Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torchlight III (formerly Torchlight Frontiers) - no longer an online F2P game

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Latelistener, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    It was shit in Morrowind. Although Hellgate does it way better than Morrowind from what I remember of Hellgate when it came out. That kind of RPG rules abstraction from isometric games doesn't work within a modern FPS system which is far less abstract. It just all feels off, because they're two totally opposite systems. If you're putting that stuff into a first person view, and you're giving the player FPS controls, you're better off having a bunch of stats govern a number of facets about your aiming reticle functions, and having different animations giving the player information like when you aim too long in Thief and your bow (and aim) start to sway. I'm not however saying a first person view can't work.

If your aim doesn't actually enter into the equation of hitting or not hitting something in the game then there's no reason to have a aiming reticle or even give the player manual control over their aim. Giving the player those thing tells their brain shit is going to work like a FPS, because that's how FPS almost all work, but then then actual game's systems are something totally different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    I'm sorry if your brain function is so limited it cannot comprehend RPG combat from first person perspective. You thoroughly confuse first person perspective with first person shooters.
    You are not the only one with this problem, rest assured.

I and others who enjoy Morrowind combat do not have this limitation.
    And I actually prefer it over the alternative. In RPGs, anyway.

That said, it would actually be extremely simple to switch between both modes.
    At least in in single player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. circuit breaker Educated

circuit breaker
    Not sure about this one.

I really enjoyed Torchlight 1. 2 was competent, but wasn't as much fun, for some reason.

I wonder how well they will execute on pivoting TL3 back from an MMORPG to a single-player RPG.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. abija Liturgist

abija
    Torchlight 2 was a perfect foundation to expand upon but that would require trying and giving a shit about your product...

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    I haven't played Torchlights that much, but I applaud devs for their attitude and shift from the mmo and dlc territory. This is amazing.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Latelistener Cipher

Latelistener
    No matter how good or bad Hellgate was, it started the whole shlooter thing, i.e. Borderlands and its successors. Essentially those guys got it right, but it flopped for various reasons. Although there was a fan server somewhere, which means it's not entirely forgotten.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Borderlands started development in 2005, a couple years before Hellgate London came out. I'm not sure how much Hellgate ever really figured into the equation of that game, although their previous game Diablo was a huge inspiration on it. There was lots of Diablo talk back when they first showed it off, before it went away and came back looking cartoony.

^ Top  
  9. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Yes. If only Diablo 4 would do the same.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Doesn't seem like there's any reason he wouldn't still be on it. Doesn't look like they're totally scrapping Frontiers, so it would be odd if they did that to stuff he'd already done for it.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)