Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Things are looking up, eh?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by PorkyThePaladin, Jun 16, 2019.

1. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Where did this come from?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Terenty Educated

Terenty
    Yeah, link or never happened

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. kintake Learned

kintake
    Yeah, thought for sure this was considered vaporware by now?
    Please don't get my hopes up for this, I've been hurt too many times by broken promises of incline :(

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Euro games from the whole THQ Nordic/Deep Silver/Focus Home Interactive/Bigben Interactive/etc orbit usually don't have a significant presence at E3. Gamescom is their playground.

I guess ELEX 2 might be announced at Gamescom in August.

I'm not sure Realms Beyond will be seen anywhere until next year.

^ Top  
  5. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    "Oh, action RPGs, that shit is for peasants, would you pass the Grey Poupon..."

The reason that list is so heavy on action RPGs is because in case you haven't noticed, that's the direction the genre is going. I don't mean the mainstream AAA stuff, but even the heroes of yesteryear, devs who made turn-based games in the past, are all looking to make first/third person action RPGs now if given the chance. Cainarsky with Outer Worlds, Larian with BG3, Bloodlines 2, Obsidian with New Vegas (and others if they could afford to make those types of games).

The truth is, action RPGs have done well the last several years, while tactical isometric RPGs have not had NEARLY that level of success. If you are not a contrarian edgelord, you can see that games like the Witcher series, the Dark Souls series, ELEX, KCD, BotW, Dragon's Dogma have pushed their subgenre forward, and offer something new that even the best games 20 years ago did not. But in the iso scene, you have vastly inferior products to games of yesteryear. Would anyone normal not laugh when comparing Kingmaker and PoE and D:OS to Fallout 1/2, PST and BG saga?

That doesn't mean that a great turn-based isometric RPG cannot be made in the future, but right now, it is what it is. And many of those action RPGs I mentioned in the OP will probably be amazing. I cant wait to see what From Software and George Martin do with an open world and Norse mythology in the Elden Ring, or how Cyberpunk 2077 actually plays, or if Piranha Bytes can muster more resources for ELEX 2 and make an all-time great game on the solid foundation of the original, and what kind of systems KCD 2 will have, and so on.

• Shit x 5
    • decline x 4
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. BANANA CONDUCT Savant

BANANA CONDUCT
    No

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    There's only BG3 out that list I'm really interested in.

Labeling a load of FPS games "RPGs" did make me laugh tho.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Meh, couldn't care less of the has-beens who no longer have the magic touch they had in the distant past. This is a forum filled with collectives of niches within a niche, so why should we care that some has-beens are now actively pursuing completely different market whose taste are different, completely or partially, to ours?

Besides:
    • Underrail
    • Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats
    • Expedition games (Conquistador and Vikings)
    • ATOM RPG
    • Vigilantes
    • Heck, let's throw Fallout 2 TC mods out there, 1.5: Resurrection and Nevada is as good as a completely new game on par with (if not better than) Fallout 1&2
    • And probably a myriad of many other genuinely good iso cRPGs that I forgot to mention or missed in the last 3-4 years.
    Not to mention we have upcoming:
    • Colony Ship RPG
    • Copper Dreams
    • Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
    • Titan Outpost
    • Sands of Space
    • Encased
    • Disco Elysium
    • Fallen Gods
    • Fallout: Sonora and Mutants Rising
    • etc etc
    The time of Interplay, Black Isle, and Troika is long gone. The time of Stygsoft, Iron Tower Studio, Logic Artists, ATOM Team, etc etc is now. As for the guys like From Software, Piranha Bytes, Warhorse, and Capcom (per Dragon's Dogma), I respect them for what they are and what they achieved, and they aren't has-beens like the creators of Fallout 1&2, PS:T, BG games, and Arcanum. I love them as much as the next guy who likes Action-RPGs/Action games, but that doesn't mean I'm looking up to has-beens who are now also pursuing this particular piece of a pie, unless they actually offered something truly unique, innovative, and novel to the guys I actually respect.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • incline incline x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    You need a Chad here to balance out all these negative incels. :)

• Balanced x 4
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Several Chads required to balance you out. We do what we can.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Like Head Captain of the Incel Brigade himself here ^

^ Top  
  12. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    He may be a captain, but we all know warpig is Lord General.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Also, Bioshock didn't show up at E3. Maybe gamescom or pax?

^ Top  
  14. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    How many of these games have confirmed feminine penises? Just the one?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
  16. RaptorRex888 Educated

RaptorRex888
    None of those are RPG's

^ Top  
  17. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Maybe Porky should float the idea now to rename us into the Action RPG Codex

• Funny Funny x 2
    • :M :M x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. :prosper:

^ Top  
  19. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Porky died to Pinwheel in dark souls.
    Multiple times.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    Bioshock? WTF?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Far too many action rpgs on the top 100 list for the codex to act like they're not looking forward to these games

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Well, this. And I mean, if we're talking about turn-based and RTWP games in the last years...

There's this:
    Show Spoiler

And this:
    Show Spoiler

And I mean, those are just the last two years. Obviously I'm not saying that all the games released are good, but if someone can't find even a single game that sounds minimally interesting in all the games released in the last 5 years... It sounds more like a problem that exists in you. I like the 'classics' as much as the next poster, but it's possible to admire what has passed and also find qualities in what exists today. The "eternal and irreversible decline of games" (and music, and art, and culture and everything else) that is so common in today's discourse sometimes goes way too far.

Yeah, there's more shit nowadays. But we also have more people, more companies, more productions... More of everything, really. If 90% of what is produced in any given period is shit, 20 years ago if 500 games were released in a year, you would see 450 shitty games. Today, in Steam alone, there are more than 9000 games realeased in a year. It's understandable that sometimes it's hard to find something productive in the midst of so much stench, even if the proportion in the quality of productions hasn't changed (and I don't claim that it hasn't).

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Dafuq?!

Shamefur dispray.

PorkyThePaladin go commit sudoku.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    It is indeed a great period for cRPGs and their subgenres. And there are more "in the pipeline" like the Paranoia game for example.
    My main issue is that I'll never get the time to play all of these :P

• decline decline x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)