Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Torment 2 Interview with Brian Fargo at NowGamer + First Concept Art

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Numenera; Torment: Tides of Numenera

NowGamer offers an interview with InXile's Brian Fargo about Torment 2 and Numenera (the setting and RPG system, designed by Monte Cook, that the game will use), as well as the first piece of concept art, "The Bloom."

You talked about perhaps using turn-based combat instead of real-time with pause: is that wise? Surely the fans would wage war against you?

Let me turn this over to project director Kevin Saunders: “We see the key elements of the combat system for this game as agnostic of whether the implementation is real-time with pause, turn-based, or some hybrid, like a phase-based system.

We’ll discuss further in the future, but, briefly, by key elements, we mean aspects like: ensuring that character customization choices influence combat, meaningful tactical decisions, synergy with the narrative and creative elements, accentuating and further developing the companions, etc.

Because we can craft the game we are promising regardless of this specific decision, it is exactly the type of question for which we’d involve our backers.

We would outline what we will attempt to achieve through combat, and how it is interwoven with the narrative and overall gameplay, present the primary options, and let our backers weigh in – confident that we can satisfy our design goals for this game while taking their preferences into account.

We’ve been taking this approach with Wasteland 2 and have found backer input to be invaluable in such design decisions.”​

I wonder which of the two options, turn based or RTwP, the majority of backers will choose.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I wonder which of the two options, turn based or RTwP, the majority of backers will choose.

I think Codex in general is not going to like the answer. Still, Brian once again talks sense here. Good think they are shaping the vision of their project.

Also, that artwork. :love:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That picture could need some colour, other than that I am liking it, not sure why there need to be so many spikes though.. Then again, Sigil looked sometimes similar so who am I to complain.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It will be very interesting to see what system wins, actually. How storyfaggy is Torment's fanbase, really? It will be the ultimate test.

MCA
I wouldn't mind a TB-PB hybrid or pure PB but that approach might be a burden to a Torment-like game. The reason combat sucks in PST imo is because it's secondary to the plot. A Torment game could be made where combat is every bit integral for the combat oriented and thus carry a deep combat system without burdening the rest of the game.

Mrowak

Arcane
It will be very interesting to see what system wins, actually. How storyfaggy is Torment's fanbase, really? It will be the ultimate test.

It is extremely storyfaggy to the oint they would prefer cutscenes over gameplay. How do I know? Well, I used to hang around TWitcher forums. The only better game to them than TWitcher is PS:T. There's practically its cult over there.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
or they could do it BOTH rt and tb, like in arcanum, where it worked perfectly, right?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bah, I don't give a shit if it's TB or RTWP. I really hope they go for prerendered 2D backgrounds though, dat concept art deserves it.

Executer

Phrenologist
I wouldn't mind a TB-PB hybrid or pure PB but that approach might be a burden to a Torment-like game. The reason combat sucks in PST imo is because it's secondary to the plot. A Torment game could be made where combat is every bit integral for the combat oriented and thus carry a deep combat system without burdening the rest of the game.

That sort of combat could be a winner as long as there aren't as many mobs/trash mobs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bah, I don't give a shit if it's TB or RTWP. I really hope they go for prerendered 2D backgrounds though, dat concept art deserves it.

I would like TB, but hell yeah to pre-rendered background with that art style.

Temaperacl

Erudite

I think Codex in general is not going to like the answer. Still, Brian once again talks sense here. Good think they are shaping the vision of their project.
That is my intial reaction as well, although I could see it swinging either way depending on exactly what kind of crowd they end up attracting.

Bony

Learned
Queued
What is this shit? here is the fixed version:

o69z4n.jpg

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Can't wait how shitty biowarian next-gen shit will come out from this:smug:

Wise Emperor

Arcane
:grimdark:

Looks like a cover for some Black Metal band. It's nice, I guess.
I bet the title is a nod to the codex, for criticizing all the bloom and filters used in new crpg.

MCA
Resting mechanics. When was the last time any game had resting mechanics? As in, you choose variables for rest, eg. "Eat / Don't; Sleep: Alert / Well; Do: ( )Repairs, ( )Healing, ( )Meditate"

Bony

Learned
Queued
When was the last time any game had resting mechanics?

Witcher 2, an rpg with REAL 2deep4u resting mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom