Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News THQ Nordic has acquired the Expeditions franchise, third game confirmed

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Expeditions: Viking; Logic Artists; THQ Nordic

The consolidation of the RPG industry continues! IP-gobbling publisher THQ Nordic announced today that they'd acquired Logic Artist's Expeditions franchise. They'll be publishing the next game in the series, to be revealed "in due time". Here's their brief press release:

Karlstad/SWEDEN, Vienna/AUSTRIA, Copenhagen/DENMARK, November 15, 2018: THQ Nordic today announced that the acquisition of the intellectual property “Expeditions:...” has been finalized with Logic Artists, based in Copenhagen, Denmark. The deal comprises of “Expeditions: Conquistador” and “Expeditions: Viking” and its respective DLCs. Furthermore, Logic Artists and THQ Nordic have agreed to start development of a third game within the “Expeditions:”-Universe. More information will be announced in due time.

The acquisition itself is being handled by THQ Nordic AB, based in Karlstad, Sweden, and daily operations (sales and distribution, evaluation of sequels & new content etc.) will be done via THQ Nordic GmbH in Vienna, Austria.​

Expeditions: Viking was criminally underrated, so I'm happy Logic Artists will have another shot at making their mark. The studio itself appears to be remaining independent.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • incline incline x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    With virtually any other publisher I'd be terrified, but this seems like it could go well. Wonder where they'll go and who they'll make the main character with the sequel though. I remember Portugese conquistadors being one of the original sequel ideas for back when it was only one game.

edit: What about Clandestine?

^ Top  
  3. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    That's some good news, can't wait to see what they do next

My wish list:
    • Crusades
    • East India Company
    • something something China

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  4. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Third game confirms is the super good news. D1P.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Expeditions: Bandeirante?
    Expeditions: Descobridor?

Man, I need to boot up the Expeditions games. I got Conquistador but I never had the time to play it, so far

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  7. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Expeditions: Arctic

[​IMG]

• Brofist x 6
    • nice x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Expeditions: Deadwood?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Still ours.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Iluvcheezcake Learned

Iluvcheezcake
    Good to hear abour the third game. Had a blast with botg conq and vikigs. D1 purchase

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. HoboForEternity Arcane Patron

HoboForEternity
    Expeditions: VOC.
    You are one of the rising member of the dutch east india company, tasked to manage spice trade in the dutch east indies, after your country suffer great losses from previous wars that devastated your country's economy. Set sail in the archielago, curry favor to high ranking east indies government, negotiate/decimate/deal with rivaling colonies such as british, Portuguese and native malays.

The main expeditions gimmick is this time you have a "quota" every month or whatever, to send goods like spices to government official, and the expeditions is basically how you would procure precious goods. You have to explore, trade, fight, persuade to get your goods.

It can be a mix of storm of zehir trade mechanics, and a little base building for your assigned plantation, lots of choice to reach the quota goal, for example, building a working farm that produce alot of spices, or trade, explore, deal with native kingdoms, foreign merchants, etc.

• Brofist x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    Great to hear there will be a third Expeditions game, but kinda sad that the series didn't generate enough profits for Logic Artists to keep the IP in house.

^ Top  
  13. HoboForEternity Arcane Patron

HoboForEternity
    But i am really excited what they can make with non potato dinner budget they will hopefully have.

If they can make games as good as conq and viking with potato chip dinners, with real studio shit they holefully can make masterpieces.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Expedition: Brazil

You lead a group of white middle class americans on an expedition to lose weight and not be eaten by giant anacondas and Pirates on the Amazon florest while you try to reach civilization on the capital city of Buenos Aires.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Viata Arcane

Viata
    This! They could easily include Frankenstein's monster as a sidequest. :incline:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    It's a shame that Logic Artists lost their property, but at least the Expeditions series is still alive.

Now please do something closer to Conquistador, Viking was good but it felt a little too generic.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Expedition: Mongols?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 3
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    You have my sword, Logic Artists.

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. HoboForEternity Arcane Patron

HoboForEternity
    what is the nature of this contract? do logic artists will always be hired to make expeditions games? or is it free for THQN to use, for example assigning another dev to work on expeditions?

^ Top  
  20. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Sorry to hear they had to sell the brand. But I hope they are fnancially stable now for the 3rd game and have the benefit of getting decent marketing for it.
    My wish would be Expeditions: Rome

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I want Expeditions: Heart of Darkness.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Life of the Party Magister

Life of the Party
    Expeditions: Arimaspea

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Tramboi Cipher

Tramboi
    Expeditions : The Lost World would be great, we need more pulp
    India and China would be great too

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. UnknownBro Savant

UnknownBro
    Expeditions: DLC

^ Top  
  25. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Expeditions: Louisiana Purchase

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)