Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Outpost Release Thread

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
The game is done officially released on Steam.

I ended up taking another month to get the game fully voiced, which also gave me some leeway to implement some could-haves and correct some balance issues.

Development took over a year longer than I thought it would, but I'm proud to say I managed to stick to most of the initial design for the game. The character system and RPG core, the simulation aspects and the adventure aspects are all connected and feel like a cohesive game. At least according to my testing team.

The dialogue negotiation system, the temperature-based survival aspects, the base construction and the world map all feature gameplay that is either completely unique or a combination of tried-and-true things that have never been tied together before in this way.

• You can join two major factions, and choose to ally yourself with three independent organisations.
  • You can be a curious scientist, a savvy entrepreneur, a ruthless ecowarrior, a smooth-talking diplomat, a stoic engineer, an intrepid explorer or anything in between.
  • There are five completely distinct ways to end the game.
  • 33 quests, a lot of them with multiple sub-quests. They're called missions to fit the theme, but we all know what they are.
  • Continuous spherical world map lets you explore the entire moon with over 40 unique locations.
  • A sprawling plot-line with a cast of 23 characters. The story has a couple of branches and, depending on who you trust, 22 unreliable narrators. Rely on your character's hacking skill or your awareness and insight to reveal the truth.
  • Expand your base by melting away water ice 'rock' and placing modular elements.
  • Gather allies or hire employees to get up to 8 people to populate your base
Let me finish by saying that I hope you'll enjoy the game.

I still have some Steam-related busywork to plough through, but I'm happy to answer any questions.

Here is the new trailer. The old one is still online as a Don LaFontaine homage. I had fun with that, but it was probably a bit too cheesy for its intended purpose.

PS I never expected my release to coincide with the Underrail Expansion and the Colony Ship demo. I love them both.

Last edited:

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
How big is your development team? How long did it take to develop?

Almost 3 years. The design process had been percolating for years before that. The development team is just me. I commissioned or bought some 3D models to save time, and I hired voice actors. Apart from that, it's a one-man effort.

Codex Year of the Donut
How big is your development team? How long did it take to develop?

Almost 3 years. The design process had been percolating for years before that. The development team is just me. I commissioned or bought some 3D models to save time, and I hired voice actors. Apart from that, it's a one-man effort.
Impressive!
If you don't mind me asking, was the voice acting expensive?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PS I never expected my release to coincide with the Underrail Expansion and the Colony Ship demo. I love them both.

Actually those aren't the games I was referring to in the previous thread. There are three other indie RPGs coming out on literally the same day. Gonna be a busy day for me after a long lazy summer.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Just a mere three years? Engine programming too?

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
If you don't mind me asking, was the voice acting expensive?

Yes and no. As a musician/composer, I've worked at recording studios a lot and sometimes drifted into voice work and voice directing, so I got some good actors like people who work on the Dutch Sesame Street and an Australian artist to help me out. They're friends of mine who were willing to work for free, so that doesn't count. The Asian part of the cast were actors I contacted through Fiverr. They did much better than I could have hoped to expect, although one of them was pretty bad and I might replace his work as DLC later. A few Americans I booked through an agent were a bit more expensive, but they cut me a great deal because they liked the project so much. Most of them did a fantastic job. One of them, Kim Reiko, was especially amazing. Also, I voiced three characters myself.

Just a mere three years? Engine programming too?

Partly. It runs on Unity, but with so many custom shaders and core modifications that I had to branch off from 2017.0.1. Unity doesn't deserve the bad reputation it gets. If you treat it as a graphics engine with a somewhat sleek Mono architecture and really solid C# support instead of some glorified game-in-a-box wizard, it's really powerful. Another thing I used from core Unity is the path-finding library, but in retrospect that was probably a mistake. It's serviceable, but not perfect.

Three RPGs. Gonna be a busy day for me after a long lazy summer.

Wow, that's insane.

Will you try to put your game on GoG?

Eventually. I haven't been able to justify spending a lot of time on that until now. They have some requirements that are not difficult to meet, but it would take me a while to restructure things and I just wanted to get the game out there first.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Partly. It runs on Unity, but with so many custom shaders and core modifications that I had to branch off from 2017.0.1. Unity doesn't deserve the bad reputation it gets. If you treat it as a graphics engine with a somewhat sleek Mono architecture and really solid C# support instead of some glorified game-in-a-box wizard, it's really powerful. Another thing I used from core Unity is the path-finding library, but in retrospect that was probably a mistake. It's serviceable, but not perfect.
Your sensible approach alone sold me the game.
:salute:

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm enjoying Expedition to the Black Sea atm, dammit! :argh:

Oh well, gotta let people who don't play Underrail to betatest it instead.

Also, seems like Thursday is the new Friday :incline:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
August 1, 2019, is here. I am not wrong, the calendar function on my laptop and on my mobile phone both confirm this.

:yeah:

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Well, I'm being kept in limbo. Apparently Steam is still reviewing my latest build.

I did cut it close by uploading it on Monday, and they're probably busy. It says the earliest possible release date is now August 6th. I hope that isn't true and the game will be released as soon as they tag my latest depot. I'll keep you all informed. Thanks for the support! Biting my nails here.

Codex Year of the Donut
Well, I'm being kept in limbo. Apparently Steam is still reviewing my latest build.

I did cut it close by uploading it on Monday, and they're probably busy. It says the earliest possible release date is now August 6th. I hope that isn't true and the game will be released as soon as they tag my latest depot. I'll keep you all informed. Thanks for the support! Biting my nails here.
Might end up benefiting you if it does get delayed to the 6th, today is a bit crowded for releases.

Bohr

Arcane

:salute:
(Still time for a "sorry, need to go to McDonalds, release pushed back" update though)

Saduj

Arcane
Congratulations!

Was looking at the Steam page for this last night and missed that it was coming out today so soon. Will definitely be picking this up when it comes out.

Deleted Member 22431

Guy is trying to improve dialogue systems. RESPECT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom