Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #8: George Ziets Video, Pat Rothfuss Stretch Goal, and much more

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Today's Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update comes almost a week after the previous one, but it's more than juicy enough to compensate. As in previous updates, I'll go over its contents one-by-one.

George Ziets has contributed an episode to the ongoing series of videos describing Torment's design. This episode focuses on the nature of the Numenera setting and on the dangerous habitat known as The Bloom.

Another thing that George reveals in this video is the existence of a female Jack companion who it seems will be guiding the player character in the earlier stages of the game. This companion is going to receive her own digital comic book, which has been added as a reward to the $50 and $75 and up tiers. You can view a hypothetical sample page from the comic book here.

The Kickstarter has reached 51,000 backers, which means the third Fathom of Castoff's Labyrinth has been unlocked. There are also three new stretch goals.

The first new stretch goal, at 2.85 million dollars, will expand the game's epilogue. The expanded epilogue will describe the ultimate fate of regions, cults, factions, etc, after the game's story has ended, much like in Fallout. The second new stretch goal, at 3.1 million dollars, will add a dangerous cannibal cult known as the Dendra O'hur to the game world. (Doesn't Wasteland 2 already have one of those? I guess you can't go wrong with cannibals.)

The third new stretch goal, at 3.25 million dollars, will add yet another writer to Torment's writing team - fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss. Pat is apparently a huge PS:T fan, and you can read his elated reaction to this news over at his blog. There's also going to be a 3.5 million dollar stretch goal, but they don't want to reveal it yet (dammit you guys).

Finally, there's a recap of the Torment-related news of the past week, including a helpful overview of yesterday's Reddit AMA. Colin and Kevin also take the time to thank some of the other, lesser known people who've helped with the Kickstarter campaign. Did you know that the guy doing the Nameless One voice in the videos is Alexander Brandon of Deus Ex soundtrack fame?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, btw: http://colinmccomb.com/?p=190

Colin-and-Pat-225x300.jpg

(He won't talk about the shirt.)

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I know I’m old, and jaded, but all this “digital comic book” thingie leaves me perplexed… just spend the money and time on the damn game! Also, I thought that “Ziets” was pronounced zee-ets, no zei-ts. Because otherwise it would be written “Zeits”.

I clearly need more coffee.
p.s. Ziets is clearly a balding man who’s trying to delay the inevitable, and in doing so, he looks foolish. EMBRACE THE BALDNESS, ZIETS!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Would be great if they expanded the epilogue into individual vignettes for each alignments/class choices.

Edit: If Rothfuss does half the quality job as he did with Name of the Wind or Wise Man's fear, then this will be the best written game in ages.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hearing Ziets speak really gave me confidence regarding this project.
Too bad he is not the lead creative designer on this project.

"Stretch Goal idea is for 2D pre-rendered graphics – we’ll have more to say on this topic soon"
ok then, 2D is out I guess

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They are probably evaluating the cost of doing (3D rendered) 2D backdrops would be my guess.

hiver

George is awesome.
And compared to presentations from other kickstarters im starting to really, really like that serious deadface approach :lol:

That was great update on the Bloom... man i think he will work on that!!1 Fucking :yeah:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I know I’m old, and jaded, but all this “digital comic book” thingie leaves me perplexed… just spend the money and time on the damn game!!

Like I said, the evidence shows that Kickstarter backers love novellas, comic books, and other reading material. They're relatively cheap to make and they make people increase their pledges.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind (by Rothfuss) and I don't really get the hype. It's a decent book, but it's not exactly mindblowing or anything. I suspect the second and third novels are better, anyway.

It's not generic elves and dwarves fantasy, which is more than I can say about another famous fantasy author that joined an ongoing CRPG game. :smug:

Jashiin

Arcane
Gotta love his delivery :lol:

"To me, as a storyteller, that's incredibly exciting..."

519h7c.png

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This makes me want to play Mask of the Betrayer finally so bad, if it wouldnt be for this ugly/clunky UI, high level DnD, the camera and the bugs everywhere... :(

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
Of all of us who dread doing the videos, George was so far the dreadiest. Now we turn our gaze upon Saunders.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rothfuss huh. Guess the game will take 3 years to write and contain almost fetishistic details re: the player's finances. Naw, he's actually alright.

Also, Ziets is awesome. Almost as earnest as Colin McComb. Glad he's onboard.

Of all of us who dread doing the videos, George was so far the dreadiest. Now we turn our gaze upon Saunders.
Tell him he done good.
:greatjob:

Kirtai

Augur
Like I said, the evidence shows that Kickstarter backers love novellas, comic books, and other reading material. They're relatively cheap to make and they make people increase their pledges.
It kinda reminds me of the old manuals that had loads of backstory and interesting information about the game and its world, but that would bog things down if included directly in the game itself. Stuff that's not technically important to the plot but is interesting and helps give the world depth.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind (by Rothfuss) and I don't really get the hype. It's a decent book, but it's not exactly mindblowing or anything. I suspect the second and third novels are better, anyway.

It's not generic elves and dwarves fantasy, which is more than I can say about another famous fantasy author that joined an ongoing CRPG game. :smug:

Rothfuss' prose is beautiful, it flows very well and is a joy to read; he's also very good at weaving various themes into his narrative. However, the meat of his books (the story, the characterization and so forth) is painfully banal shit boring, and sometimes just embarassingly cheesy. Unless you believe it's all an elaborate subversion (of which there are signs of), in which case it'll either end up terrible or amazing depending on his third book.

What this means for Torment, I'm not sure. Hopefully he can adjust and avoid adding the kinds of escapistic, masturbatory power fantasies that feature prominently in his books to the game. Wonder how this will affect the pledges.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, I pretty much agree. My beef with The Name of the Wind is that the story doesn't really grab me, and outside of a few characters, most of them are forgettable. I'll be reading the sequel when I finish this one, regardless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom