Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #33: Surprise Gameplay Video!

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks awesome indeed but why you guys have to schadenfreude PoE people? It not like RTwP and TB are religions of piece, one can enjoy games with both systems.
what kind of a mutated hybrid abomination is that?

:troll:

Black

Arcane
Looks awesome indeed but why you guys have to schadenfreude PoE people? It's not like RTwP and TB are religions of piece, one can enjoy games with both systems (not at the same time, Arcanum. No.)
True, one is the only true religion of ubermankind, the other is some Sesus bullshit.

Darkzone

Arcane
Looks awesome indeed but why you guys have to schadenfreude PoE people? It's not like RTwP and TB are religions of piece, one can enjoy games with both systems (not at the same time, Arcanum. No.)
Because Schadenfreude comes just after the Freude from satisfying the basic most primitive needs like feeding and sex. Any other Freuden need a sophisticated mind, which has a special higher form of needs, that needs to be satisfied. Like the need and the resulting Freude from good music, or sophisticated humor. Or even the Freude of a solving a complicated puzzle or reading an intriguing story. And what someone lacks in knowledge, the person substitutes through believes.
This belief system like any form of believe takes then a self identifying position / value, which if it is attacked, the person holding this believe, assumes as an attack towards himself. This can be observed in religions like christianity or islam.
So do not think about this schadenfreude. Many great tactical games had one or the other, sadly no game trying to do both at the same time made this good, but that proves not that it cannot be made.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
FuLc2Fb.gif
Dule-hill.gif

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
True, one is the only true religion of ubermankind, the other is some Sesus bullshit.
Do we have to choose one? I love TB, but i enjoyed IE games too (- BGI). Am i bicurious?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The struggle against RTwP has been ongoing for millennia. Here we observe Rameses II preparing to behead several agents of the decline who were discovered tolerating or condoning RTwP.

384c176af7.png

This is clearly the hieroglyph meaning "decline":

f2f938edb6.png

In this early representation of the line graph, the line can be seen sinking below the monocle (represented by the red sphere) and into an ocean of shit, demonstrating that everything is shit when the decline is allowed to flourish.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
yeah...the environments are low-rez, aren't they. and not nitpickily low-rez, like, "I feel like I should be squinting" low-rez. I mean, it's one of those things we'll stop noticing immediately if-and-when the game is worth it, but it's true that Torment was a genre landmark for lovingly detailed backdrop paintings.

yup, noticed this too. while obsidian uses high poly models to render their maps inxile uses game ready meshes with normal maps to fake details. at this level they don't even have to use pre-rendered backgrounds, but could use unity's 3d renderer with a fixed isometric camera perspective. it's a total waste of time, effort, and obsidian's "tech" research.
i don't really like the frame of the dialogue ui. i know that it somehow fits the theme, but it kinda feels too starcrafty for my taste. i do like the used space and arrangement of the ui though.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Really like the setting and art design. Implementation is pretty bad though. Atmosphere is still somehwta nice but textures are bad and the layout of the props just seems wrong.

Other then that it looks great, love the UI and I'm sure textures will be way sharper in the final release.

Darkzone

Arcane
Do we have to choose one? I love TB, but i enjoyed IE games too (- BGI). Am i bicurious?
As you see did Blaine successfully demonstrated, that the hatred against people who think different has a long and bloody tradition. And while the TBbelievers present only few good cases of good TB against the well established and recognized majority of good RTwP games, they constantly ignore this decisive majority to the point of losing any connection to reality. Like the christians the TBbelivers belive that they are the oppressed group that finally can through inXile and Larian be freed from the oppression of the RTwPractioners. And that the only hindrance for this free TB movement can be only a successful PoE, which endorses the values of RTwP.

To be honest i dislike the RTwP in the Baldur's Gate games, and enjoyed more a TB approach of Fallout 1 as a example. But this has nothing to do with the quality of the TB, which was very miserable, but has more to do with my drinking and smoking xxx habit. At a certain intoxication level, RTwP gets really exhausting too unplayable.

Thane Solus

Arcane
both are good, tho turn based in the execution of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 is the best "for me" (see what i did here?), i still remember how satisfying was to use you shotgun or some auto gun and see that awesome animation on crit, or planning every action point in the temple at my own pace. RTWP is not bad, i liked it in Baldurs Gate, Xcom Apoc (maybe because the turn based was shit there) and even in Fallout Tactics, but that's my subjective opinion (how dare you?!!!). Oh wait! we re on Codex, we must all pretend we like one mechanic and hate the other, while faping on games with bubs made for console kids, see Volourn and other magnificent specimens.

btw, looks good. will see later if they can sell some joysticks and characters at 200$ a pop so Blaine can get his freak on (11/10):

:troll:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Crispy Tormenty as fuck
:thumbsup:

They certainly got the feel of the game right,will have to see about the rest

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice video. Really nice. :incline:
Also, I really liked the voice acting; don't know why some have a problem with it.
Only thing I noticed was the water, which looks a bit plastic-ish.
But that aside, consider me satisfied.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and recognized majority of good RTwP games

:lol: Recognized by whom?
There aren't even that many RTwP games to even consider them an established type of game. RTwP is like the deformed child that instead of being kept forever in the cellar and beaten with a chair leg is instead sometimes paraded around the town to the disgust of the elite and the cheers of the plebs.

Last edited:

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
RTWP is a footnote (or shitstain) on the history of RPGs. There are barely any within that subgenre and it's mediocre developers who adhere to it (mostly Bioware and Obsidian Little Bioware when it comes to AAA games). The number of turn based and action based real time games dwarfs this crap by an enormous margin.

Rake

Arcane
RTWP is a footnote (or shitstain) on the history of RPGs. There are barely any within that subgenre and it's mediocre developers who adhere to it (mostly Bioware and Obsidian Little Bioware when it comes to AAA games). The number of turn based and action based real time games dwarfs this crap by an enormous margin.
Pity most of them are shit though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are a handful of good cRPGs featuring good RTwP combat—the Icewind Dales, the Baldur's Gates, Darklands, arguably Dragon Age (nothing special in my view, but Codexers seem to accept it as worthwhile), possibly NWN and NWN 2 depending on expansions/mods. Planescape was a good game with mediocre RTwP. KotOR and KotOR II had popamole combat but are worth an honorable mention.

Most of these games would have been further improved by a proper turn-based combat implementation.

On the other hand, there are tons of good cRPGs featuring turn-based combat, including Betrayal at Krondor, the best of the SSI Gold Box games, numerous dungeon crawlers and blobbers (Wizardry, Might and Magic, Realms of Arkania... perhaps you've heard of them), the best of the Spiderweb Software games, ToEE, and lately Divinity: Original Sin. In terms of good games with merely passable combat, various Ultimas, Wasteland, Fallout, and Fallout 2 spring to mind, as does Arcanum. Arcanum's combat was actually garbage but, being Arcanum, it gets a pass. If we expand past "pure" cRPGs we find the almighty X-COM and Jagged Alliance, with systems that could easily have been part of a cRPG (unlike, say, 4X strategy games). Newer entries like Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall, Expeditions Conquistador, and today's just-released Wasteland 2 are debatable.

Darkzone

Arcane
First religious act of a True Believer is denial of the opposite that his religion preaches.
Let us take a look at the list of the Top 50+ cRPG list of the RPGCodex as a base. Because an RT RPGs needs some computing power, and that is only given at a certain timepoint. So we can only use the games post-1995. Yes i know that there have been RPGs with RT before 1995.
List of any form of RT RPGs:
PST, Baldur's Gate I and II, The Elder Scrolls I and II and III and IV, F:3, F:NV, Vampire:TMB, Gothic I and II and III, Deus Ex I and II and III , Dark Souls I and II, System Shock I and II, The Witcher I and II, Icewind Dale I and II. Dragon Age I and II, Arx Fatalis, Risen I and II and III, Divine Divinity I and II, Wizzard & Warriors, Drankensang, Alpha Protocol. And nearly any MMORPG.
Number of Games: 35+

List of any form of TB RPGs:
Fallout I and II, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Wizardry 8, Might and Magic VI and VII, Geneforge, DOS, South Park:SoT, Herioine's Quest, KotC, Vampire:TMR, SRR, Wasteland 2. And nearly any JRPGs and likes (FF series Anachronox etc).
Number of Games: 14+

List of RPGs with both systems:
Arcanum.

List of games that i would not call RPGs, but from a certain view they would deserve this:
Jagged Allience I and II, Mount & Blade, Mass Effect I and II and III, Skyrim, Diablo, Fallout Tactics, the X-Com / Ufo series.

RT vs TB ratio: 2:1

A Realistic True wideminded Practitioner would state that both systems can be good or bad, depending on the implementation.
To be a fan of a certain genre might be a good thing, but to be a religious zealot is always a bad thing. I prefer TB, but i also recognise and have my fun with RT games. And i love the 80s games, like: the SSI games, BT, or the Ultima series.
So i do not argue for a specific system, but for keeping the mind open and enjoy both systems.

KotOR I and II, NWN I and II were RT? In my memories they are TB, but my memories can be flawed.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
There are a handful of good cRPGs featuring good RTwP combat—the Icewind Dales, the Baldur's Gates, Darklands, arguably Dragon Age (nothing special in my view, but Codexers seem to accept it as worthwhile), possibly NWN and NWN 2 depending on expansions/mods. Planescape was a good game with mediocre RTwP. KotOR and KotOR II had popamole combat but are worth an honorable mention.

Most of these games would have been further improved by a proper turn-based combat implementation.

On the other hand, there are tons of good cRPGs featuring turn-based combat, including Betrayal at Krondor, the best of the SSI Gold Box games, numerous dungeon crawlers and blobbers (Wizardry, Might and Magic, Realms of Arkania... perhaps you've heard of them), the best of the Spiderweb Software games, ToEE, and lately Divinity: Original Sin. In terms of good games with merely passable combat, various Ultimas, Wasteland, Fallout, and Fallout 2 spring to mind, as does Arcanum. Arcanum's combat was actually garbage but, being Arcanum, it gets a pass. If we expand past "pure" cRPGs we find the almighty X-COM and Jagged Alliance, with systems that could easily have been part of a cRPG (unlike, say, 4X strategy games). Newer entries like Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall, Expeditions Conquistador, and today's just-released Wasteland 2 are debatable.
I'm not arguing the games as a whole as this is irrelevent to the discussion. I'm talking about the combat (system and encounter design). And the percentage of good RTwP combat is higher than the TB one. Granted, there are way more TB games than RTwP, but in my opinion good TB combat in RPGs is as rare, if not more rare, than good RTwP.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
First religious act of a True Believer is denial of the opposite that his religion preaches.
Let us take a look at the list of the Top 50+ cRPG list of the RPGCodex as a base. Because an RT RPGs needs some computing power, and that is only given at a certain timepoint. So we can only use the games post-1995. Yes i know that there have been RPGs with RT before 1995.

You are being ridiculous by conflating both RTWP and regular real time, action games. Games like Dark Souls are far more enjoyable than the average RTWP tripe. I have *nothing* against real time. RTWP on the other hand..
Games that were meant to be played real time without interruptions are nothing like the trash that comes from Bioware and Obsidian. This isn't RT vs TB (which favor dramatically different game styles), this is RTWP vs TB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom