Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline This is like that thing Cleve was talking about x 1000

Discussion in 'Golden Era Games' started by Cleveland Mark Blakemore, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:41 PM.

1. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    • incline x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Despair x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    Is there evidence that says this has a negative effect?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    something something settled science

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Sigourn Arcane Village Idiot

Sigourn
    I want Cleve to remove me from his ignored user list.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • No No x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    Even the magnetic north pole is tired of americans and wants to escape to Europe.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    A thin black line about an 1/8th of an inch thick every 12,000 years composed of soot and diamonds created by spontaneous nuclear bursts at high altitudes from solar coronal ejections hitting the unprotected atmosphere. Nothing to worry about, go back to masturbating while you watch hentai.

• Funny x 10
    • Racist x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Isn't it a common knowledge that the poles are going to reverse ?

• Yes Yes x 9
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Nope, but some have to panick over it while others have to assume we caused it.

^ Top  
  9. PhantasmaNL Arcane Patron

PhantasmaNL
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
    In before Western governments decide on a Magnetic Pole Agreement that aims to slow down the Magnetic Pole Movement by 0,0001% in the next 420 years. This will be achieved by a new Magnetic Pole tax.

Scientist who disagree and refuse to join the new Magnetic Pole Cult will be de-platformed and considered outcasts in the scientific community.

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Gregz Arcane

Gregz

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    Squatting is going out of style?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    itz2.jpg

• Funny x 3
    • Despair x 3
    • Rage x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. HarveyBirdman Novice

HarveyBirdman
    If we didn't keep dumping raw carbon into hydrothermal vents and volcanos, this never would have happened.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kruno Savant Shitposter

Kruno
    It is proven that the ship does not sink behind a hill of water, but that it is actually perspective which hides it. This demonstrates that the earth is not a globe. There have been experiments where half-sunken ships have been restored by simply looking at them through telescopes.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    The planet wants North America dead?

• incline incline x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    I am sponsoring new legislation for a cap'n'trade program on volcanic outputs. I know so little about the real world this seems like a good idea to me which could totally work.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    When it comes to visionaries, oft-misunderstood men ahead of their time, Cleve is in the top echelons along with kindred spirits like David Bowie. :salute:

• nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. HarveyBirdman Novice

HarveyBirdman
    Why are people so stupid and mean? We are confronted with only one, morally correct choice: if we create a global economy for carbon credits, then productive, industrial countries and businesses can fund despots ruling 3rd and 2nd world countries by purchasing their carbon credits. It will be a wonderful, green, classless utopia.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    That article headline is such blatant BS. The earth's magnetic field doesn't keep our air and water in place, that does the gravitaion effect which is a fucking DIFFERENT thing entirely.
    Also the fucking pole shifts around constantly, since it is generated by circulating liquid metal inside the earth and the resulting EM field is quite dynamic.
    as of now it shifts like 50km per year in direction of siberia. Which really doesn't mean anything except that the EM field is shifting around. Will it get weaker if the polarity shifts even more and eventually flips? Maybe, maybe not. And the consequences of weaker EM field will harm our technosphere the most, since it won't block solar winds that well anymore.

I enjoy how you guys just put some factors affecting entirely different systems together in a mixe, guzzle down the resulting goo and the vomit out intellectual diarrhea.

PS: Also this has got to be moved to away from rpg discussion.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    It is getting weaker actually and at a much faster rate now:

"Previously, researchers estimated the field was weakening about 5 percent per century, but the new data revealed the field is actually weakening at 5 percent per decade, or 10 times faster than thought. As such, rather than the full flip occurring in about 2,000 years, as was predicted, the new data suggest it could happen sooner."

https://www.iflscience.com/environment/earth-s-magnetic-field-about-flip/

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    You don't even know what you don't know.

If you knew I know that you don't even know what you don't know at least you'd know that I knew so you'd know that.

In many ways, it is like you knew less than nothing at all. Your knowledge of what you do know is into negative digits.

Don't let the fact you're a Dunning-Kruger moron who has no understanding of any of these things at all stop you from pontificating with great confidence on all things. If you knew you didn't know what I know you don't know you'd be informed enough to know to remain silent and leave people with a fraction of a doubt about you.

This has nothing to do with "pole shifts." You and reading comprehension have been estranged since kindergarten. This is actually about something very serious which is completely unrelated to any of that gibberish.

You're right about it "moving around all the time." About every 12,000 years. You don't want to know what soil layers clearly show happens around that time. It's a black line there that any layman, even a complete dumbass like yourself could guess what may have caused it.

All I can say is, we are going to have a round of real Darwinian selection and you'd better hope that black line doesn't represent a worldwide cull of ultra winners like yourself. If you ever wonder how come everybody isn't a true jeenius like yourself, I suspect that black line plays a very important role in helping ultra-winners to win and win big at that time. So keep winning and prepare to start ultra winning sooner than you think.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. coldcrow Prophet Patron

coldcrow
    I know that I don't know. My main gripe with such articles is that they are full of errors and assumptions. I don't know what will happen exactly if the EM field gets weaker, but I resent articles which start with the line and I quote: "Earth’s magnetic field is what allows us to exist. It deflects harmful radiation. It keeps our water and atmosphere in place." Or do you say that this is true?

Edit: And to the effects, the only thing I know is that obv. there would be far less protection against mass ejections from the sun and to a lesser extent cosmic background radiation. I'd wager mutation rates would go up, melanoma and other cancers would become more frequent and in general, life would have it way harder.

I searched around for some links concerning the soil layers, but find only photos or articles about one roughly 12000 years ago.
    Could you provide some further material there?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    ^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Liturgist

rusty_shackleford
    it's settled science you bigot, stop questioning whether the sun revolves around the earth

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Read about the Younger Dryas and the impact hypothesis. Basically, all of North America (and large chunks of the ice shield) burned up due to several large impacts into the ice shield and many smaller ones elsewhere (eg. Carolina Bays). They found a huge impact crater in Greenland just recently that seems to be from that event.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)