Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - Gwent expansion turns into standalone RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://thewitcher.com/en/thronebreaker-witchertales

https://af.gog.com/game/thronebreaker_the_witcher_tales?as=1649904300

Quietly revealed in a financial results conference today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/9axcb2/thronebreaker_info_from_cdpr_stream_today/

Thronebreaker info from CDPR Stream today

Some notes I took during the CDPR financial stream today:
  • Thronebreaker will be an RPG, not a card game
  • It will be standalone, users will not need to download Gwent to play it | Clip
  • In-game actions will be decided by the outcome of Gwent games | Clip
  • 30+ hours of gameplay | Clip
  • It will be launched in parallel to Gwent and will only be available on the same platforms, no additional platforms
I'm not sure much of this is new information. I'll update if there's anything more.

EDIT #1: Clip here
  • Gwent and Cyberpunk are developed by totally separate teams
  • Marketing is fitting around the development process, not the other way around
EDIT #2:
EDIT #3:
  • Just generally, they really wanted to talk Cyberpunk, not Gwent or Thronebreaker and encouraged people not to ask about them after they'd given this information because that's all the information they want to give, and they want to focus on Cyberpunk
EDIT #4:
  • Production is going well: "If we weren't certain of the production of this game then we wouldn't mention it in this presentation"
EDIT #5:
  • Someone asked about using Gwent currency to make in-game purchases in Thronebreaker, but they reaffirmed that they will be separate programs
  • Thronebreaker is aimed at two groups: Gwent players and Witcher fans (who may not have played Gwent yet because it's not as connected to Witcher lore as Thronebreaker will be)
EDIT #6:
  • Gwent accounts WILL BE connected to Thronebreaker accounts if you have one, but you don't need a Gwent account to play Thronebreaker
EDIT #7: Stream is over but I'm going back and updating some of these points with clips so you can see/hear for yourselves :)

Last year's Thronebreaker teaser:

Last edited by a moderator:

ColCol

Arcane
Single player card games are one of my favorite niche genres. So I am excited for this project. Hope it compare favorably to the pokemone card video game and the first magic video game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Totally expected it to happen. If what they were saying about Thronebreaker is true it grew well beyond a mere card game expansion.

Jokzore

Arbiter
So does this mean Thronebreaker is no longer free? And if it is, how do they plan to make money off it?

Cadmus

Arcane
I hope the fights are not like the fucking puzzles in the Gwent special events but proper matches.
Btw it will be delayed at least 3 times and then patched up over the period of 2 years, so don't hold your breath.

Tiospo

Learned
The trailer does make me interested. I like revenge stories, and bad-ass women are also very cool. Want to see more.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
October 23rd, exclusively on GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/thronebreaker_the_witcher_tales?as=1649904300

https://en.cdprojektred.com/news/a-new-adventure-set-in-the-world-of-the-witcher-awaits/

A new adventure set in the world of The Witcher awaits!

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales will release on PC via GOG.com on October 23rd, with a console release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 set for December 4th!

Thronebreaker is a single player role-playing game set in the world of The Witcher that combines narrative-driven exploration with unique puzzles and card battle mechanics. The game spins a truly regal tale of Meve, a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms — Lyria and Rivia. Facing an imminent Nilfgaardian invasion, Meve is forced to once again enter the warpath, and set out on a dark journey of destruction and revenge.

Throughout the adventure, players will explore new and never-before-seen parts of The Witcher world, embark on thought-provoking quests featuring rich, multidimensional characters. All while gathering resources to expand their army and engaging in epic story battles powered by the skill-based battle system known from GWENT: The Witcher Card Game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
0dcdaaf687c3e7b8f2a14ac869d274be09709a21651214912620a3bbb33663f7.jpg
22b249ef404a4800001aedc58d63d7e23d337416ee930dd66061e248623c46bb.jpg
02c383d6506a2a5a36712e32d250e20db87d4b1dcc322e3f4060ca4183b9532a.jpg
1202bfbad965a324235ab1a527cc080a07b39ff77846955e96adfe9dcf64901b.jpg
226c6cb8a99fcfee81ccefdd1d482bad6ba08e3d06d94f846cc58da34c61b9d8.jpg

No trailer? Strangely low key reveal.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Meve is one of the cooler characters in the short stories... is this something like the Microprose Shandalar game? Because that was awesome.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://af.gog.com/game/thronebreaker_the_witcher_tales?as=1649904300

The Witcher World is Back!

Thronebreaker is a single player role-playing game set in the world of The Witcher that combines narrative-driven exploration with unique puzzles and card battle mechanics.

Crafted by the developers responsible for some of the most iconic moments in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the game spins a truly regal tale of Meve, a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms — Lyria and Rivia. Facing an imminent Nilfgaardian invasion, Meve is forced to once again enter the warpath, and set out on a dark journey of destruction and revenge.

Main Features:

• Experience an all new 30-hour Witcher Tale with 20 possible world end-states.
  • Embark on over 75 thought-provoking side quests — one of the hallmarks of The Witcher series.
  • Explore never-before-seen parts of The Witcher world — Lyria, Rivia, Aedirn, Mahakam and Angren.
  • Manage resources, recruit and develop units in your very own customizable war camp.
  • Build an army and engage in story battles, which twist the game’s rules in wildly unexpected ways.
Additional Features:
  • Thronebreaker features over 250 single player tailored cards, as well as 20 brand new cards for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game.
  • Each card represents an entity in the game — characters players interact with during open world exploration can become on-hand assets, deployable during battle.
  • During each playthrough, players make choices and face their consequences — acting against an ally’s convictions might cause their card to disappear from the deck.
  • Mastering the campaign allows unlocking premium animated versions of cards, additional multiplayer avatars, borders, and titles.
  • Fully voice-overed dialogues, localized into 11 languages.
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales comes with these bonus items:
  • Concept art, including the map of Lyria
  • Digital version of GWENT: Art of The Witcher Card Game artbook from Dark Horse. Please note that it contains the cards' original designs, so they differ from their current in-game counterparts
  • The Witcher graphic novel "Fox Children" by Dark Horse
  • 2 in-game GWENT: The Witcher Card Game Player Titles
  • 2 in-game GWENT: The Witcher Card Game Player Avatars
  • 5 premium kegs for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game
  • Official Thronebreaker Soundtrack
How about more GWENT extras?
Unlock 20 cards (standard versions) for use in GWENT: The Witcher Card Game and search for their exclusive premium versions during your travels in Thronebreaker.
Note: Standard versions of the 20 cards can also be crafted directly in GWENT: The Witcher Card Game.

All the aforementioned goodies — including the GWENT in-game items — will unlock upon Thronebreaker's release. If you already have a GWENT account, please make sure to use the same credentials for this purchase so that these items get added to your GWENT profile automatically.

Screenshots:

Looks like simple isometric RPG with card battles.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Not sure if excited or not. :? I haven't really touched standalone Gwent. Have played about 15 practice matches, and not a single online match.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Is this the secret RPG they mentioned a while ago? Must be. Kinda meh for the price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom