Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #6: Meres, Castoff's Labyrinth and Brian Mitsoda!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I came into this topic feeling pleasant and enthusiastic about having more updates. Even had to smile after watching Colin's video and Jaesun's expected/welcomed cheerleading. Then I started reading on and a frown began forming when Hiver started his usual bitching and babbling. Then a newfag showed up and started graphic whoring ignorantly. Then the usual asswipes show up to pointlessly argue with him and drag it on. Now I'm feeling upset and signing out of Codex to avoid reading anymore of this dumb shit.

The Aristocrats!

jewboy

Arbiter
Well technically I'm not actually a newfag. I originally joined in July 2004, but I forgot my password to that account and probably used a fake email address when I joined. So I wasn't able to reset it. It's always nice to think that people are signing out of the codex because of me. So flattering. Codexians can be so sweet sometimes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well technically I'm not actually a newfag. I originally joined in July 2004, but I forgot my password to that account and probably used a fake email address when I joined. So I wasn't able to reset it. It's always nice to think that people are signing out of the codex because of me. So flattering. Codexians can be so sweet sometimes.

What's the account name? Maybe we can help. Send it via the "Contact Us" link at the top.

MasPingon

Arcane
Well technically I'm not actually a newfag. I originally joined in July 2004

human-evolution2-e1295574905558.jpg

but I forgot my password to that account and probably used a fake email address when I joined. So I wasn't able to reset it. It's always nice to think that people are signing out of the codex because of me. So flattering. Codexians can be so sweet sometimes.
evolution.jpg

Murk

Arcane
Can someone who is learned in the ways of visual media explain to me the color theme/palette in those Crasher images? That strange not-quite-cell-shaded-but-sort-of look of somewhat cartoony colors that seem to be drawn on a soft base? I have no education in that field so I do not know the language to be used but I see it quite often in games now, and even in some capacity in movies (the latest Judge Dredd for instance looked like it was shot through the hipstomatic app).

Anyway? Enlighten an bro. Or link me to an explanation, or give me the key words to look up -- I do not even know what (I do not know) to call it.

Murk

Arcane
With that, I am familiar. Though perhaps I am unfamiliar with how it is used -- the above has that "color tint" but not quite the same effect as in the crasher screenshots.

Planetside 2 is another game that has that effect I mention:

Or perhaps it's just a pure stylization that happens to be relatively common? It's as if everything is drawn with pastel, or rather, modeled onto lumps of clay. This lack of crispness that older 3d had.

401469374_1356796749.jpg

hiver

I came into this topic feeling pleasant and enthusiastic about having more updates. Even had to smile after watching Colin's video and Jaesun's expected/welcomed cheerleading. Then I started reading on and a frown began forming when Hiver started his usual bitching and babbling.
Im so sorry i made you stop feeling all pleasant and enthusiastic.

There is a guy calling for censorship of all updates so i cant see anything that may be worthy of talking about. Maybe you could join him and give him a few votes.

After all, what are we here for but to clap our hands and go all wooooo happily, protect the "artistic vision" of the devs by bitching about anyone who might disagree or isnt appropriately enthusiastic and doesnt applaud fast enough.
(this is referring to ass defect and its "fans" of course)

Syl

Cipher
Whether the Unity renderer can do as well as the 3D Studio Max 4 renderer is another question entirely.
My, I can't believe how clueless you are about 3D (or you're just trolling).

The Unity engine can render anything (like that picture you posted) but not in realtime. 'Realtime' means the engine must draw at least 30 images per second. That is 33ms per image at best. Take that wireframe model, import it into Unity and render it in 30ms and you'll end up with something that looks like the Wasteland 2 video.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So as I understand it the reason why people are asking for 2D backgrounds is because, essentially, Unity sucks. Badly. If that's the case then how about switching to a better engine for a stretch goal. Maybe Unigine:
We already had this discussion when W2 decided to use Unity, and seen unity videos on youtube which look just as good (more or less).
Its just that unity is free thus used by prospers and indie devs a lot, which means the majority of games made with it look crappy. The engine itself is not to blame though, which many fail to understand, but the hands which use it. It does have problems of course, just like any other game engine, but in general its more than decent.
Also, people complain because they want to, its mostly irrational and subjective. 2d, tb, romances... nothing more than personal fetishes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Being rewarded for FAILING. LAME!

If you die you should FUKKIN' STAY DEAD! FUCK YEAH!!!

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
How does Unity compare to Unigine? And what do you think about just going all 2D by using photorealistic pre-rendered sprites instead of real time rendered 3D models?

i don't know unigine good enough to compare those two. there's also no real point in comparing them when unity has everything you want as a developer. pre-rendered sprites instead of 3d models is the worst shit ever if we're talking about characters. rendering animations, different angles, equipment, effects... that's a waste of time and resources and a buttload of files. the 3d models and their animations are tiny compared to thousands of different sprites for just one character.

Or perhaps it's just a pure stylization that happens to be relatively common? It's as if everything is drawn with pastel, or rather, modeled onto lumps of clay. This lack of crispness that older 3d had.

that's mostly because of the chamfered edges and that everybody is copying each other and their style.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I wouldn't mind 2d-pre-rendered-characters on 3d-background. :dance:

Well actually, what they should do is make it 2,5D like Soubringer.

40587_full.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Stone of Recall"

You assume I approve of the SOR which i don't do. But, at least yous till got punished for using that piece of crap.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I wouldn't mind 2d-pre-rendered-characters on 3d-background. :dance:

Well actually, what they should do is make it 2,5D like Soubringer.

40587_full.jpg
that is seriously the worst fucking kind of graphics next to pure 90s playstation-era 3d graphics (e.g. Tekken)

hiver

Dont tempt him any more people!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom