Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain on Matt Chat

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout; Matt Barton; Tim Cain

<p>Writer Matt Baron has added <strong>Tim Cain</strong> to his harem of Matt Chat interviewees. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgjd4i1o4UY" target="_blank">Tim discusses</a> Dungeons & Dragons, Wasteland, Fallout, and the superior graphics of the Atari 800.<br /><br /><em>Thanks to  phanboy_iv and ksjav for pointing this out</em></p>

Tails

Arbiter
Good piece of interview, thought Fallout maniacs won't find much new information they didn't read about before. Can't wait for more!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Good interview with a great guy.

Looking forward to part II.

StrangeCase

Educated
A perfect example is Bethesda's use of the Fallout setting the the SPECIAL system. They understand the elements but not the totality. They provide the campaign setting but then force a direction on the player leaving no room to shape the adventure within that setting; they understand the necessity of the SPECIAL system but not how a consistent ruleset lends structure to gameplay. They allowed content to influence form, rather than vice versa.

Except for its wide variety of bad design decisions, poor programming, misguided priorities, weak characterizations, and lazy shortcuts, Fallout 3 is an excellent game. Maybe the best game ever made.

Ah, a disciple of the Garriott school of thought, and quite a logical one. Once you know what you can do with an engine, design the content around it.

They allowed content to influence form, rather than vice versa.[/

Excellent interview.

Laughed when Cain said "I am no businessman"

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Too bad that they didn't make SPECIAL more like GURPS. Anyway, interesting interview.

They couldn't get the license for a GURPS based cRPG, so they had to cook up their own system, but that was what they were aiming for IIRC.

Haven't watched this interview yet though. Maybe he says as much.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
This Matt Chat does a great show. Its also good to see people taking a serious interest in gaming history.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Shit though, forward to the last few minutes of that 2nd interview and listen to what Tim says. Despite what he's said about having liked the direction Fallout has gone in, you can tell that he really fucking hates having lost Fallout. :(

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
hiver said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvgSGxNTADI

:cries bitterly:

:CRIES!!!!:

I don't understand why they didn't release that demo. Why Tim? Why?

Fat Dragon said:
Shit though, forward to the last few minutes of that 2nd interview and listen to what Tim says. Despite what he's said about having liked the direction Fallout has gone in, you can tell that he really fucking hates having lost Fallout. :(

Tim speaks in code:

"This is the world I'm used to... But its not my world."

Fat Dragon said:
you can tell that he really fucking hates having lost Fallout. :(

When I listened to that part I was thinking, "Death to Sales and Marketing!"

:x

Indeed. Death to Sales and Marketing. All Caine and co need is a business overlord, one that stays omnipresent, yet only steps in directly if things need a prod to keep them focused. It is plain they are decent enough with knowing what consumers want, just needing someone to keep them on the path while doing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom