Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #8: George Ziets Video, Pat Rothfuss Stretch Goal, and much more

Kirtai

Augur
Hopefully the professional editor they mentioned they had will be able to smooth out any disjointedness.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So how does Lesi justify her hate of Rothfuss's books? I've read both and enjoyed them (read the second one in like 3 nights, and it's a pretty thick book), and I haven't seen any so-called mysogyny at all. There's one quite strong-willed female character, the love interest of the protagonist is a mysterious and free-spirited woman who does whatever she wants and doesn't let herself be chained by any man.

But yeah, in the second book the protagonist screws some women. Well hey, he's a young man, that's what young men do. It's realistic for this character to behave this way. I wonder if it's the scene with the elf girl that made Lesi so aggressive...

Anyway, fuck this shit. Rothfuss is a pretty good writer, I like his characters, the world isn't bad either especially since everything we learn about the world is what the protagonist knows and learns too, which is much better exposition than just throwing out walls of text with background info (especially for a game), so I trust him to deliver some good stuff for Torment.

Also, dat beard :love:

Really? Really JarlFrank?

The Name of the Wind was OK- maybe even good. The Wise Man's Fear was utter uber-man shit. I don't know about the misogamy angle but the hero turns out to be the best student, the best swordsman, the best investigator, the best musician and the best bar tender in the world. He also kills magic spiders and can run daily marathons. Oh, but he is in love with a whore who has been jerking him around for the last 900 pages of these books so that makes him human like you and me.

The Wise Man's Fear was probably the most disappointing sequel I can remember reading and anyone who defends it deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

Damn, another person on the team who has no charisma or the ability to smile.
Nah, I met Patrick Rothfuss a while ago and chatted with him a bit. He's a very nice, funny guy who smiles all the time. Really.

Still wrote a shitty book.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I wish I'd read Pat's books. I plan to, but haven't yet. That said, the biggest criticism seems to be he made his writer a mary/gary sue-type. He's not writing the main character here, though.

Damn, another person on the team who has no charisma or the ability to smile.
Nah, I met Patrick Rothfuss a while ago and chatted with him a bit. He's a very nice, funny guy who smiles all the time. Really.
I think he means George. I was personally quite amused by George's dead-pan delivery.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It is getting a bit ridiculous with the writers now. Who's gonna be next? Sapkowski? GRR Martin? Gaider?

Starting to really feel that they didn't think this through all that much. I still want a GAME here, not just a visual novel.

Balor

Arcane
The Name of the Wind was OK- maybe even good. The Wise Man's Fear was utter uber-man shit. I don't know about the misogamy angle but the hero turns out to be the best student, the best swordsman, the best investigator, the best musician and the best bar tender in the world. He also kills magic spiders and can run daily marathons. Oh, but he is in love with a whore who has been jerking him around for the last 900 pages of these books so that makes him human like you and me.

Let me guess, you read thru the first half of the book, and then abandoned it.​

deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

Which Kwothe, in fact, got? :)

Anyway, I see great similarity with Brandon and Pat. He deliberately dabbles in some archetypes and then subverts them. The 'two soldiers' scene is a bit of a giveaway, dontcha think?

Balor

Arcane
It is getting a bit ridiculous with the writers now. Who's gonna be next? Sapkowski? GRR Martin? Gaider?

Starting to really feel that they didn't think this through all that much. I still want a GAME here, not just a visual novel.

Hey, this IS a Torment spiritual successor. You are lucky you are getting some sort of gameplay besides dialogues at all :P.
Lol@Gaider, but I would not mind GRR (though that would have to be like 20mil stretch goal), but like I said, I'd not mind Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie at all.
Those are very different writers, and would offet each other quite nicely. Imagine Brandon contributing to some plot twists and magic systems, and Joe writing some bitter, worldweary, flawed companion with boundless dark sarcasm. Oh, the sweet dreams.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I feel like lacking the ability to smile correlates well to game design.

n504e0f0be9b76.jpg

hiver

Hard? i would give my left leg to do it, ffs....
Mitsoda, Ziets and Pat + Colin + Kevin combo? wtf.. ?

I dont think so.

hiver

Hey!! i suggested making a MCA plushie toy in the game on user voice!!

And where were you SO CALLED fans of MCA? HUH? HUH?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
:drink:
I guess we all knew an MCA stretch goal was coming - like the man himself would say, this is FUCKING GREAT NEWS and it also means that the Kickstarter will gather the required $3.5M at the very least, as I'm sure many fans will be willing to raise their pledges until this goal is met. Incline all around!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Rothfuss' prose is beautiful, it flows very well and is a joy to read; he's also very good at weaving various themes into his narrative. However, the meat of his books (the story, the characterization and so forth) is painfully banal shit boring, and sometimes just embarassingly cheesy. Unless you believe it's all an elaborate subversion (of which there are signs of), in which case it'll either end up terrible or amazing depending on his third book.

What this means for Torment, I'm not sure. Hopefully he can adjust and avoid adding the kinds of escapistic, masturbatory power fantasies that feature prominently in his books to the game. Wonder how this will affect the pledges.

If he ever get's around to writing the third book... We will discover that Kvothe has been fucking with the reader the entire time, unreliable narrator and all.

hiver

I wouldnt be surprised at all if we get to see ... What can change the nature of Kvothe.

:smug:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Let me guess, you read thru the first half of the book, and then abandoned it.

If I had abandoned it how would I know that he runs half way across the continent in three days to join the super secret fighters guild where they randomly decide to let him trian with them. And give him a super sword of some sort. I mean really.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Wise Man's Fear was probably the most disappointing sequel I can remember reading and anyone who defends it deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

I enjoyed reading it. And in the end Kvothe fucks it up cause he's a gypsy, so he's not as perfect as it seems. And him being the best at everything doesn't change the fact that Rothfuss can write pretty good side-characters and his storytelling from the 1st person perspective is pretty effective, too. He'll probably be able to write some really good stuff for a game.

EDIT:
Also the stretch goal to bring him in already has made some people pledge who haven't even known of Torment before, so that's a fucking great thing.

hiver

One of the best parts of "The name of the Wind" for me was the time period when Kvothe was a "Dickens" orphan, eating rats and starving in some grimy parts of the town.
Counting every copper as if it was a treasure.

Which it is, when you are starving and freezing on rooftops because theat provides some safety from the thugs bellow.

Cue in mass market retards crying about it "i donht wanth my herooo to be so pooor mwaaaahhhh. i want him to be aweeessoooommeeee mwaaahhh."
Fucking idiots.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
In before MCA has a nervous breakdown and goes apeshit with an AK at the inXile and Obsidian offices.

Actually who came up with 'MCA' as I see it on the actual KS page! I always thought it was a Codex thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom