Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Torment 2 Interview with Brian Fargo at NowGamer + First Concept Art

Moribund

A droglike
Mikayel Yes if you think it's pointless don't discuss it. No need to say anything. However there's still a good chance this will be turn based and they do follow feedback so if you are strongly in favor or against then it IS worth discussing. As for faggot and dumbfuck who started that? I am merely defending myself from assinine attacks, including from the idiot who is a newsposter here.

Rake - But why did they donate to PE? Did they donate because it had rtwp? No, they donated because they are bioware fans or fallout:nv fans. There's overlap between the two hell I admitted I used to love CoD and FF ffs but it doesn't matter. It comes from groups that are already going to donate anyway, or just donated due to name association they don't have.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rake - But why did they donate to PE? Did they donate because it had rtwp? No, they donated because they are bioware fans or fallout:nv fans.

Torment was one of the games mentioned on kickstarter, and in Obsidian forums is the second favourite after BG2. Most of the backers want the game to be like Torment.

Torment was one of the games mentioned on kickstarter, and in Obsidian forums is the second favourite after BG2. Most of the backers want the game to be like Torment.

Murk

Arcane
Discuss what? Which you like? You're going about it in a peculiar way, then. If you want InXile to know you want the game to be TB -- why wouldn't you post a well thought out thread there supporting your conclusion on why it is good with a series of premises that illustrate it's superiority?

Rehashing the same thought with people here won't achieve that goal, I'm sure people read this forum but I doubt they scan every inch of it when in need of crowd-feedback -- the place to do so would be on their forum.

Actually, forget what I said. Keep doing whatever it is that you enjoy. My post is pointless.

Moribund

A droglike
Apparently infinitron is a special person. The backers who are already torment fans are probably already going to back it. The only exception being people who doubt they can deliver on the story and/or who prefer TB games, like me. No one says "gosh I want rtwp game!" they said they wanted a game with a cool story like torment had. The ones who aren't torment fans you probably won't be getting anyway. It's pretty simple but then you already had several massive reading comprehension failures in this thread alone.

Mikayel - No need to discuss at all, but no need to post stupid shit for no reason either. I was politely telling you to stay at least nominally on topic or STFU, no one cares what you think about other posters it's pointless spam.

Moribund

A droglike
It was polite for the first 10 posts of that inane interaction but there's only so much "but why would I want to post on the actual topic you are talking about instead of say stupid insulting shit with no concent?" you can go through before realizing being polite won't get the job done.

Rake

Arcane
Apparently infinitron is a special person. The backers who are already torment fans are probably already going to back it. The only exception being people who doubt they can deliver on the story and/or who prefer TB games, like me. No one says "gosh I want rtwp game!" they said they wanted a game with a cool story like torment had. The ones who aren't torment fans you probably won't be getting anyway. It's pretty simple but then you already had several massive reading comprehension failures in this thread alone.

I'll say one last thing and leave it at that. You seem to think that the Torment fans who don't like RTwP won't donate, when most of them will donate anyway.
For the few who absolutelly can't stand RTwP, chances are they didn't play P:T at all, as i think DU didn't

Moribund

A droglike
Rake, I think it's true many or most Torment fans will donate regardless, but I also think most of them would prefer TB even if the original wasn't. Personally, I started the game when it came out then ragequit and didn't pick it up again until I found a placed called the codex and wondered why everyone was raving about this game that had been sitting in my drawer for several years. So I fired it up and found it was a great game aside from the somewhat shitty combat, which somehow came out even worse than BG. And that seems to be the general perception of the game.

That's why not only do I personally want TB but I think it would serve the people who are torment fans better even though the original wasn't. Theoretically there's people who like rtwp better and hate turn based AND are big torment fans but the game is 15 years old now and I have yet to see any so they can't be the majority. In spite of all the arguing with me no one here is stepping forward to say they hate TB and wouldn't want to see it in this torment spiritual successor, I just don't think there's many people like that who are also torment fans (if any).

The idea is not just to get the most money but to make the game that the people funding it will like the most, and I think TB would be better received by the people who are going to fund it.

Moribund

A droglike
And if Torment proves anything it's that making the best game possible will always benefit you more in the long run than anything else, which is why it should be as good as possible in every way they can. One classic is more than enough to make a career. I don't think PE is even shooting for classic, but I suspect not only Fargo is shooting for classic games but that he will very likely be successful in making them.

Zeriel

Arcane
I think anyone expecting a literal Torment 2--not in the sense of a direct sequel, but something with the exact same spirit and style--will be hugely disappointed. I am cautiously excited, though, primarily because I love sci-fi and if Numenera is a genuinely sci-fi tilted setting (which my Google search seems to indicate it is), I'm going to be in oh-god-its-heavan. There absolutely need to be more sci-fi RPGs that aren't shooters. Also hoping they avoid the pitfall of intentionally "deep" media that ends up being pretentious and off-putting. One of Torment's gifts was not hitting you over the head with its philosophical overtones, and even it had some sections where it came across as one of those eye-rollingly tedious college dorm weed discussions.

Rake

Arcane
In the Codex sure. But i have seen people in the Witcher and Bioware and Obsidian forums who love Torment but don't like TB combat. Which camp is the majoritty? I think the latter but i don't know, its just a guess. Maybe you are right, maybe not. I guess the backers will decide.

As an aside, if Torment had, lets say IWD2 combat, would you still say that its combat was crap? Noone denies that Planescape hadn't good combat. But i have played games with horrible TB as well. I don't believe either system is inherently good or flawed.
As for P:E not shooting to be a classic, define classic. For me the P:E shoots for BG3, and BG2 was as classic as it gets.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity

I'll say one last thing and leave it at that. You seem to think that the Torment fans who don't like RTwP won't donate, when most of them will donate anyway.
For the few who absolutelly can't stand RTwP, chances are they didn't play P:T at all, as i think DU didn't

As a Torment fan I just want to say I would donate if it was RTWP, just not as much.

Moribund

A droglike
In the Codex sure. But i have seen people in the Witcher and Bioware and Obsidian forums who love Torment but don't like TB combat. Which camp is the majoritty? I think the latter but i don't know, its just a guess. Maybe you are right, maybe not. I guess the backers will decide.

Well that's the first I've heard of it, but then again like I said if you don't like TB then why not go to something similar to witcher, bloodlines, deus ex etc.? Most people who don't like rtwp would prefer that. But we get back to the fact that there's already plenty of games in that style.

As an aside, if Torment had, lets say IWD2 combat, would you still say that its combat was crap? Noone denies that Planescape hadn't good combat. But i have played games with horrible TB as well. I don't believe either system is inherently good or flawed.
As for P:E not shooting to be a classic, define classic. For me the P:E shoots for BG3, and BG2 was as classic as it gets.
I didn't like IWD 2 much. 3.5 rules even half baked as they were are nice to play with. The combat itself seemed worse than BG or original IWD 2, because the encounter design was not as good and there was too much scripted behavior in pretty much every fight.

As far as not being a classic, seems like typical feargus slam dunk. Great art for the kickstarter then everything else seems lame. They say they want to make BG 3 spiritual successor but then they go on to dumb down the game system as much as possible, in my opinion. Not to get into that part again that's why I got my RPG watch redirection in the first place, but ultimately as far as I'm concerned Obsidian has never produced anything of value and I have zero trust for feargus. He just seems like typical MBA game exec who thinks he's going to be a million bajillionaire by simply doing exactly what the other big studios do, but he's about 20 years too late to get rewarded for being the first with the most. The people who make a good product that fills an untapped niche or have a good innovation or find a way to make people pay more readily (ala DLC and MMO) will be the next super successful guys.

Zeriel

Arcane
Just as an amusing aside:

New X-COM was turnbased, and its sales figures blow average RTWP games out of the water. The only RTWP game I can think of that would beat it is the Dragon Age series, and that's just Bioware selling buckets of whatever they produce.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Turn Based combat...the bane of people with actual shit to do in a day besides spending it killing trash mobs for hours on end. Yep, sounds like a great thing to go back to.

I, for one, can't WAIT to spend an hour going back and forth in between screens killing re-spawning rats for that extra 1 xp!

Zeriel

Arcane
People with shit to do are fine wasting their day reading blocks of text, but not playing a game?

/shrug

Darkforge

Augur
God fuckign dammit I am sick to fucking death of RTWP. make it completely real time (yes I said it) or just do turn based.
There is nothing wrong with turn based games and a hell of a lot that is right. If I want to play a fucking action game, I will go fucking play an action game...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Numenera isn't structured with an XP-per-kill system. That doesn't mean you can't get XP for combat resolutions, in fact I'm pretty sure you will, but in this system XP is situational, it's a reward system for challenges overcome. So let me rephrase: you get XP for kills, you just don't get XP for grinding. It's how Numnums works, as far as I know, and I see no reason for the game to diverge from that. I think Colin's said as much publicly but now I'm not so sure anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom