Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on "Ocean of Games"?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Dreaad, Feb 19, 2015.

?

Overall is this a good or bad development for games?

1. Holy SHIT! Games!

3.0%
  2. Good.

3.0%
  3. Bad.

9.1%
  4. How are they doing this?

9.1%
  5. This is clearly an elaborate troll trap to catch pirates with a huge net (conspiracy hat).

27.3%
  6. Kingpiratecomrade.

48.5%
  1. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
    http://oceanofgames.com/

Please Note I neither condone or vilify a service like this.

Don't know how many people here pay attention to things like this. How much is anonymous mass cloud storage going to affect pirating? Will the shit hit the fan from websites this blatant? Or is this merely going to be just another slow grating step in the battle between the internet and the law? Or... is this perfectly legal as the owners claim?

At the end of the day, ironically, it's indie/kickstarter games that will suffer most, simply because the size of downloads is a factor. Justifying 20gb for a game you may not like is a lot harder than picking up 20 smaller titles after all. Perhaps the future of gaming will be simply have to be people paying a developer/publisher directly before they make a game, to make sure profit is definite?

No doubt similar discussions exist somewhere on the codex, to me this just feels like a whole new wave of... something...

^ Top  
  2. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    So it's just a big pirate site? And I love how the guy asks for donations.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    Smells like a honey pot.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    As far as I can tell the way they legitimize their actions is by waiting for someone to directly ask them to bring something down, which they then immediately do. Only to upload it from a different source in a short while. Essentially treating software like youtube treats videos, not sure the same rules apply but they seem to be going for it. And have been active for a almost a year, so if it is a honey pot, it's a very patient, well crafted one.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    I don't really buy that. The biggest gap between indies and publishers is publicity. Even assuming nobody who torrents a game ever buys it (which is bullshit, I've bought plenty this way, including KotC and Terraria, and it doesn't get much more indie than that) indie devs would still derive more of a benefit from having people who torrent the games talk about them (which I also do, a lot) unless all they have to say is that the game is shit, in which case... good?

More word of mouth advertising for games in general is pretty much the best thing that can happen for gaming as far as I'm concerned. Piracy furthers that. It promotes more money going into the hands of the people who most deserve a slice. I'd have never had the money to buy KotC if I'd spent it on say, Borderlands 2. And I sure as fuck wouldn't have bought it without trying it out first.

As for whether or not it's legal... I don't really think laws that can't be enforced are relevant. It's illegal to jaywalk too. Lock me up and throw away the key, I'm guilty of hundreds of counts.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    It's...a regular warez site? I'm not sure what's the big deal.

^ Top  
  7. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    It's free (account or monetary wise). Not loaded with fake links, advertising, pop up viruses. Has very fast response time support team to deal with any issues. Has fan pages hosted on all the usual suspect social media sites... has been active for over a year with no legal attacks.

Maybe I'm just not that familiar with good service warez sites? I only know about shit like VODlocker and other cesspools of broken links, subscription bait or endless links from site to site like some demented virus driven merry-go-round. Is there really that many stable warez sites out there?

^ Top  
  8. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Okay, it's a high quality warez site, not a regular one. :M

Eh, you just have to pay attention to what you're clicking on. (hint: if you're asked if you want to download "GAME.EXE", is probably the wrong link). There are millions of those sites but torrents are much more convenient so they probably won't last long.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Yeah, it's not like there aren't many warez sites with direct download links. If you really want to pirate a new game you can easily find it in a gazillion of ways. Meh. What I would have wanted is a site with old, hard to find, games.

Show Spoiler
    Underground gamer :negative:

^ Top  
  10. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    But there are plenty of those.
    http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/ is still alive and
    http://www.myabandonware.com/ has a decent library of abandonedware too.

But maybe I didn't catch your meaning, which happens a lot with me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Man, that's not coming back, is it?

^ Top  
  12. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    Hold on, doesn't this site's rules say that linking to such websites isn't allowed?

As far as my views on piracy, copyright, intellectual property and the like goes? That's for another place, let's just say that I don't like how the current laws are too stilted towards rich corporations with huge legal teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    Legally I believe direct downloads have a lot of advantages over a torrents for the user. You can't get done for any kind of distribution if you don't upload, and private organisations have a vastly more difficult time monitoring who is downloading the content without being able to sit connected to the torrent.

It would seem more risky for the host though.

^ Top  
  14. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    I love the genres ascribed to certain games. Icewind Dale was labeled an "Action", "Arcade" game. Gothic and Risen were under "Fighting" games. And then a whole bunch of games that never had PC ports were labeled/described as PC games. No, God of War and Devil May Cry 2 are not PC games.

I wonder if the chronic mislabeling is part of some shrewd plan to avoid legal repercussions, exploiting some arcane loophole in the hyperlexical world of copyright.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. potatojohn Arcane

potatojohn
    I tried to download 3 games and they were all "removed" despite being on the main site.

Together with the retarded english and nonsense text I'm pretty sure that site doesn't host anything except browser exploits to make you join their bitcoin botnet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Pirate site with relatively few followers that very few people have heard of before?

Give it a month to explode to the big time and then be taken down.

Also going by the comments, it looks like you need their "special downloader" or something to download and install stuff. A lot of questions about "how do I install this".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Havoc Cheerful Magician Patron

Havoc
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    These kind of sites existed long since the beginning of online pirating. I got my hentai games from such places. :smug:

^ Top  
  18. Garryydde Arcane Patron Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual

Garryydde
    I don't want the local authorities raiding my house and finding my rape dungeon. No thanks.

^ Top  
  19. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    ^ Top  
  20. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    It's actually dying :lol: On the other hand, it's been dying for many years, yet it's still functional.

^ Top  
  21. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    :negative:

Just gib me a torrent of all HOTU games with a decent # of seeds already...

^ Top  
  22. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    I got you covered. Check your inbox.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ranselknulf Arcane Patron

Ranselknulf
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Sites like that are generally ignored until they get more popular.

and I can here to talk about ocean games. Am disappoint.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    I know about those. Thing is that there's really nothing like UG. Aside from the usual stuff, that site had games that can't be found anywhere else today, or at least it's extremely hard to find them. And also specific rare versions. It really was a gaming history preservation museum.

^ Top  
  25. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    And if I remember correctly GOG is guilty of it shutting down. :outrage:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)