Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #53: Beta Released

mastroego

Arcane
What was possible 20 years ago on PC is possible today, only more so.
Stardock's CEO also tried to argue that his fucking FANTASY 4x game could only handle one single fucking race (humans) because of "technical reasons".
Exactly the same thing I'm reading today.
Guess what, Elemental was shit.
And a buggy mess, too, despite using a single race.

Developers may utter all the nonsense they want, but we're not under contract to believe it.
Well, maybe someone around these part is, but it's not my case.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
I'm not under contract to accept any bullshit either. I pledged $300 to this game, and with God as my witness, I'll complain about shit stuff like niggers and trannies or whatever in case I don't like it, even if I have to burn through Irenaeus IV to IX to get it through. If I don't approve this, I promise I'll be the Red Death masque of InXile.

Fuck Jews

Prime Junta

Pretty sure the information given to the player is not the pivotal point of the story and discovery of mysteries etc.

I think the focus of the story lies elsewhere than the introduction, which only serves to lay the very basic groundwork and foundation of the story unfolding over the next 30-40 hours.
I got no problem knowing abit about what I am, OR what I *THINK* i am, or what others *THINK* I am.

Nothing should be taken at face value this early in the story.

Regarding the companions, sure, they might seem abit bland early on, but give them room and time to develop.

There's also an option to disregard any help from any of the two companions at the start.

fargofanboy.png

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Pretty sure the information given to the player is not the pivotal point of the story and discovery of mysteries etc.

I think the focus of the story lies elsewhere than the introduction, which only serves to lay the very basic groundwork and foundation of the story unfolding over the next 30-40 hours.
I got no problem knowing abit about what I am, OR what I *THINK* i am, or what others *THINK* I am.

Nothing should be taken at face value this early in the story.

Regarding the companions, sure, they might seem abit bland early on, but give them room and time to develop.

There's also an option to disregard any help from any of the two companions at the start.

fargofanboy.png

And you're just a pessimist hater. So we're even, then. Seriously, though. Take off the rose tinted glasses.

Mortmal

Arcane
Daedalos, the beta is the entire first ~40% of the game. Of course it's full of spoilers.

(This is going to be just like the Wasteland 2 beta days again, isn't it)
40% of the game ? Now you got me worried, i expect people will hide that stuff into spoiler tags and not make threads with huge spoilers titles like they did for fallout 4. Thats especially bad if its really a story heavy game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Doesn't Numenera have other species?

Yes, yes it does. The source books have a loot of good stuff which makes it pretty disappointing that the first things they show are some boring banal looking humans with equally boring bios. Is this supposed to make me interested in playing a Torment successor?
It's not even about non-human species. The core book includes options like biomechanical people rewritten by engineered viruses, people with a nervous system laced with circuitry and jacks and ports on their bodies, products of generations of eugenics, bolstered with cybernetic enhancements and psychic abilities, posthumans, mutants of all kinds, people existing partially out of phase, people covered in ice or flames etc. (not to mention exotic tattoos and embedded crystals and weird hair/beard styles and shit like that) -- again, all of these are considered 'human' system-wise. You don't really need non-human species to have characters that look much much more interesting and unique than plain old Lando Calrissian here. I mean just look at some of these intriguing-looking, sexy human motherfuckers:

dGq0hqH.jpg

Z1imK4s.jpg

46YIh3q.jpg

98JKDqv.jpg

WWtikRV.jpg

And yes, I get that Tybir is supposed to be a baseline of sorts.

Yeah, of course, I didn't mean specifically non-humanoids.
Hell, I suppose Annah and FFG don't look particularly interesting either (though at least they don't look fully human) so maybe there's more to these characters than meets the eye.
If at some point Tybir's head opens up and there's a small alien dude inside controlling him we could have something.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Daedalos, the beta is the entire first ~40% of the game. Of course it's full of spoilers.

40% of the game ? Now you got me worried, i expect people will hide that stuff into spoiler tags and not make threads with huge spoilers titles like they did for fallout 4. Thats especially bad if its really a story heavy game.

The Sorrow is Han Solo's son with Lando Calrissian!

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Doesn't Numenera have other species?

Yes, yes it does. The source books have a loot of good stuff which makes it pretty disappointing that the first things they show are some boring banal looking humans with equally boring bios. Is this supposed to make me interested in playing a Torment successor?
It's not even about non-human species. The core book includes options like biomechanical people rewritten by engineered viruses, people with a nervous system laced with circuitry and jacks and ports on their bodies, products of generations of eugenics, bolstered with cybernetic enhancements and psychic abilities, posthumans, mutants of all kinds, people existing partially out of phase, people covered in ice or flames etc. (not to mention exotic tattoos and embedded crystals and weird hair/beard styles and shit like that) -- again, all of these are considered 'human' system-wise. You don't really need non-human species to have characters that look much much more interesting and unique than plain old Lando Calrissian here. I mean just look at some of these intriguing-looking, sexy human motherfuckers:

dGq0hqH.jpg

Z1imK4s.jpg

46YIh3q.jpg

98JKDqv.jpg

WWtikRV.jpg

And yes, I get that Tybir is supposed to be a baseline of sorts.

Yeah, of course, I didn't mean specifically non-humanoids.
Hell, I suppose Annah and FFG don't look particularly interesting either (though at least they don't look fully human) so maybe there's more to these characters than meets the eye.
If at some point Tybir's head opens up and there's a small alien dude inside controlling him we could have something.

29bt51.jpg

Fairfax

Arcane

Not sure it's that much. MCA's companion is supposed to be recruited in Sagus Cliffs but he's not in the beta, for example.

Fry

Arcane
I'm not under contract to accept any bullshit either. I pledged $300...

Come on, you're just trolling now. I mean, no one's dumb enough to dump $300 into a game without doing a bit of research into the setting to see if it's likely to trigger their intense racism... right?

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter

Come on, you're just trolling now. I mean, no one's dumb enough to dump $300 into a game without doing a bit of research into the setting to see if it's likely to trigger their intense racism... right?

What's racism, you mean anti-whiteness? I was sold on the name Torment and Brian Fargo (and the others), not Cultural Marxism.

sPdErkT.jpg

:takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney:

Prime Junta

To be fair, almost everyone in the Numenera sourcebook art is white. When I made the character utility I snipped portrait art from there, and apart from one guy who looked like a drow (white hair, pitch-black skin, Caucasian features) and one who looked like a female robot made from dark metal, there was exactly one portrait who looked like his grandpa might have been black. So someone assuming that the Ninth World is an Aryan paradise isn't altogether unreasonable.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
I read the book (I have it) and I don't remember reading anything that TRIGGERED my NAZI RACISM GAS KIKES RACE WAR NOW.

Thus, I can blame everything I dislike on Fargo and his crew, particularly the sea and CMcC twins duo.

uaciaut

Augur
pstcompanions3gsiz.jpg

Why couldn't they do crazier stuff like PS:T? Doesn't Numenera have other species?

I can imagine how Codex would react if these were used for Numenera or any other new/kickstarted game:
"Wow generic buff dude with bones over his crotch, probably romance interest"
"Awesome smiley with a skull, clearly they're on top of creativity with this one"
"Check on the skimpily dressed chick with a tail, 10$ says you can romance her, maybe you can romance the tail separately"
"Maniacal guy who is also on fire because they're obviously tired of using the same colours over and over"

The robot and the pious looking succubus would probably be the less picked-on images in the lot but they'd still be torn to pieces.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't The Nameless One basically an ironic appropriation of a Robert E. Howard protagonist or something? I mean, he's a club-swinging barbarian in a loincloth. It's a bit weird that people call that "original" because it's sort of the point that it isn't original.

Last edited:

uaciaut

Augur
It certainly isn't crazy in any way. Not to say that the three portraits in the OP are any good, the Lionel Richie looking guy is hilarious and the cabaret woman(potential tranny?) looks weird too but it's not something to whine about and it certainly doesn't make or break the game much in the way Planescape's portraits didn't.
It's just the majority of codex that tries to whine about every little flaw a game might have while pushing forward old content that also had its flaws but since it's general consensus that old games were cool it means every little aspect must have been fucking flawless.
I mean even the fucking colours in Planescape were perfect!!!11

Fairfax

Arcane
99% of the time there's no such thing as an original look for a character. Still, TNO was definitely unusual for a protagonist. Still is, actually. Him and the rest of the party deserve praised for the whole package, not just the visuals.
The thing about TTON companions is that they played it safe with the looks.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Wasn't The Nameless One basically an ironic appropriation of a Robert E. Howard protagonist or something? I mean, he's a club-swinging barbarian in a loincloth. It's a bit weird that people call that "original" because it's sort of the point that it isn't original.

Except there's much more to him than that (and I don't mean stuff you discover throughout the course of the whole game but right off the bat), TNO is basically a sentient walking dead that suffers from amnesia, grey in color and covered with scars and tattoos. If that doesn't qualify as unique/original especially as far as RPGs go, I don't what does.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh, boy. Tumblr, the RPG. What were they thinking with the art style? Just... fuck. Another series raped.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Oh, boy. Tumblr, the RPG. What were they thinking with the art style? Just... fuck. Another series raped.

Wrong thread bro, you want the UnderTale thread. It's down the road, make a right then go straight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom