Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Expeditions game confirmed

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by DarkUnderlord, Nov 15, 2018.

1. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Patron

DarkUnderlord

• Brofist x 19
    • Excited! x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Interesting x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Immediate fan reaction:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2018
    • Funny x 11
    • WTF am I reading x 7
    • /facepalm/ x 4
    • Nuke it from orbit x 2
    • what? x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    expeditions: nickelodeon confirmed

• Funny x 17
    • Excited! x 5
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. BEvers I'm forever blowing

BEvers
    Expeditions: Sentient Sea Sponge

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    What is the reputation of THQ nordic?

I'm happy a third game is being made but I would hate to see the series suffer a "popamolization" or even worse: console ports.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    ELEX!

• Funny x 9
    • incline x 9
    • Prestigious x 4
    • Yes x 3
    • decline x 2
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Patron

DarkUnderlord
    Good. They published Elex, they have bought a lot of old IPs and they have also rereleased a lot of games. They have also published some titles recently like Spellforce 3, Wreckfest and This is the Police 1 and 2.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    They did the new Black Mirror game right?

Turning one of the best recent point&click series into a consoletard popamole shitfest which only lasts a couple of hours is at least one strike in the wrong direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm glad that they financed Spellforce 3 since it's a fine game, but they released it was way too early. The game got around 40 patches or something after release. I think the franchise and game suffered because of it, which is a shame.

^ Top  
  11. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Patron

DarkUnderlord
    Published, not developed. If popamole-ism was caused by THQ or the developers, I don't know. But I doubt it was THQ's doing, because they have been fine with publishing more hardcore games like Elex.

^ Top  
  12. getter77 Augur

getter77
    Nice surprise acquisition, kind of hope they can just let them loose on a nice 3 Kingdoms and/or Wuxia As All Hell tactical venture where they can just go all out within another setting entirely. India could well also be a great backdrop as it is so rarely touched upon despite the immense potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mark Richard Prophet

Mark Richard
    As far as I'm aware they're not meddlesome and focus on financing PC-centric games in the supposedly extinct mid-budget range, so the acquisition of the Expeditions series and partnership with Logic Artists for a third game is welcome news given the tepid 'It did OK' reception Viking got. If only Codexers had done their duty and bought six copies each.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Terra Learned

Terra
    Who the fuck are these morons. WTF does nickelodeon have to do with expeditions.

Guessing that Viking sadly didn't do as well as LA would have hoped for them to give up IP ownership, which is a shame as it's such an underappreciated series. That said, having a third game on the horizon gets me very excited, especially if THQ Nordic can pump some more money into it. They've done some good work recently with their acquisitions like the Desperados patch and their work with Titan Quest. Cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    ^ Top  
  15. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Patron

DarkUnderlord
    I believe that THQ Nordic bought the rights to some old Nickelodeon games a while ago and apparently those games have a big fanbase, somehow.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Jack Dandy Arcane

Jack Dandy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's nice, but I can't help but feeling a bit somber - so many of the smaller devs are getting bought out again. Hope they'll do okay.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic. Patron

DarkUnderlord
    Logic hasn't been bought out, just the IP to Expeditions. I too hope they will do well.

^ Top  
  18. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Good,most of the interesting games i have played the last few years were published by them. They bring incline for sure. Just look at ELEX and Spellforce3,replayed both games a month after release.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Safav Hamon Savant The Real Fanboy

Safav Hamon
    THQ Nordic bought the rights to a bunch of PS2 nickelodeon games, many of which have a large cult following (e.g Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom)

Anyways, I'm happy with this outcome if it allows them to make a third game. Hopefully this gives them a bigger budget to work with too.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Kruno Savant Shitposter

Kruno
    Expeditions: SJW KKKodex!

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. mustawd. Arcane

mustawd.
    It hasn’t been acquired as a company that is true. However, outside of Expeditions, they seem to have only one other game they have developed. So safe to say their future is a bit uncertain, financially.

Another possibility is that they intend to continue working with THQ Nordic for the foreseeable future (which gives them some stability) but want the option to remain creatively independent.

Regardless, the hardest thing to do as a company is build an audience and a recognizable IP. They still have the core audience, but sold their most valuable assets. It’s gonna be tough trying to build a new IP from scratch without having an established IP to provide a certain amount of reliable funds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    But where will the expedition take us next?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    the kitchen

expeditions: urmom

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    I just don't understand how these guys can have full time employees and an office in an extremely expensive city like Copenhagen by making games that sell 50000 copies tops, most at 10 bucks or less.

The economics just don't add up.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. SniperHF Prophet

SniperHF
    This probably means Expeditions continues for a while but pretty concerned about it long term.

I imagine it's easier to say from the peanut gallery, but there's no way I'd sell my IP like this unless the payout was substantial. Or some sort of icon clad contract that only LA will develop the series so long as they hit their deliverables. Given how Viking did I don't see that being the case.
    History is littered with artists/musicians/writers who lost control of their ideas and ended up way worse for it.

Most of the devs at LA, maybe even all, could surely get jobs elsewhere in the industry with 2 delivered games (and Clandestine...)
    So it's not like they have to keep LA open to eat. I'd have rode the wave either way.

But hey it's not like they sold to one of those companies with a track record of running things into the ground so maybe it works out. Can't remember what that small publisher's name was a few years back who had just an awful reputation. One of them even posted here :lol:

Subsidies. Probably similar to what goes on in Quebec. But maybe those started to dry up as well which created the need for this.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)