8a8487572c_original.png

50 other lucky people will get one copy of the physical phonebook. Originally included in the sold out Switch big box, and only available via this prize drawing.

All you have to do is create an original tweet using the hashtag #visitThimbleweedPark. Tell everyone why they should spend some time in Thimbleweed Park. And if you haven’t been there, tell us why you’re keen to go.

Key Rules:
  • Tweet using the hashtag #visitThimbleweedPark by 9am (Pacific) April 2 2019.
  • Your tweet must include a statement as to why people should #visitThimbleweedPark.
  • Don’t reply to our tweet, make your own tweet.
  • Tweet must not be offensive or inappropriate (we reserve the right to judge this on an individual case).
  • Don’t violate Twitter's rules: only one account per individual can be used to enter the contest. Anyone caught using multiple accounts to enter a contest will be ineligible. Maximum one tweet (entry) per day of the competition. Must be over 21 to enter.
  • 4 randomly chosen people will win one big box of their choice (either PS4, Switch, or PC/Mac), including postage anywhere in the world.
  • 50 randomly chosen people will receive a voucher to redeem on Fangamer for the physical phonebook, including postage to anywhere in the world.
  • Winners will be drawn using https://competitionagency.com/tweetdraw/. Once chosen, winners will be checked for validity using above requirements.
  • We’ll get in touch with winners via Twitter direct message with details on how to redeem your reward. You must respond within 48 hours to be eligible to get your reward, otherwise we’ll draw another winner.
  • All winners will be notified by April 16 2019.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom