Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment Kickstarter Update #52: New Mark Morgan Track, Circus Minor Screenshot

Delbaeth

Learned
Make the Codex great again, go back to the Watch.

I am not even sure that the Watch would make a such mess.

Fry

Arcane
Gesamtkunstwerk

At the last minute I decided against blinding myself. Tragically, my eyes have now rolled so far back into my head they're glued to my frontal lobe.

Have you considered sending a writing sample to Kotaku?

Doktor Best

Arcane
He was just copypasting mrbtongue. I get the concept, but i dont think something that minor like some misplaced cobblestones could hurt the overall integrity of the gamedesign. There are so many much more important things to get right. Heck, planescape was a consistent piece of art despite the fact that combat sucked major asshole.

Darkzone

Arcane
He was just copypasting mrbtongue. I get the concept, but i dont think something that minor like some misplaced cobblestones could hurt the overall integrity of the gamedesign. There are so many much more important things to get right. Heck, planescape was a consistent piece of art despite the fact that combat sucked major asshole.
I recommend to you "Das Kunstwerk der Zukunft" and "Oper und Drama" from W.R.Wagner. But yes i have watched the video from mrbtongue and i also agree with him on this topic, or at least he has spoken with his argumentation to my previous knowledge. And perhaps because of the intersection i liked mrbtongue's videos so much.

kris

Arcane
Autismtrain is rolling again? What will be next? Game is shit because people with wigs look like people with normal hair? Guys, seriously, get a fucking grip of yourself.

No u. Seriously, noone is telling the developers to kill themselves, they are pointing out something that could be improved. Either the developers listen to it or they dont. I dont see this as an serious issue, but I do think it is lazy. You are just an apologist that seems to not care about quality.

If they post a screenshot then they should brace themselves for critisizm. simple as. React to it? Whatever.

Fry

Arcane
Criticism is expected and desired. Silly nitpicking combined with pontificating on the nature of art is... tedious.

With an actual beta hand, hopefully the discussion will find substance next week.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
With an actual beta at hand, hopefully the discussion will find substance next week.
All those "critics" here will find that the new Torment is somehow "lacking" in any random department and is therefore a total failure in their watchful critics eyes, and whoever doesn't see it their way is a mental fanboy, and Unity sucks, and Mark Morgan is too unoriginal etc etc. It'll all be there, I can't wait for the beta.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That stuff is superficial, though. I'm curious to see how many people will just not like the game's writing. Bland/boring/too verbose/I just don't care/reminds me of PoE/etc.

Athelas

Arcane
I suspect the most common descriptors in that discussion will be (the lack of) 'soul', 'heart' and 'blues'.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Silly nitpicking combined with pontificating on the nature of art is... tedious.
I may feel otherwise when it actually happens, but at least right now I'm actually interested in having a bunch of people nitpick the writing I did. (Although perhaps, as Infinitron suggests, comments will stop at "too verbose.") It's not that common to have a large number of people scrutinize your work, especially when there's still time / ability to do something to fix it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
soundtrack by sun ra

I'm not sure if any RPG developer would be that adventurous, although I'd certainly like to see somebody try.

Actually, it'll be fascinating to see how Torment's attempt to simultaenously appeal to PST fans, Numenera fans, and the wider RPG market will be reflected in the final design. This could go horribly wrong in many exciting ways.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not really. A lot of RPGs have much higher completion rates, just check steam achievement stats and see for yourself.

Those are action games. D:OS and PoE's completion rates are comparable to Blackguards's and Hard West's.

Fairfax

Arcane
I may feel otherwise when it actually happens, but at least right now I'm actually interested in having a bunch of people nitpick the writing I did. (Although perhaps, as Infinitron suggests, comments will stop at "too verbose.") It's not that common to have a large number of people scrutinize your work, especially when there's still time / ability to do something to fix it.
So you wrote stuff that's in this beta? Let us know what specifically, I'm sure a lot of people will nitpick it for you. :M
Those are action games. D:OS and PoE's completion rates are comparable to Blackguards's and Hard West's.
Pretty selective comparison.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So you wrote stuff that's in this beta? Let us know what specifically, I'm sure a lot of people will nitpick it for you.
To be honest, I'm not sure what the etiquette in this arena is with indentifying one's own work. I can see if it's permissible. Though I guess if it has dense, boring text with obscure words, you can hazard it's my doing.

Fairfax

Arcane
So you wrote stuff that's in this beta? Let us know what specifically, I'm sure a lot of people will nitpick it for you.
To be honest, I'm not sure what the etiquette in this arena is with indentifying one's own work. I can see if it's permissible. Though I guess if it has dense, boring text with obscure words, you can hazard it's my doing.
I know you're just being cautious, but that's a very...vague definition for a game like this. :lol:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I know you're just being cautious, but that's a very...vague definition for a game like this. :lol:
It is apparently kosher to share, but because a specific identification of the writing would reveal content from the beta, I'll hold off until it's released.

Fairfax

Arcane
It is apparently kosher to share, but because a specific identification of the writing would reveal content from the beta, I'll hold off until it's released.
:greatjob:

Trip

Learned
MRY Pity I won't be able to make the Beta run. I'd happily nitpick stuff for you :)
But yes, it would be a more meaningful discussion, for this game at least.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I mean ofcourse we are not getting the exotic surreal dreamlike moebius fantastic experience we all want, like pic related, buts its looking good for what it is.

Snip..

And the problem is? I mean very few people would like to play assylum pacient games. In any case prosper land is the thing you are looking for.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
its looking good for what it is.
you say this like it's not a bad thing. "What it is" is a spiritual successor to what is generally considered one of the best CRPGs of all time. It shouldn't look like there's no real art direction and it certainly shouldn't look like some patched together facsimile of a bg2 map. Check your fucking standards.

FFS. It is a city built upon city, it should be/feel displaced, awkward and parts of it not fitting the general setting. Check you brain. Again go prosper land folks, lets not forget about its existence.

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Looks interesting. We shall see.
Honestly, I think it will be a :d1p: anyway, but who knows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom