Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #61: Release Date - February 28th, 2017

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

inXile's Chris Keenan published a brief Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update today announcing that yes, Torment finally has a release date - February 28th, 2017.

Hello Exiles,

Today's update is a little on the short side, but I think you'll forgive us this time…

We are extremely excited to announce that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be releasing February 28th, 2017! It has been a long journey, and without your help on Kickstarter it would never have happened. We could not be happier to be delivering a successor to the Torment name and legacy, and we look forward to you enjoying it early next year.

When the game releases, those of you who already have your Steam keys redeemed for the beta version of the game will auto-update to the final build, and those of you who are planning to enjoy the game DRM-free from GOG will be able to as soon as that version is ready. We will also make a key exchange option available around that time for those of you who want to deactivate your Steam key and switch to GOG. At that point, most of the remaining digital rewards will also be made available to you.

For those of you with physical goods, we'll be prompting you to confirm your final shipping information in the near future. We do not have an exact shipping timeline for those goods just yet, but Techland is hard at work getting them ready for you as soon as possible. Please be sure to keep us advised of any changes by updating your shipping details on the Torment backer web site!

Rest assured that while we have our release date, that doesn't mean our work is quite done yet. We'll be using our remaining time to polish the game for you up to the last possible moment. And of course, once we get closer to release we'll have more news to share with you as well.

Chris Keenan,
    VP of Development​

When the game is released, it will have been just under four years since the Kickstarter campaign was launched. Most of the prominent Kickstarted games released thus far have been rushed to one degree or another. They definitely won't have that excuse this time. It's great news, but I wonder what's going on with that final beta update they mentioned last time?

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 4
    • meh meh x 3
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Eh, sure. But when will the final content update for the Enhanced Edition be released?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Marten Broadcloak Learned

Marten Broadcloak
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    If a kickstarted CRPG is less than three years late, I'm not playing it.

• Funny Funny x 7
    ^ Top  
  4. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    :mca::cmcc::ziets:

Yes!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    Until they prove that they can succeed at something:

"...and not a single fuck was given that day."

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Saunders. McComb. Heine. Avellone. Ziets.

• Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You could also play the beta to see if the game is good. +M

It's so funny that it has fewer owners on Steamspy than people who backed the Kickstarter. People outright refusing to activate their keys.

• meh meh x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Rean Instructor Patron

Rean
    Or there's a lot of GOGfags.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    Nowadays beta lasts 12 months after the release. I have it, but I just don't want to play a pre-alpha.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Fans are so excited about this once-in-a-generation game that they want to avoid spoiling it by playing an incomplete beta!

:pangloss:

• Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I will activate it once the director's cut goes live on whichever service it was I chose (can't recall).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I see what you did there.

It's entirely possible that this game is going to be a commercial disappointment, just like Planescape was. Lots of people on the Codex have developed this idea that inXile is "Brian Fargo popamole", not noticing that they've clearly been the nichiest of the big three Kickstarter devs. Wasteland 2 with 7 character party, dozens of skills, turn-based combat, a wall of text Torment game, and a frigging blobber.

Is Wasteland 3 a betrayal, or do inXile have no choice but to escape the niche they've found themselves buried in (which hasn't even gotten them much credit from the RPG Codex)?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 7
    • Interesting x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm struggling to drum up any enthusiasm for this. I backed it enormously and ostentatiously but haven't even got far into Wasteland 2 yet. I'll have no problem waiting until the final release in a couple of years. Plus, after what they did to poor trusting Infinitron Fargo and his gang are on my shit list until they prove inXile is more than a cynical money making exercise.

Edit: Infinitron pre-emptively smacked me down. :(

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Release on February 28th; patched and feature-complete on February 29th.

• Funny x 5
    • Creative x 4
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Grimoire is feature complete. :M

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. mitochondritom Educated

mitochondritom
    I have purposefully avoided the whole Early Access beta bollocks because this game was billed as a Torment successor with a huge focus on story. I wan't to experience it as a whole and not some crappy half done act 1 type deal. I could understand with Pillars perhaps, where there was perhaps less focus on the plot (wasn't their beta area Dryfood Village?) but here, I am happy to stay blind.

Having not really followed this game's updates I was surprised to see its now over 2 years late "Est Delivery 2014". The recent trailers make it look janky as all hell so I hope it turns out OK. I am basically their dream customer in that I loved Planescape Torment and I like the Numenera Setting, but even I am a little wary of it. I have a strong feeling that this game will be received quite tepidly, much like PST I guess.

^ Top  
  18. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    At last. Roqua to review the console version?

^ Top  
  19. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    You know who Infinitron has picked.

• it is a mystery x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    This prompted me to pull up the contemporaneous reviews PS:T got from mainstream commercial reviewers, and it's actually striking to me how much they nailed it.

Though this from Eurogamer made me laugh out loud:
    Asheron's Call! That said, the Eurogamer review does make some sensible points, along with some silly ones ("And you will find yourself dying a lot, because the game is bloody hard!" "It's also a little disappointing that the game has no multiplayer support.").

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. mitochondritom Educated

mitochondritom
    I seem to remember that PC Zone and PC Gamer (uk) weren't exactly glowing with praise on release. I can't find a digitised copy of the reviews but I think it was sort of compared to the BG games and not in a favourable way.

Planescape: Torment actually passed me by as a 12 year old because even though I loved Baldurs Gate, the CGI trailer for PT on one of the BG discs was so fucking strange I had no idea what it was supposed to be. It made it seem like the entire game was about the Lady of Pain and a first person shooter or something. My friend at school gave me the game because he bought it thinking it had something to do with Descent or Quake based on that trailer and then immediately dumped it when he realised what it was. My first playthrough was predictably as a high Str, Con and Dex Fighter so I obviously got a lot out of it and it was only years later when I was at university did I replay it and realised how good it was.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Ah, the typical template review.

durr too hard
    hurr no multiplayer

No matter the kind of game, no matter how inappropriate, the rats in the guise of gaming journalists must follow the same path.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Keep in mind Eurogamer was founded in the same year, they weren't relevant yet. The mainstream outlets like GameSpot, IGN, GamePro, PC Gamer, and Computer Games all gave glowing reviews.
    Also, the game didn't sell poorly like most people think. According to Scott Warner, it did better than Fallout:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    The "PS:T sold well" thing is now accepted wisdom, but my understanding is that while it may have been profitable, it underperformed hopes and expectations. BG and BG2 were both like 2 million copies, the expansions were both close to a million[1], and what I can find suggests that Icewind Dale also did better[2].

Here is one useful-ish data point from Desslock in 2000:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    I don't know if IWD sold more, but it was cheap and quick to develop, and Sawyer said it had a better ROI than PS:T because of it. The PC Data numbers are the main reason the game got the "cult classic, commercial failure" status.
    Their BG numbers were wrong by a lot, for example. According to BioWare, Tales of the Sword Coast sold 600k at launch, but the list above gives it 156k up to March 2000. No doubt PS:T was off by a lot as well.

As for expectations, we don't know how much they were expecting, but pre-order numbers were looking good:
    The game was also hurt by the fact it missed the holiday season in Europe and came out in December in the US. Baldur's Gate was unusual in how successful it was just days before Christmas, but it sold most copies in 1999 or later due to word of mouth, reviews, awards, the expansion, the sequel, etc. They didn't make the same mistake afterwards, and ToSC, BG2 and ToB were all released well ahead of the holiday season.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top