Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Torment 2 Interview with Brian Fargo at NowGamer + First Concept Art

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Numenera; Torment: Tides of Numenera

NowGamer offers an interview with InXile's Brian Fargo about Torment 2 and Numenera (the setting and RPG system, designed by Monte Cook, that the game will use), as well as the first piece of concept art, "The Bloom."

[​IMG]

You talked about perhaps using turn-based combat instead of real-time with pause: is that wise? Surely the fans would wage war against you?

Let me turn this over to project director Kevin Saunders: “We see the key elements of the combat system for this game as agnostic of whether the implementation is real-time with pause, turn-based, or some hybrid, like a phase-based system.

We’ll discuss further in the future, but, briefly, by key elements, we mean aspects like: ensuring that character customization choices influence combat, meaningful tactical decisions, synergy with the narrative and creative elements, accentuating and further developing the companions, etc.

Because we can craft the game we are promising regardless of this specific decision, it is exactly the type of question for which we’d involve our backers.

We would outline what we will attempt to achieve through combat, and how it is interwoven with the narrative and overall gameplay, present the primary options, and let our backers weigh in – confident that we can satisfy our design goals for this game while taking their preferences into account.

We’ve been taking this approach with Wasteland 2 and have found backer input to be invaluable in such design decisions.”​

I wonder which of the two options, turn based or RTwP, the majority of backers will choose.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  2. Krash Prophet

Krash
    Seriously gorgeous art, hope the game will look as good.

^ Top  
  3. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That's some really nice concept art.

:thumbsup:

^ Top  
  4. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    It can, if they choose pre-rendered 2D backgrounds.

^ Top  
  5. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    I think Codex in general is not going to like the answer. Still, Brian once again talks sense here. Good think they are shaping the vision of their project.

Also, that artwork. :love:

^ Top  
  6. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Yes, because a lot of the traitors will vote RTWP. :decline:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Of course, cuz Torment combat sucked so this must suck too lololo

^ Top  
  9. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    That picture could need some colour, other than that I am liking it, not sure why there need to be so many spikes though.. Then again, Sigil looked sometimes similar so who am I to complain.

^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It will be very interesting to see what system wins, actually. How storyfaggy is Torment's fanbase, really? It will be the ultimate test.

^ Top  
  11. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    I wouldn't mind a TB-PB hybrid or pure PB but that approach might be a burden to a Torment-like game. The reason combat sucks in PST imo is because it's secondary to the plot. A Torment game could be made where combat is every bit integral for the combat oriented and thus carry a deep combat system without burdening the rest of the game.

^ Top  
  12. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Seeing how the game's gameplay and combat receive a large fare of complaints, I would wager it is a LOT. Particurlarly the kickstarter backer fanbase.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    It is extremely storyfaggy to the oint they would prefer cutscenes over gameplay. How do I know? Well, I used to hang around TWitcher forums. The only better game to them than TWitcher is PS:T. There's practically its cult over there.

^ Top  
  14. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    or they could do it BOTH rt and tb, like in arcanum, where it worked perfectly, right?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Bah, I don't give a shit if it's TB or RTWP. I really hope they go for prerendered 2D backgrounds though, dat concept art deserves it.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Harg Harfardarssen Cipher Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    What can change the nature of Torment's fanbase, Torment's fanbase never changes.

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Executer Phrenologist

Executer
    That sort of combat could be a winner as long as there aren't as many mobs/trash mobs.

^ Top  
  18. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I would like TB, but hell yeah to pre-rendered background with that art style.

^ Top  
  19. Temaperacl Augur

Temaperacl
    That is my intial reaction as well, although I could see it swinging either way depending on exactly what kind of crowd they end up attracting.

^ Top  
  20. Bony Learned Queued

Bony
    What is this shit? here is the fixed version:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  21. ohWOW Sucking on dicks and being proud of it Dumbfuck Queued

ohWOW
    Can't wait how shitty biowarian next-gen shit will come out from this:smug:

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Can't wait to see how 500 page threads about resting mechanics will come out from this :deadhorse:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Wise Emperor Cipher

Wise Emperor
    :grimdark:

Looks like a cover for some Black Metal band. It's nice, I guess.
    I bet the title is a nod to the codex, for criticizing all the bloom and filters used in new crpg.

^ Top  
  24. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    Resting mechanics. When was the last time any game had resting mechanics? As in, you choose variables for rest, eg. "Eat / Don't; Sleep: Alert / Well; Do: ( )Repairs, ( )Healing, ( )Meditate"

^ Top  
  25. Bony Learned Queued

Bony
    Witcher 2, an rpg with REAL 2deep4u resting mechanics.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)