Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #14: Tony Evans On Combat, Vision Doc and HOLY CRAP Another Screenshot?!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Tony Evans; Torment: Tides of Numenera

I think I can safely say that we're all floored by today's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update. A second, prettier screenshot, really? Well played, inXile, well played. And that's not all. Torment's full vision document has been published, and there's also a new video featuring Tony Evans, who explains a bit about the contentious issue of the game's combat system.

Let's start with that screenshot, which depicts the city known as The Sagus Cliffs:

The city of Sagus Cliffs borders a large inland sea, winding its way down to the water through switchbacks and cutout caverns. The city is vast, both vertically and horizontally, exhibiting a wide variety of architectural styles as its layers were stacked upon each other across the ages. Some buildings are built out far over the water below, precariously holding through elaborate winches, pulleys, and wires. Some have no such support, practically hovering under their own power. But the old ways still hold – literally – sometimes clinging to the last scavenged beams on which they were originally erected, with bridges of coherent light helping to hold together the city’s economy. At the base of the cliff, the ocean crashes and swirls around the rubble of fallen houses, the city extending downward even here – with some structures diving beneath the waves.

Here's Tony Evans, talking about the team's vision for Torment's combat as he drives around town. Not sure how legal that is. In any case, he is suitably apologetic about Dragon Age 2:

And here's Torment's 26 page vision document. If you've been following all of the updates, then you're probably familiar with most of its contents (although there is some new information about the game's companions). If you haven't been following them, then now's the time to catch up! inXile's staff have also set up an accompanying vision page on the game's website, with links to all of the screenshots, concept art, videos and more.

In other news, with the campaign having reached 63,000 backers, the eighth Fathom of Castoff's Labyrinth has been unlocked. The Chris Avellone stretch goal has been achieved, to which Colin McComb has reacted with his characteristic subtlety:

There are also three new add-ons available. As before, two of them are "add-on exclusive" and are not part of any tier. There's a digital comic by Chris Avellone about one of Torment's characters, for 8 dollars, and a digital compilation of all three Torment comics (by Chris, Pat Rothfuss and Colin McComb/Adam Heine), for 14 dollars. The third add-on is for access to the game's alpha test. It costs 10 dollars, and requires beta testing access as a prerequisite, meaning that you must have also bought the beta testing add-on or pledged to a tier that includes beta testing. The alpha test is expected to take place sometime in 2014.

That's it for this update. Let's hope it kicks off an impressive final surge. Please feel free to express your excitement via our fundraiser!

likaq

Arcane
We plan to make each encounter interesting and unique
and to avoid so-called dungeon crawls and trash mobs.

MOTHERFUCKING FUCK YEAH!!!

No trash mobs = :incline:

Stabwound

Arcane
This game just sounds too good and way too ambitious.

I'm sure it will be good, but I expect to be a little disappointed. They promise the world in that vision document. :eek:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game just sounds too good and way too ambitious.

I'm sure it will be good, but I expect to be a little disappointed. They promise the world in that vision document. :eek:

No they don't. Unlike PS:T's vision document, this one doesn't promise hot babes. :decline: :P

Lancehead

Liturgist
Heh, Evans is saying what fans want to hear regarding the games he worked on.

Also, I still don't like them putting combat system to vote.

Stinger

Arcane
Now we're talking. That second screenshot looks far more interesting.

Gotta love it.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Tony's the best.

I worked with him for 8 years at Obsidian. When I met him, he already had talent and creativity to spare, but over time he developed excellent scope and team management skills too. He is also quite technical for a designer, capable of prototyping many game features all on his own. Tony being involved with Torment 2 should instill confidence.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik

From Vision Document:
Our plan is to come up with two or three high level designs, describe how we’d
implement them to achieve the above goals, explain what we see as the advantages of each, and then let
you, the backers, offer your input and insight
. Whatever we decide, we’ll make it great, ensuring that the
system delivers on the above promises.

hiver

Tony's the best.

I worked with him for 8 years at Obsidian. When I met him, he already had talent and creativity to spare, but over time he developed excellent scope and team management skills too. He is also quite technical for a designer, capable of prototyping many game features all on his own. Tony being involved with Torment 2 should instill confidence.
He also sounds very much like Mr. Mackey from South Park :lol:

And thats one cool dude, mkay?

Aslo, maybe a little bit of Austin Powers too.

Suicidal

Arcane
They certainly did save the best updates for last and the pledges are picking up.

Will be awesome if it surpasses P:E in funding considering this campaign is a couple days shorter than P:E's.

Lancehead

Liturgist

From Vision Document:
implement them to achieve the above goals, explain what we see as the advantages of each, and then let
you, the backers, offer your input and insight. Whatever we decide, we’ll make it great, ensuring that the
Well, that paragraph is a bit ambiguous as to the role of the backers in influencing that decision. I hope there won't be any Uservoice voting.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

From Vision Document:
you, the backers, offer your input and insight. Whatever we decide, we’ll make it great, ensuring that the
Well, that paragraph is a bit ambiguous as to the role of the backers in influencing that decision. I hope there won't be any Uservoice voting.

Fargo's been taking bullshit popamole input from publishers for years, whoring himself for a few shekels. I doubt that he'll take any such suggestions from backers unless it's just for some non-gameplay affecting window dressing as a salve to those who gripe that since they backed the project they have a god given right to have THEIR ideas implemented.

UmpOi.gif

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fuck it, they have my money. First time I pledge on a kickstarter. I didn't follow any of this shit for the last months, but this is it. MCA - you have my love, handle it well

I don't get why voting on a combat system sticks in your craw so much. They're going to design several systems, and then let the public pick what they want. All in all it will most likely be a TB system. Biodrones may clamor for RTwP but since the only tangible benefit of RTwP is its quick handling of trash mobs (which is a laughable benefit and not applicable to T:ToN), the benefits of TB will be soundly argued in many an internet flame war, and the side of logic and goodness shall prevail. :incline:

Captain Shrek

I don't get why voting on a combat system sticks in your craw so much. They're going to design several systems, and then let the public pick what they want. All in all it will most likely be a TB system. Biodrones may clamor for RTwP but since the only tangible benefit of RTwP is its quick handling of trash mobs (which is a laughable benefit and not applicable to T:ToN), the benefits of TB will be soundly argued in many an internet flame war, and the side of logic and goodness shall prevail. :incline:
I am not so sure. If you really think the comments/votes on uservoice matter you might find yourself vastly mistaken. Most of my friends who pledged for this game and visit/read vlogs/blogs on video games often, have never heard of the game ideas thing. And let me tell you, they are all for RTwP.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Love this update. I liked the first screenshot, especially the animated version, but they probably should've released this one first.

norolim

Arcane
Now, this is a fantastic update. Good screenshot, excellent video by Evans (he really grabbed my attention) and the vision doc to top it up. And immediately the effects are there: the pledges are flying in. Well done inXile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom