Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News THQ Nordic's Gothic remake is getting made

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Gothic (THQ Nordic Remake); THQ Nordic

Even though all the grognards on the Codex and elsewhere seem to have hated it, THQ Nordic announced today that feedback on their Gothic remake playable teaser has been "unambiguously" positive. The game will therefore be going into full production at the new THQ Nordic Barcelona studio. Players who responded to the survey did however say that the remake needs to be grittier and less colorful. Here's the announcement on THQ Nordic's website:

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, February 19th, 2020: Just a little over two months after releasing a playable teaser for the Gothic Remake and asking the players for their feedback, the answer is clear: The fans are up for a new "old" Gothic game and the vast majority (read: 94,8%) was in favour to develop a remake of the iconic German RPG Gothic, originally released in 2001.

Over 180.000 players have played the playable teaser so far. On the evening (CET) of February 16 2020, THQ Nordic took the survey offline, and hereby publicly releases the raw data of the survey, as well as highlight graphs. With more than 43.000 answered surveys and over 9.000 (yes, really!) reviews on Steam and various discussions on all social media platforms, there is enough data to check.

Eager to check for yourself? As we want to start a transparent and open production with the community from the very start of the project, we are happy to offer you the results of our survey in a neat PDF file or - for the people who really want to dig into the raw data - the entire dataset with all 43.111 participants included.

Download the PDF: http://n.thq.com/sQC130qiBae
Download the raw data (.csv and .xlsx in a zip): http://n.thq.com/vIF030qippZ

Next Steps for the Gothic Remake

THQ Nordic will establish a new studio based in Barcelona, Spain, and will then assess what players liked and what they want to be different than in the playable teaser. One of the most common mentions was for example the demand for a grittier and less colourful world.

"We are up for the challenge to develop a full Gothic Remake which will stay as faithfully as possible to the original experience and transport the atmospheric world of Gothic into a high quality look and carefully modernizing certain gameplay mechanics." says Reinhard Pollice Business and Product Development Director at THQ Nordic.

The full Gothic Remake will go into production and will be developed for PC and next gen consoles. There is no release window available yet, but it will not be coming in 2020.

You want to learn more about the Gothic Playable Teaser? Check the official website: https://www.gothic-game.com/
Nice of them to make the raw survey data available. Read it and weep!

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if they'll also include strong female characters this time. And more ethnic diversity.
Like a black Xardas or whatever.

07c8a-barbarianqueen.jpg

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Could be worse.
Maybe we get something interesting because we never get Gothic.

passerby

Arcane
One of the most common mentions was for example the demand for a grittier and less colourful world.

Basically, when technically illiterate people were complaining about "too colorful", they've most likely meant the close blue fog and postprocessing on the overdrive, not the actual world graphics.

It already looked like an xbox360 game and now they'll make it even more brown ?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Nice of them to make the raw survey data available. Read it and weep!

The facts are all in the presentation, it's not really necessary to read the raw data. They should have published the individual feedback.

grimace

Arcane
I wonder if they'll also include strong female characters this time. And more ethnic diversity.

07c8a-barbarianqueen.jpg

Here's an idea.

Make a 90 minute sword and sorcery film based in the Gothic universe with the new art assets the studio showed us in the video.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

07c8a-barbarianqueen.jpg

Here's an idea.

Make a 90 minute sword and sorcery film based in the Gothic universe with the new art assets the studio showed us in the video.
Honestly, I'd say that even this 1985 fem-power film manages to be more faithful to the original Gothic aesthetic and setting than this 2020 shit remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom