Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Torment 2 Interview with Brian Fargo at NowGamer + First Concept Art

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but torment never had any successful rape mods so it's not going to get that market.

Mods maybe not, but mentally deranged fans? Oooh. I'd post some pictures.. but... :mhd:

Just Google "Annah torment" for example.

Rake

Arcane
As for witcher fans, there's no doubt 90-99% of them never played torment. Forums are not always a good indicator, I see the same five guys posting on every forum who must be like 50 by now. Many times registered on forums of a company they hate just to complain. Anyone who played it back then doesn't want rtwp pause, just read back a few years on the codex before everyone was a faggot like inaneatron and you will get some idea.

This game simply won't get funded if they go for rtwp. PE only got so much because they could jump on the biowhore bandwagon, but torment never had any successful rape mods so it's not going to get that market.
And no Bioware fans played Torment and liked it?
Torment continues to sell into this day. Thats ten years. Yes, it never had huge sells, but the people who played it back in the day are only a part of the total sales.
Also "Anyone who played it back then doesn't want rtwp pause, just read back a few years on the codex before everyone was a faggot like inaneatron and you will get some idea".
Codex is not indicative of the entire market. It is and always will be the minority. And even here you will find people who liked IE combat.
If TB was popular in general we would still had games made with it. RTwP was replaced with realtime. That alone says something.

In the end,if Torment 2 is so niche that only codexers will pledge then yes you are right, TB will be more popular( but then don't hope for anything larger than a million, and that's a stretch).
If it appeals in a more broad audience it will propably be RTwP.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rake, just like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns, right? Games so niche only a codexer would pledge. I guess this means the codex is able to raise millions of dollars, holy shit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It remains to be seen if a turn-based game can get at least as much as Shadowrun now that the craze has gone.

Rake

Arcane
Rake, just like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns, right? Games so niche only a codexer would pledge. I guess this means the codex is able to raise millions of dollars, holy shit.
And if Shadowrun Returns was RTwP are you sure it would raise lower? i dont believe it would matter at all.
Same with W2, witch was more of a "against the tyrany of publisers" thing.
None of this 2 games was funded only by the Codex.
But given the choise between TB and RTwP in a game you are interested anyway, i believe most people would go with RTwP. Maybe i'm wrong. I guess we will see with inXiles poll

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If TB was popular in general we would still had games made with it.

If it appeals in a more broad audience it will propably be RTwP.

Then 2 kickstarter games promising TB make a combined 4.7 million dollars.
:hmmm:

Also, Bioware still makes RTwP games, you're wrong about it being replaced too.

Rake

Arcane
Read my above answer. i never said that TB was unpopular, just less popular than RTwP. Maybe i'm wrong.
As for W2 and ShadowRun do you believe the majority of the backers donated strictly because of the TB combat? I believe that the games would gather the same amount eitherway

Lancehead

Liturgist
VATS is RTwP.
That's stretching it, in Fallout 3. You execute commands in slow motion while receiving only 10 % damage. VATS in Fallout 3 is more akin to turn-based where only the player gets the turns.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
VATS is RTwP.
That's stretching it, in Fallout 3. You execute commands in slow motion while receiving only 10 % damage. VATS in Fallout 3 is more akin to turn-based where only the player gets the turns.

I'd describe it more like spell with regenerating mana (AP) than anything TB (since there are no turns - just a power-up phase as powerful as your "manapool" allows).

Anyway, shit is shit.

Moribund

A droglike
Rake the biofans of today are not the biofans of yesteryear. Project Eternity didn't get all that money on the basis of being BG knockoff, but because they could claim a tie-in to bioware and bioware has lots of new fans who enjoy naked blue chicks/dudes. It's nothing to do with what people want just pure marketing numbers.

WL 2 made it because people want it and they can't get something similar any other way. This won't appeal to those people as much, and won't get either the BG or general bioware fanbase.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
VATS isn't a combat system. It's a special ability (slow motion, auto-aim, effective invulnerability)

Rake

Arcane
Rake the biofans of today are not the biofans of yesteryear. Project Eternity didn't get all that money on the basis of being BG knockoff, but because they could claim a tie-in to bioware and bioware has lots of new fans who enjoy naked blue chicks/dudes. It's nothing to do with what people want just pure marketing numbers.
Then if P:E don't have blue chicks there will be a shitstorm? Personally i think it's the Bioware fans of yesteryear who donated to P:E. The (new shit) fans don't like Obsidian because NWN 2 OC romances and hate Avellone because from the interviews he comes of as "sadistic" :lol:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As for witcher fans, there's no doubt 90-99% of them never played torment.

What a retarded thing to say, you obviously cannot into potatoe where the IE games sold quite well, and yeah you know the story with TW being potatoe, further more the gamer generation has not changed that much - surely your calculations number pulled out of your ass is just that - shit.

Moribund

A droglike
DwarvenFood you twit, potatoes love turn based games, stop being such a dipshit.

Make up whatever numbers you want, but there's two types of people playing witcher. Ones who'd rather have it be turn based and ones who didn't play torment. No one wanted that shit back then. No one really wants it now, some people are just apathetic about the combat. So why alienate the people who do want it?

Ghostdog you are just a 2007 newfag who cares what you think, you are almost as sad as infinitron.

DraQ

Arcane
DwarvenFood you twit, potatoes love turn based games, stop being such a dipshit.

Make up whatever numbers you want, but there's two types of people playing witcher. Ones who'd rather have it be turn based and ones who didn't play torment. No one wanted that shit back then. No one really wants it now, some people are just apathetic about the combat. So why alienate the people who do want it?

Ghostdog you are just a 2007 newfag who cares what you think, you are almost as sad as infinitron.
Waitwhat.

I'd *vastly* prefer PS:T being turn-based, but TB Witcher would suck.

Moribund

A droglike
No one said anything about TB witcher, which I agree would be awful, well more awful. Someone mentioned witcher for some reason and I refuted their statement and dwarvenfood made a retarded nonsequiter that's not very pertinent to much of anything.

To me it's like this, simple and obvious, with no one ever giving a reason to go against it. If it's FP and one player then it should be realtime. If it's party based then it should be turn based or phase based like a blobber. Anything else is just Fucking Retarded because you can't properly control anything.

So if they want do away with TB just go to FP and realtime. Otherwise don't even bother with this kickstarter it's not going to appeal to obshitian fans, bioware fans, or WL 2 fans and torment fans are not going to carry it, and even if they could I'm sure most of them would rather have a turn based game.

tuluse

Arcane
Read my above answer. i never said that TB was unpopular,
If TB was popular in general we would still had games made with it.
just less popular than RTwP. Maybe i'm wrong.
Sort of the whole point of kickstarter was that an idea didn't need to be the most popular girl at school. Just popular enough.

As for W2 and ShadowRun do you believe the majority of the backers donated strictly because of the TB combat? I believe that the games would gather the same amount eitherway
I don't think anyone donates to any kickstarter strictly because of one single feature, but I think TB strategic combat was a role in both W2 and SRR getting as much as they got.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom