Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Todd Howard: We Have Three Big Projects in Development

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Ted Peterson's working on that game, he's the original creator of The Elder Scrolls.

dextermorgan

Arcane
Where has all the money gone.
crack-cocaine-addiction-detox.jpg

Mustawd

Somebody shut down this subforum for the love of Allah Yaweh DarkUnderlord God!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

This is the interview Todd confirming The Elder Scrolls 6 and two big projects before that.

Bullshit. That's the same song and dance we heard about Fallout 4 till it suddenly appeared almost fully formed.

From the looks of it they're actually going through the effort to create a new game engine, but I'd bet anything ES6 started development awhile ago on that frankenstein abomination of theirs. Probably the last ES or Fallout to be built with it. Thank god.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Bullshit. That's the same song and dance we heard about Fallout 4 till it suddenly appeared almost fully formed.

From the looks of it they're actually going through the effort to create a new game engine, but I'd bet anything ES6 started development awhile ago on that frankenstein abomination of theirs. Probably the last ES or Fallout to be built with it. Thank god.

Nah, I reckon Tes 6 will be the first game on this new engine, they have two other big projects that are being worked on that I'm guessing are used to fill the time it takes to build this new engine.

Nah, I reckon Tes 6 will be the first game on this new engine, they have two other big projects that are being worked on that I'm guessing are used to fill the time it takes to build this new engine.

Whatever they're saying publicly, for the last couple iterations they always started development on a title in one series when work on the other was halfway through or wrapping up. And they didn't begin mass recruiting for the new engine till a bit after Fallout 4 released. But we'll see.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

Whatever they're saying publicly, for the last couple iterations they always started development on a title in one series when work on the other was halfway through or wrapping up. And they didn't begin mass recruiting for the new engine till a bit after Fallout 4 released. But we'll see.

Oh yeah, they know what the game is going to be for sure, they've probably got concept art and some basic design documentation down as well. I'm guessing that they intend to have the three big projects (vr, something, something) test out some new feature or something so that they will learn from mistakes made during development and apply that to TES 6 and the new engine.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Sorry, but Todd can't hear you over all his franchises that print money and success.

He also forgot his microscope and tweezers.

3c5.jpg

hell bovine

Arcane
Idk why, but I feel like he has serial killer eyes.* He could star in slasher movies as an alternative career.

*maybe it's different for guys and you find him sexy, though. It would explain his business success.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I knew this would happen as soon as I got into Elder Scrolls Online, because that game is like Elder Scrolls 9. (It is sooooo much better than Skyrim). It had a $200 million budget and you can tell, every single aspect of it is better than Skyrim, except maybe graphics (once modded Skyrim is gorgeous). But the character building, itemisation, combat, questing, world size and variety, mob variety, etc..etc.. everything is 100 times better. So I can't imagine them making a "normal" Elder Scrolls game again now that ESO exists. They are also actively supporting it with 4 new expansions for it each year so far. The game wipes the floor with Elder Scrolls, it seems like a huge success yet it also makes their single player baby version obsolete.

Add in the bad reception of Fallout 5 and it makes sense to do new things. They have been mass producing those same 2 games for ages and they aren't progressing well enough. I always worry that they are unable to break the formula and try something more interesting because the accountants tell them they are not allowed to risk losing their good established fanbase. But making some new games would hopefully let them try new things. I love/hate Bethesda because I think they make shit games, yet I think they are capable of making great ones, and I think they are only a few RPG devs around these days that can afford to make a modern epic RPG. I hate that they never attempt it, but love that there is chance they might some day do it...

ColCol

Arcane
I knew this would happen as soon as I got into Elder Scrolls Online, because that game is like Elder Scrolls 9. (It is sooooo much better than Skyrim). It had a $200 million budget and you can tell, every single aspect of it is better than Skyrim, except maybe graphics (once modded Skyrim is gorgeous). But the character building, itemisation, combat, questing, world size and variety, mob variety, etc..etc.. everything is 100 times better. So I can't imagine them making a "normal" Elder Scrolls game again now that ESO exists. They are also actively supporting it with 4 new expansions for it each year so far. The game wipes the floor with Elder Scrolls, it seems like a huge success yet it also makes their single player baby version obsolete.

Add in the bad reception of Fallout 5 and it makes sense to do new things. They have been mass producing those same 2 games for ages and they aren't progressing well enough. I always worry that they are unable to break the formula and try something more interesting because the accountants tell them they are not allowed to risk losing their good established fanbase. But making some new games would hopefully let them try new things. I love/hate Bethesda because I think they make shit games, yet I think they are capable of making great ones, and I think they are only a few RPG devs around these days that can afford to make a modern epic RPG. I hate that they never attempt it, but love that there is chance they might some day do it...
:badnews:

pippin

You sound like you're from 2050.

more competent people.

This is the prospect that scares me though. I'd rather see Fallout having a decent death.

This. The Fallout franchise is basically old Yeller with Rabies. It should be put iout of its misery before it hurts someone.

I actually hate when people say Fallout needs to be put down or cancelled indefinitely. What we're seeing isn't the 'real' Fallout, just Fallout fanfiction Elder Scrolls games with Fallout colors splashed all over. It would be irredeemable if they actually went West Coast and trampled over everything that had already been established. Most of their muckups were at least somewhat excusable except for killing Harold. Obsidian proved in NV that they could even incorporate what they did with 3 and actually come out smelling even better than roses for it.

In fact, I found it funny that in Far Harbor they implied that a lot of things the player character in either game has seen would be because of radiation or trauma messing with their heads. The entire pre-war backstory was implied to be false, and apparently Pete said that Jet isn't even supposed to be in Vault 95 officially. You could even retcon Harold saying that weird stuff you drank before meeting him was just you hallucinating and it wasn't really him. I mean, they retconned the entire Lyon's Brotherhood...

Bethesda lore is literally so incredibly flimsy even they don't follow it. All the events of 3 and 4 could just be made irrelevant by snapping their fingers.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Idk why, but I feel like he has serial killer eyes.* He could star in slasher movies as an alternative career.

*maybe it's different for guys and you find him sexy, though. It would explain his business success.

Yes they are cold dead eyes that want to destroy everything that is beautiful in the world, Fallout is just the first casualty.

jaydee2k

Savant
They will buy Arcanum from Activision and will make a 3d Shooter with looooots of violence in it because
violence is sooo fun bruh

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You sound like you're from 2050.
But it makes sense. There is a fine line between mass producing a series (Fifa, Call of Duty, GTA, etc), and running a series into the ground. Most of those big games are the best at what they do, but shit like Skyrim gets humiliated by some smaller company's Johnny come lately game like Witcher 3 which does everything better than Bethesdas established game that has decades of heritage to build upon. Witcher 3 has no loading screens when going into a building, much better graphics, better engine, better UI, much better quests and voice acting, better world design, better characters. I could click Witcher 3 icon in my start menu and be actually playing the game 10 seconds later. That game is so slick. Then there was that Amalur game which did action pew pew combat better than Skyrim, even though it was a new IP and even though Skyrim is the 5th game in an established series that even after all this time still doesn't have its shit together. Stuff like the whole game pausing when you change weapon or spell etc, is just pathetic, and I think they know it. But they are kind of trapped by their own success. Their games are growing in popularity each time and making them good money, but if they change anything in that winning formula, they risk losing everything if their established single minded fans don't like it. And yet stuff really does need to change.

Fallout 4 shows some of these problems. Fallout 3 was shallow and boring, so they went and added a detailed crafting system, and there is nothing but complaining about it. VATS now slows things down instead of pausing the game, but it was still too little too late. Even fans who were desperate for zomg Fallout4!1!1! are posting about how they waited all this time yet got bored in a few days. That is how a game series dies. Fans don't even realize that more of the same is not enough, until they get more of the same and get instantly bored with it.

Making some new IP games is the best thing Bethesda could do now.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Aren't you shilling for this shit in another thread? Joined October 12, 2016 and shilling about how great ESO is on every thread! Time for the Advertising Plant gif.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom