Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain Interview at RPGamer

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity; Tim Cain

Tim Cain has been interviewed at RPGamer, and while the interview is short it offers what I believe is new info about Project Eternity's design. Tim also explains why the things promised as stretch goals cost more money (answer: because you have to hire more people!). Have a snippet:

You state Project Eternity will have "the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur's Gate, the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment." I know fans that love Planescape, but have no love for Icewind Dale. Since it's impossible to please everyone, how do you plan on blending those aspects?

Tim Cain: The game is going to support multiple paths, meaning the player can choose how he or she wants to play the game. If you don't enjoy combat, you can avoid much of it, and have companions that help speed combat encounters that you can't avoid. You can choose to play solo if you don't want any companions, you can choose how to treat other people in dialogs, and you can involve yourself deeply or shallowly in the storyline, since we will have lots of side quests.

Multiple paths also means the game will have a lot of replayability. You can pick different classes and races and companions and side quests, and you will experience a different game.

Having stated that players can tackle the game without companions, how do you balance a game where you can play solo or have six party members?

TC: You can have six companions, but you will not always be using the same six, as there are mechanics that will encourage you to swap out companions over time. Not all of these companions will be combat-focused, and as I said earlier, not all combat encounters have to be fought. If the player is solo and cannot handle an encounter, he should look for another way to handle it. Companions give you options, but they won't necessarily make the game easier.

Previous games you worked on featured changes in how the PC interacted with the setting based on which skills the PC specialized in. Later Black Isle games abandoned this. Will you bring this back for Project Eternity?

TC: Yes, I liked that the player could choose his own way through the setting based on how the character was specialized. This is one reason we are paying close attention to the design of the non-combat abilities. They cannot be an afterthought because they will change how the player moves through the story.

For your stretch goals, you have additional party members, races, factions, etc. How did you decide what would be in the base game and what would be added as you reached goals?

TC: We made a schedule with as much content as we could create for the base funding level, and from that we added additional classes, race, companions and other content. For each feature, we figured out how long it would take to add it and planned for the additional funding to cover that feature's development by a new designer, artist, programmer or musician.

Obsidian has been hit hard in the past by having games released before they seemed as polished as they needed to be technically. How does having crowd-funding over publisher-funding change the way you'll plan to tackle QA down the line?

TC: The biggest change is that we will decide on each and every feature in the game, and we can avoid the ones that add little to the game's content but a lot to its complexity. For example, we are not supporting consoles or multiplayer, both of which make the game far more complex and hard to debug. Instead, we are focusing on making the best single-player PC RPG we can make, and that focus is simplifying a lot of our choices.​

For the full interview, go here.

Dorateen

Arcane
A decent interview. He seems at times to only scratch the surface of what might be possible. It's still early, and what this game will look like in 2014, might be very different from what others are expecting.

I like the part about multiple paths for how the player approaches the game. Not so much the literal application such as choosing to avoid combat, but the design philosophy in giving more control to the Player, rather than being forced along a developer's vision.

Harumph!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
we are focusing on making the best single-player PC RPG we can make, and that focus is simplifying a lot of our choices.

YOU GO GIRLFRIEND! *SNAP*

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is weird to see that he blames multiplayer as a cause for bugginess of previous Obisidian games. KoTOR 2, Alpha Protocol and New Vegas had no multiplayer at all. Dungeon Siege 3, which had MP, was the most polished Obsidian title.

He must mean NWN2 alone, but I somehow doubt that multiplayer was to blame for all the problems of that game, especially as it was already part of the engine. It was also a PC-exclusive, so You can't blame consolization either.

JoKa

Cipher
It is weird to see that he blames multiplayer as a cause for bugginess of previous Obisidian games. KoTOR 2, Alpha Protocol and New Vegas had no multiplayer at all. Dungeon Siege 3, which had MP, was the most polished Obsidian title.

He must mean NWN2 alone, but I somehow doubt that multiplayer was to blame for all the problems of that game, especially as it was already part of the engine. It was also a PC-exclusive, so You can't blame consolization either.

I think he mainly means Arcanum...don't forget that TC is relatively new to Obsidian and MP was a really big problem with Arc, iirc.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
we are focusing on making the best single-player PC RPG we can make, and that focus is simplifying a lot of our choices.

YOU GO GIRLFRIEND! *SNAP*
:balance:approved.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

If you read what he actually says, he doesn't state anywhere that those examples he provided were necessarily the cause of failure of the previous titles released. Just examples, not necessarily related to any Obsidian production at all.

The real examples would be juicy to hear, but I guess those will be taken to the grave.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They did rewrite the engine to make an attempted 360 port which is responsible for some of the mess. :M

Cynic

Arcane
Sorry bit unrelated but the Avellone interview on Forbes mentioned that they are actually going to use Unity together with Onyx, I guess for the RPG stuff. Haven't read anyone mention that here yet but I may just have missed it. If so please remove me from your brolist.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Previous games you worked on featured changes in how the PC interacted with the setting based on which skills the PC specialized in. Later Black Isle games abandoned this. Will you bring this back for Project Eternity?
TC: Yes, I liked that the player could choose his own way through the setting based on how the character was specialized. This is one reason we are paying close attention to the design of the non-combat abilities. They cannot be an afterthought because they will change how the player moves through the story.​

Exactly why I was excited for him to be on board. :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom