Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Torment 2 Interview with Brian Fargo at NowGamer + First Concept Art

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Can't wait how shitty biowarian next-gen shit will come out from this:smug:

Can't wait to see how 500 page threads about resting mechanics will come out from this :deadhorse:

Can't wait to see you going all defensive about the Codex discussing the mechanics of another game :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:grimdark:

Looks like a cover for some Black Metal band. It's nice, I guess.
I bet the title is a nod to the codex, for criticizing all the bloom and filters used in new crpg.

"Before you stands the city of Pah Pa'mole. It is a wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Bony

Learned
Queued
Before you stands the small town of Pah Pa'mole. It is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.The wealth of Pah Pa'mole is small, the army is strong and soldiers are known for being gay. Blum, the leader of Pah Pa'mole, offers a greeting.

HOHOOO, BOY!!! Children, you are going to loooove this! Guess who came to visit ol' Blum and his luxurious studio in beautiful downtown P-mole! That's right, none other than MCA himself! Now, you wanna know if it gets better, don't you? Well HELL YES, it gets better! Turns out he is none other that Far-gos kid! I know, I know, I couldn't make this shit up!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think combat in a Torment game should be designed to be quickly resolved first and foremost. I'm not really looking for tactical challenge in my game about a meta-physical journey. I'm hoping they go with phase based. Pick your options, have quick animations showing what happened, and move on.

Severian Silk

If they add a "don't care" option to their poll or whatever I bet most people will select it.

(I would like to see TB tho.)

I think combat in a Torment game should be designed to be quickly resolved first and foremost. I'm not really looking for tactical challenge in my game about a meta-physical journey. I'm hoping they go with phase based. Pick your options, have quick animations showing what happened, and move on.

Yeah, phase based could be cool too. But, TB forevah! :x

MCA
TB+PB hybrid: TB movement but actions are phased. You choose non-movement actions for your characters, end the turn and see how it resolves. Allows for interesting combos. You plan a combo. Or a series of actions. Then it doesn't play out as you wanted, or it does, leading to interesting combat situations.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Interesting, TB+PB as you describe it reminds me of 'We-go' system in Combat Mission games. I'd actually prefer that style over real time over pause.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I do not see why it can't have interesting TB combat. Just get rid of the massive areas full of trash fights and have the majority of encounters avoidable through dialogue options.

Cabazone

Educated
I don't see why we should have TB, PB or RTWP combats. Make combat resolution a skillcheck (so violence is still an option) and chose other aspect of the game to become mechanically relevant (like economics, politics or diplomacy). Boom, originality : a RPG who isn't a subpart tactical or action game with a lot of dialogs.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I don't see why we should have TB, PB or RTWP combats. Make combat resolution a skillcheck (so violence is still an option) and chose other aspect of the game to become mechanically relevant (like economics, politics or diplomacy). Boom, originality : a RPG who isn't a subpart tactical or action game with a lot of dialogs.

Wait a minute, that's a little radical.

hiver

Dont be so blind and limited cabazone - i dont want to listen to years of "hurr, hurr its a text adventure CYOA game hurr hurr" again, mkay?

TB+PB hybrid: TB movement but actions are phased. You choose non-movement actions for your characters, end the turn and see how it resolves. Allows for interesting combos. You plan a combo. Or a series of actions. Then it doesn't play out as you wanted, or it does, leading to interesting combat situations.
Not bad at all.

Wrong.

Why the act of combat, struggle, physical danger and overcoming your fears cannot be a part of metaphysical process or a conundrum?

WHY killing another sentient being cannot be a part of the metaphysical journey, exactly?
Not just that one act but all the consequences that could and will come out of that?
HUH?

Because youre just too accustomed to combat being an empty entertainment schlock?
A grind for loot ? A grind for ego boosts? XP points?

Isnt that one trope of gaming in general? - And what does a Torment do best?

hiver

This is a Nano "flower", hah... a Bloom indeed.
And a beautiful Bloom it is.

You can notice the adherence to fractal mathematics in its... architecture.

Thats why its so lovely spiky... and twisty.
Wander what it does... if its still functional, "alive". Partially or fully.
Seems like some pathways of a settlement are around it.

Maybe its a small god. Sleeping.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
"a literally living city whose grasping tendrils creep through other dimensions"

That sounds pretty great. If its fleshed out well, it could be better than Sigil on the "Fuckin' A" scale. No, I didn't intend the pun, but I'm leaving it in anyway.

hiver

Why are you talking about JA2? detailed as JA2 no less... Cheap strawman everything you can manage?

And no, the way you described it, you cannot have any of that. Its a difference between actually being in a street fight and watching some on youtube. -edit- not to mention more extreme scenarios.-
Between actually investing effort and risk yourself and watching animations about it.

- hey mods, how about you throw an oficial pole about combat systems just to see how the numbers look? TB, RtwP and hybrid TB+PB as options.

hiver

OOOhhhh yeahhhhhh....

zeixQ.png

- new piece of concept art from the newly opened facebook page you unwashed masses -

St. Toxic

Arcane
Too many spikes and not enough color. What is this shit? Combat should be rt with bullet-time + 3'rd person shoulder mounted cam.

Shannow

Waster of Time
It will be very interesting to see what system wins, actually. How storyfaggy is Torment's fanbase, really? It will be the ultimate test.
Not really. TB vs RTwP is mostly a decision of preference.
Creepy DAO apologist: "Combat should be as easy and fast as possible so I can get on with my dating sim romances the story." != "I prefer RTwP. TB is too static and PST was also RTwP..."

I expect the majority of backers (that actually cares) will favor RTwP but that doesn't really say anything about storyfaggotness. Good story and good combat are not inherently mutually exclusive. Most people, given the choice, would choose both.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
sic pic like da spikes

so old school it's pre-technicolour

kaizoku

Arcane
needs more bloom damn it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom