Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TOEE is orgasmic

biggestboss

Liturgist
Huh... so you can't craft items anymore once you hit max level. That kind of sucks, but I also already feel completely overpowered as is so I guess it's time to just beat the game.

I like how you can reshuffle your initiative order.

I don't recommend Co8, though. It's either patch 2 or Temple+ for me.

Co8 and Temple+ are compatible, though.
Lilura, I trust your opinion on this. As an utter ToEE noob myself what are the differences between Co8 and Temple+. What does one do that the other doesn't and why shouldn't I go for Co8?

biggestboss

Liturgist
Are there any other games that play similarly to TOEE? Any era is fine as long as it's turn based/party based and preferably isometric or top down. Cloud saving would be nice so that I can play both at home and at work, but not super important.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Are there any other games that play similarly to TOEE? Any era is fine as long as it's turn based/party based and preferably isometric or top down. Cloud saving would be nice so that I can play both at home and at work, but not super important.

Arcanum is from Troika games too, but is not based on D&D but i recommend.

Pathfinder Kingmaker with turn based mod is interesting too. But most famous D&D adaptations are RtWP.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Already beat Arcanum, love that game. I do have Kingmaker but I uninstalled it pretty quickly due to the looks of the companions in addition to the words that they spoke. A turn based mod does certainly intrigue me though so I may give it another try.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lilura, I trust your opinion on this. As an utter ToEE noob myself what are the differences between Co8 and Temple+. What does one do that the other doesn't and why shouldn't I go for Co8?

They both have extensive release notes, though the quick summary is that co8 does a lot of bug fixes and additional content whereas Temple+ does engine fixes and tons of new features (convenience and gameplay-wise).

Knights of the Chalice, though it doesn't have as many options as ToEE. Far more solid content though.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I do have a copy of Knights of the Chalice purchased. I have never gotten past the character creator due to restartitis but I should probably give it another try now.

My stance in the past was that 3rd edition/3.5e has way too many chargen options that feel like only autistic people who make spreadsheets before even playing the game could actually enjoy it, but pushing through TOEE has softened that stance for me. In light of that, I should probably give a bunch of games I've dismissed in the past another go except for Deadfire because that game is trash.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I do have a copy of Knights of the Chalice purchased. I have never gotten past the character creator due to restartitis but I should probably give it another try now.

My stance in the past was that 3rd edition/3.5e has way too many chargen options that feel like only autistic people who make spreadsheets before even playing the game could actually enjoy it, but pushing through TOEE has softened that stance for me. In light of that, I should probably give a bunch of games I've dismissed in the past another go except for Deadfire because that game is trash.

KoTC is quite simplified actually.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I loooove KOTC. Sad that there are only really those 2 games like this. Stupid games industry.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I actually own Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager on my GoG account. Played through a bit of Shattered Lands probably a year or so ago and liked it a lot but for some reason I stopped playing which is something that happens to a lot of games I play.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Did you finish TOEE already? I have been busy so hardly played for a week. But I started doing those elemental nodes after you kill the boss and they are tougher than I expected. Taking me some time to work through them.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Nah, I haven't opened the game since my game crashed after Iuz was summoned. I did notice that Hedrack was slighly challenging, and Iuz was basically impossible to hit except with Scather although it obviously seemed that way by design.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah he is serious business. My first attempt I got wiped out. Second attempt, Iuz flees after he gets yelled at. But when he flees he resurrects everything in the room. And the third attempt I killed Hedrack so fast he didn't get a chance to summon Iuz. Felt a bit like a cheat but I've paid my dues by now so whatevs.

Andhaira

Arcane
I like how you can reshuffle your initiative order.

I don't recommend Co8, though. It's either patch 2 or Temple+ for me.

Co8 and Temple+ are compatible, though.

Do NOT install the Circle of 8 mod. It adds retarded shit like Cloud's sword (yes, that Cloud from Final Fantasy VII) and replaces the vanilla summons list with shit like Chocobos, Unicorns (pink colored!). It also replaces spells like Fireball and Lightning Bolt with shit like Fire III and Bolt III :retarded: It also adds in unnecessary romances and replaces the stock models of 2 NPCs with weird anime models that have tails.

Co8 Mod...Avoid Like the Plague.

biggestboss

Liturgist
My playthrough has been through only Temple+ which provides high resolution support and some other bugfixes and I couldn't ask for more honestly.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
DAMN I just did the fight against 6 of those huge salamanders. 6 fireballs are impossible and sadly I never got that sphere of invulnerability. The level 1 resistance was useless. There was a level 4 ish resistance that was pretty good, it would shrug off about 4 fireballs before fading. But in the end I found that sickness from stinking cloud stops them using their spells. They all piled up on my tank after being unable to cast, and then I could nuke them down with cone of cold which was satisfying as fuck. It took me about 10 attempts to win though. Even once I figured out the stinking cloud thing, they can still resist it. I have 2 elemental areas done now, and this fire place is done too apart from the big boss. Looking forward to him! I think there is only one place left after that. Maybe 2.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DAMN I just did the fight against 6 of those huge salamanders. 6 fireballs are impossible and sadly I never got that sphere of invulnerability. The level 1 resistance was useless. There was a level 4 ish resistance that was pretty good, it would shrug off about 4 fireballs before fading. But in the end I found that sickness from stinking cloud stops them using their spells. They all piled up on my tank after being unable to cast, and then I could nuke them down with cone of cold which was satisfying as fuck. It took me about 10 attempts to win though. Even once I figured out the stinking cloud thing, they can still resist it. I have 2 elemental areas done now, and this fire place is done too apart from the big boss. Looking forward to him! I think there is only one place left after that. Maybe 2.

Do you have globe of invulnerability? I used it against then and worked fine. I don't know if the spell exist on base game since i an with Co8, but the idea of level cap = 10 is awful for me... I believe that there are an recruitable wizard on a tower with the spell in question(not sure)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't have the globe, I could maybe find a scroll somewhere but it doesn't matter now anyway. I saw the recruitable wiz, but I wanted to do the whole game with my party of 5. I killed them all anyway, so now I am on the fire boss (Balor something), it is hard as hell! But I reloaded a few times and got a great first turn and saved. So I think I will be able to finish him pretty soon. I decided to google for spoilers for this guy though. Casting 20 spells that all do 0 damage is no fun, so google said to focus on magic missiles. I have about 8 of those so hopefully that will help.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think my ToEE install might be fucked. I have just Temple+ but picked Scorching Ray on my Sorcerer, which doesn't show up in the help menu, and whenever I cast it and land a hit, there is no effect. Any ideas Sitra Achara?
Untitled.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom