Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight III (formerly Torchlight Frontiers)

Latelistener

Arcane
https://www.torchlight3.com

Following the closure of Runic Games, some of the main players moved on to form ECHTRA games and they are starting to talk a little about their new game.

ECHTRA was founded by Max Schaefer (Diablo 2), David Glenn (Diablo 2), and Justin Miller (Torchlight) in 2016, and since the company formed, they have been keeping very quiet about their first game. What we do know from the information available is that the new game will be based on “a big world based on a beloved gaming franchise”.

Reading between the lines it is possible that ECHTRA is on a new MMO possibly based on Torchlight. When Runic closed down their parting message to fans was, “For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming”. Whether that means they will revisit the Torchlight world remains to be seen. They do state that they will be adding content and features to the game long after launch which does hint at some kind of MMO or online focused game.

The development team currently comprises of around 30 employees with names Diablo fans might recognise such as Tyler Thompson (Diablo 2), Matt Uelmen (Composer), Guy Somberg (Battle.Net), and more. It’s quite a team that’s been put together.

In a recent chat, Max Schaefer dropped a few hints that it could be an MMO and that more details on the project will be revealed this year. Keep an eye out for more news on ECHTRA Games new game in the months ahead.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/ex-diablo-and-torchlight-devs-working-on-a-beloved-gaming-franchise/

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

Reading between the lines it is possible that ECHTRA is on a new MMO possibly based on Torchlight. When Runic closed down their parting message to fans was, “For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming”.

If this is setup like Path of Exile in terms of pay model then Im 100% in. If I need to interact and play with randoms then no. Hopefully, they’re not retarded.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If it is more like PoE/Diablo 2 and less like Marvel Heroes shit I am interested.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't mind a Torchlight III, at least if it is somewhat different than 1 and 2.
Really liked Torchlight 1, but 2 just felt like more of the same to me - I didn't even finish it.

Latelistener

Arcane
I wonder what about Travis Baldree and Erich Schaefer though. They left Runic first (and we still don't know why).
Judging by his Twitter, Erich is working on something new, but I don't know if he's still at Double Damage Games (the company they founded with Travis).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Torchlight Frontiers for PC and consoles, published by Perfect World Entertainment (the owner of IP): https://www.torchlightfrontiers.com/en

Torchlight Frontiers combines the heart of the beloved Torchlight series with a shared, persistent and dynamically generated world. In true Torchlight style, players will team up with friends and devoted pets to hack and slack their way through a vibrant world, discover ancient ruins of lost civilizations and brave dungeons filled with riches and dangerous creatures.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hmm, Torchlight was good, but it lacked a certain spark. But I will keep an eye on this.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Will be playable at Gamescom and PAX West.

And the new studio Echtra Games is a subsidiary of Perfect World? Well, what was the point of shutting down Runic?

PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES TORCHLIGHT FRONTIERS

Today, Perfect World Entertainment, Inc., a leading publisher of live service games, announced its newest development studio, Echtra Games, Inc., is working on the next iteration of the award-winning Torchlight series: Torchlight Frontiers. Set in the same beloved Torchlight universe from Torchlight I and II, this shared-world action-RPG brings back many of the franchise’s signature features and mechanics that captured the hearts of ARPG fans around the world. Led by former Runic Games and Blizzard North co-founder, Max Schaefer, the team developing Torchlight Frontiers is comprised of veteran developers who were responsible for the games that defined the ARPG genre, including the original Diablo and Torchlight franchises. Torchlight Frontiers will be available on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation®4.

Check out the official announcement trailer for Torchlight Frontiers here:

https://youtu.be/5Xj6OGVIKTM

“Perfect World Entertainment has had a strong working relationship with Max Schaefer, dating back to the original Torchlight game, and we believe in his vision to evolve the Torchlight series,” said Yoon Im, senior vice president of publishing at Perfect World Entertainment. “Max has put together an all-star team of developers, and we continue to be amazed by the sheer level of talent and wealth of experience that they bring to Torchlight Frontiers. We’re proud to have Echtra Games as a part of the company.”

“Evolving the Torchlight universe into a shared world has always been a goal for the franchise, and I’m excited that we’re finally able to make it a reality,” said Max Schaefer, CEO of Echtra Games. “Torchlight Frontiers will be a living, breathing universe that will still feel uniquely Torchlight, while we add our own creative spin to the game. The team is building something truly special, and we can’t wait for fans to play it for the first time at Gamescom and PAX West.”

Torchlight Frontiers combines the heart of the beloved Torchlight series with a shared, persistent and dynamically generated world. In true Torchlight style, players will team up with friends and devoted pets to hack and slack their way through a vibrant world, discover ancient ruins of lost civilizations and brave dungeons filled with riches and dangerous creatures. Additional details about Torchlight Frontiers will be revealed at a later date.

Torchlight Frontiers is headed to Gamescom and PAX West! Show attendees can be among the first to play an early demo of the game and meet the Echtra Games developers by visiting the Perfect World Entertainment booths at Gamescom in Germany (Hall 8, Booth# B41) from August 21 – 25 and PAX West in Seattle (Booth # 1115) from August 31 – September 3.

Learn more about Torchlight Frontiers at TorchlightFrontiers.com. Follow the game on Twitter (@PlayTorchlight) and Facebook.com/PlayTorchlight for the latest updates.

ABOUT PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC.

Perfect World Entertainment is a leading online publisher of live service games in North America and Europe. Founded in 2008, Perfect World Entertainment is known for creating and publishing titles based on well-known global entertainment franchises, such as Star Trek and Dungeons & Dragons. The company’s popular live service MMO games, including Neverwinter, Star Trek Online and PWI, have cumulatively grossed over $500M in their lifetimes. Perfect World Entertainment also partners with indie development studios, including Unknown Worlds, developer of Subnautica, and Runic Games, creators of the Torchlight series, to help bring their games to market on a global scale. Perfect World Entertainment is a subsidiary of Perfect World Group, and is headquartered in Redwood City, California. For more information, please visit: www.perfectworld.com.

ABOUT ECHTRA GAMES, INC.

Echtra Games is a San Francisco-based game studio comprised of seasoned developers who helped shaped the world of action role-playing games. The team was founded in early 2016 by Max Schaefer, co-creator of genre-defining game franchises like Torchlight and Diablo. A longstanding dream to revive the world of Torchlight inspired him to reunite some of the industry’s best developers and create the studio’s very first project, Torchlight Frontiers. Echtra Games is a subsidiary of the Perfect World Group. To learn more, please visit www.echtragames.com.

Irata

Scholar
Wasn't much of a fan of Torchlight (never played 2) and found Marvel Online dull, but I'll sign up for the trial. Maybe they've learned a thing or two since then. It's awfully "cute" though. I know Torchlight was cartoony, but I don't remember it having adorable little monsters trying to eat you.

Latelistener

Arcane
Netherlings will suck you dry.

They do suck mana in Torchlight II, and if you will get killed because of that on Hardcore, it will be far from adorable.

AA94FD5925DC1BB5D431AF5CDCB6AB8111A8E111

Baron Dupek

Arcane
No mods, I'll pass. Torchlights got decent mods (basic game was far from balanced anyway) so they already lost for me.

duanth123

Arcane
Last edited:
I enjoyed both Torchlights (especially 2). If they can build a decent community I will likely give this a shot, but it's going to take a lot of luck and hard work for this to not be DOA.

ortucis

Prophet
Where is my Hellgate London 2 ?

I played the first one as a SP game for over 100 hours. Last I checked, some new company had taken over the IP.

As for Torchlight, never cared for the series. The second one had welcome improvements but still bored the shit out of me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Join Max Schaefer (Runic Games and Blizzard North co-founder, CEO/founder of Echtra Games) for a look inside the Echtra Games studio and a preview of our first title, Torchlight Frontiers!

Torchlight Frontiers combines the heart of the beloved Torchlight series with a shared, persistent and dynamically generated world. In true Torchlight style, players will team up with friends and devoted pets to hack and slack their way through a vibrant world, discover ancient ruins of lost civilizations and brave dungeons filled with riches and dangerous creatures. Additional details about Torchlight Frontiers will be revealed at a later date.

Torchlight Frontiers will be available on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation®4.

Latelistener

Arcane
Well, what was the point of shutting down Runic?
Probably not many people from the team wanted to work on MMO, so Max decided to start a new studio for that.
Runic was basically done when Travis Baldree left. I didn't want to believe it, but it is what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom