Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Thus Spoke Leonard Boyarsky

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Vault Dweller, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> posted <a href=http://www.vampirebloodlines.com>Bloodlines</a>' designer diary #3. So go ahead and click on this <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6085643.html>link</a> to see what <b>Leonard Boyarsky</b> has to say
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote>You might ask, "Why a first-person RPG?" Well, after seeing Valve's Source engine in action, we felt there was no better way to really immerse players in the experience than to make it a first-person game. Not to mention that a lot of us here were big fans of Ultima Underworld, and this seemed like a chance to revisit the roots of today's RPGs.
    <br>
    <br>
    Lastly, we've had to incorporate all those things that players need to be able to do in a role-playing game that aren't always standard in a first-person shooter, such as sneaking, a complex dialogue system, and, in our case, the whole system of vampire disciplines--the special powers that players will derive by joining one of many powerful vampire clans--available for them to use.</blockquote>
    <br>
    I really like that line about “the roots of today’s RPGs” Very smooth.
    <br>
    <br>
    Spotted at <a href=http://www.homelanfed.com>HomeLan</a>
    <br>

^ Top  
  2. chrisbeddoes Erudite

chrisbeddoes
  3. Transcendent One Liturgist

Transcendent One
    Looks like it could be the best Troika game yet.

As long as they keep the FPSesque combat to a reasonable level (as in controls not too difficult or... twitchy and an option to avoid preferably all of it).

^ Top  
  4. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    I'll stick with Arcanum. :cool:

^ Top  
  5. triCritical Erudite

triCritical
    I am not sold on this title yet.

BTW, FP? WTF? Does this mean there will not be a 3rd person mode a la Morrowind. This would really irk me because I can't stand looking through my chest and staring at my l33t BAZ000KA all the time.

^ Top  
  6. undead dolphin hacker Liturgist

undead dolphin hacker
    I'm not sold either. Wake me when they remake Underworld. :wink:

^ Top  
  7. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    There is still not enough info to draw any conclusion. It could go either way, but if they manage to do a solid dialogue system and throw in some choices here and there, I'd be happy. As far as FP goes, it's just a matter of taste. Looking at the gun could be as annoying as picking over your 3rd person shoulder. Feels like you are hiding behind your own back :)

Ask yourself this question: If you can't trust Troika, whom can you trust? :wink:

^ Top  
  8. EEVIAC Erudite

EEVIAC
    I'm curious - now that ToEE is done, can all the Troika principals work on this until its done? Otherwise I'll remain hopefull, but unconvinced. I seriously think they need it.

^ Top  
  9. Lemon Arcane

Lemon
    The level/art team from ToEE was probably shifted over while the coders start on the Gamma World or Wastland title.

^ Top  
  10. Sarkile Augur

Sarkile
    Actually there is a 3rd person view in Bloodlines. I believe it's like Morrowind's third person view.

^ Top  
  11. triCritical Erudite

triCritical
    That is great news, I hated playing MW in FP. I knew they had a 3rd person view in the beginning, i just know how things get removed to speed things along. Anybody know, when this title is supposed to be released?

^ Top  
  12. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    I hated playing Morrowind period.

*rimshot*

As for Vampire's release date, that's a good question. GameSpot lists it at 6/14/2004, but I'm not sure of that. I don't think Valve would let Vampire come out before Half Life 2, and we all know how long Half Life 2 is going to take. I'm afraid that Vampire is going to get ganked by Half Life 2.

^ Top  
  13. Ausir Arcane

Ausir
    The new Troika game (the presumably post-apoc one) is neither Gamma World (which Tim Cain dislikes, as he has stated many times) nor Wasteland (which is being made by InXile).

I hope it's actually something original...

^ Top  
  14. Diogo Ribeiro Erudite

Diogo Ribeiro
    I wished it was Shadowrun, instead of a post-apoc setting.

^ Top  
  15. Ausir Arcane

Ausir
  16. Otaku_Hanzo Erudite

Otaku_Hanzo
    Yeah, I would love to see a revival of the cyberpunk RPG.

^ Top  
  17. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Why? Gameplay or the FPS thingy or both?

^ Top  
  18. Otaku_Hanzo Erudite

Otaku_Hanzo
    The combat in Morrowind sucked ass, that's why. :P

^ Top  
  19. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    There were way too many things in MW that sucked ass, combat being numero uno following by the dumbed down char system, dialogues, guilds, etc. We had a good thread about it as I recall http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 23&start=0

Anyway, while I didn't like the game and never tried the expansions, I never had a problem with it being FP. It was very immersive, boring, but immersive. :) So if Troika does a good job with char development, dialogues, and choices, it's going to be a blast. Of course, I'd prefer an original sci-fi isometric game "Arcanum meets ToEE" style, but...

^ Top  
  20. Otaku_Hanzo Erudite

Otaku_Hanzo
    Oh, I had no problems with it being FP either. I rather enjoyed walking through some of the environments, especially the snow laden forests in Bloodmoon. Nice stuff. Then again, I still think Daggerfall rocks, so it just goes to show I'm easily entertained. :P

I'm definitely gonna keep an open mind about the Vampire game, but only because Troika's doing it. I'm not a big fan of the Masquerade setting period, but I will definitely give this game a try. After all, I gave that dog of a game Redemption a go, so I owe it to Troika to give this one a gander as well.

^ Top  
  21. EEVIAC Erudite

EEVIAC
    The dialogue system killed MW for me. It was just so uninteresting that I never really found out much about the world, its people, or what I was meant to do. As important as combat is in an RPG (unfortunately) a good dialogue system is definately a close second. Not just for diplomatic solutions either. If I'm going to be forced to violence, at least give me suitably nasty dialogue options before I do it.

^ Top  
  22. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It goes to show that you recognize a good game when you see one, citizen Otaku :)

I think they are equally important. Unfortunately in MW both sucked. There was no reason to strike a conversation and there was no reason to seek fights, it was boring, your combat skills were maxed already, and you had piles of loot all over [insert your place of residence]. If they designed some expert skills Wiz-style (power cast, eagle eye, etc) then you could at least develop something and it wouldn't be so boring.

^ Top  
  23. mr. lamat Liturgist

mr. lamat
    :cool:

gotta love the built-in munchkinproofing that cyberpsychosis provides.

^ Top  
  24. Voss Erudite

Voss
    Except, in shadowrun it was quickly countered by being able to spend gobs of cash of alpha/beta ware, so you could pare your essence down to 0.0001 and still be fine.
    And then add Biomods on top of that.

On the otherside, you had the Troll magicians with the endurance (or whatever) really cranked so they could avoid falling unconscious at the merest hint of a spell.
    Assuming, of course, they weren't already pasted by someone with reflexes jacked to the max, since all you really needed was reflexes 3, and a bunch of points shoved into firearms and specialities in your hand-cannon of choice.

Shadowrun had some severe problems with munchkinism. And just plain broken rules.

^ Top  
  25. mr. lamat Liturgist

mr. lamat
    cyberpunk, not shadowrun... elves and ogres and dwarves should never, ever, ever be allowed in the same books as the ninja assault rifle and trauma team.

shadowrun can lick brahmin nuts with rash.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)