Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on "Ocean of Games"?

Overall is this a good or bad development for games?

• Total voters

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
And if I remember correctly GOG is guilty of it shutting down. :outrage:

Was it ever revealed? I know some people here claimed that it was GOG but I never saw any proof of that—the same kind of tripe like GOG strong-armed some abandonware sites into removing some of their titles while it is clear it was their own decision, or that GOG stole DOSBox despite the team showing their support for the site. Then some people started to throw accusations at big companies like EA or Activision. Not saying it’s impossible but I’d like to see proof, because right now we have the time-honoured practice of telling a lie so many times it becomes true.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Also as far as I know, GOG doesn't have publishing rights on games, just distribution rights, so I doubt they would be able to shut down websites illegally providing games from their collection. As far as I know, the owner of the games only has the right to issue DMCAs, file lawsuits over their copyrights, trademarks, or patents, and request support from the law. Although anyone can complain about outright violations of copyrights, trademarks and patents, issuing notices or filing lawsuits depends on the owners and it's ultimately the decision of the highest court approached to let people besides the owner use their property or anything related to it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Was it ever revealed? I know some people here claimed that it was GOG but I never saw any proof of that—the same kind of tripe like GOG strong-armed some abandonware sites into removing some of their titles while it is clear it was their own decision, or that GOG stole DOSBox despite the team showing their support for the site. Then some people started to throw accusations at big companies like EA or Activision. Not saying it’s impossible but I’d like to see proof, because right now we have the time-honoured practice of telling a lie so many times it becomes true.

Not true. I know the guy who made DOSBox and the lady who runs HotU.

A much bigger reason is this: https://www.patreon.com/hotu

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Sad that they don't even get 100$ a month.

People rip on patreon, but it's a good concept in and of itself. It's a much better model for supporting a website than ad revenue. It's not really any different than the codex donations.

Obviously this only apples for things that actually require support, like a large website with overhead to run, or a webcomic with significant work put into the updates, etc. A twitter account isn't something that requires money to keep running. You could make an argument for a blog, depending on how much effort was put into the content and how much traffic it got.

Yep, it's a great concept. But like Ulminati said, faggots turned it into a welfare check. Kickstarter is going that way, too. Oh man, finally a way to get rid of those pesky publishers...what's that? They ran away with the money? Oh...oh.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well it's not like publishers/corporations didn't do that before anyways. I'd wager on the whole, a smaller fraction of kickstarter is scams than traditional models. For every dollar something like Feminist Frequency makes, something like Q-RAY IONIZED BRACELETS earns 5 or 10. At least we can rip on people scamming patreon money directly, I have no idea who to hate for those stuoid magic bracelets.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
But there are plenty of those.
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/ is still alive and
http://www.myabandonware.com/ has a decent library of abandonedware too.

But maybe I didn't catch your meaning, which happens a lot with me.
I know about those. Thing is that there's really nothing like UG. Aside from the usual stuff, that site had games that can't be found anywhere else today, or at least it's extremely hard to find them. And also specific rare versions. It really was a gaming history preservation museum.
theisozone

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Pirate site with relatively few followers that very few people have heard of before?

Give it a month to explode to the big time and then be taken down.

Also going by the comments, it looks like you need their "special downloader" or something to download and install stuff. A lot of questions about "how do I install this".
Yeah I read some of those comments as well. Personally I suspect 2 main causes:

1.) People are idiots who don't know how to use rar files and iso's. It's incredible how many of these specific variety of people can be found anywhere if illegal online activities are going down.
2.) The original upload source is probably random i.e. downloads with passwords long forgotten from some obscure forum or simply ripped from other similar sites and thus come with custom malware :lol:. It just comes down to "you never know what you're going to get", especially if you try to find games released recently.

Kinda curious to try it as an experiment, I did. Both the Gothic 1 and M&M 7 worked fine. Forgot how awesome Gothic 1's installation music is.

rezaf

Cipher
Not true. I know the guy who made DOSBox and the lady who runs HotU.

A much bigger reason is this: https://www.patreon.com/hotu

If you're referring to Sarinee Achavanuntakul (a.k.a. Underdogs), she's no longer running the site, and hasn't been since 2005. The site was on hiatus for years and then disappeared completely. Somewhat later, UD offered a DB dump off the original site, and two "successor sites" surfaced, hotud.org and homeoftheunderdogs.net.
Neither was ever a true revival though, both more of a fancier archive.org approach. Neither webmaster ever put much effort into their sites. Some/most of the downloads worked, for a while. Hotud.org allowed adding new entries for a while, but there was basically no policing and it was a user-effort rather than one of the site owner. Eventually, the hotud.org site owner asked himself why he was shouldering the bills on this crappy site he so obviously not really cared about, so he took down the downloads. The site itself is still partially running, but the gig's over.
homeoftheunderdogs.net never even added new entries, and as far as I can tell, there are no downloads whatsoever these days, and no real effort is being put into providing links for those that can still be purchased (or again, like on GOG).
Why should anyone donate money for such a weaksauce approach?

If Notch were really the patron of gaming some people like to paint him, he could put a server in the basement of his multi-million dollar home and hire some nerd to run a game preservation site ala HOTU as his day job. Notch could fund it until the sun goes supernova from a tiny fraction of the interest he gets from the Microsoft money...
_____
rezaf

Norfleet

Also going by the comments, it looks like you need their "special downloader" or something to download and install stuff. A lot of questions about "how do I install this".
That's a pretty sure sign that it's a malware site. There are always a bunch of those shady sites that pretend they're distributing games, but if you try to download anything, you find you're either trapped in an endless loop of spam ads, or that they want you to install their spyware, after which you are trapped in an endless loop of spam ads. And there are no games. It's a fake.

Norfleet

You just need to acquire yourself a VPN, which you can pay for by gold-farming.

Norfleet

Wasn't mine, either. I started out just hoarding the stuff because I LIKE MONEY. When it abruptly became useless to me, it occurred to me that I had nothing to lose by liquidating it all. So learn.

Destroid

Arcane

Dosbox is GPL so you can't really steal it, at least not in the way GOG is using it.

Erlend

Barely Literate
hey i just made this account to warn you guys dont use oceanofgames they have some legit uploads but they spice theyre downloads by putting trojans and bitcoin miners in some of the uploads, also they sometimes use a modefide version of sub7

Erlend

Barely Literate
its clear the person behind that is very fucking good and made it look very legit and the guy is patient to quote someone on another site "We contacted the site owner and let him/her know what was going on. No response. There was a Bitcoin Mining code that injected itself that we tested on one of our non protected VPS. It ate up about 60% of the comps resources at 5:30am then slowed down on initial mouse movement. If we didn't touch the keyboard or mouse it would slowly eat more resources. So yeah someone is making money off time based mining."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom