Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #8: George Ziets Video, Pat Rothfuss Stretch Goal, and much more

Lancehead

Liturgist
Well, that's why he's put in joint custody.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In before MCA has a nervous breakdown and goes apeshit with an AK at the inXile and Obsidian offices.

Actually who came up with 'MCA' as I see it on the actual KS page! I always thought it was a Codex thing.

I've always assumed it was an internal Obsidian jargon that somehow leaked out to the Codex (did they call him that back in the Black Isle days?)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's from the BIS days. The devs referred to Chris as MCA. I think it was Magical Chris Avellone, or something similar. IIRC

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
InXile has made a few nods to his nickname. They called him "Mister Chris Avellone" in a Wasteland update, and of course MCA in the video and now here.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I heard it was Mister Chris Avellone.

One of the codex investigative reporters should really do an inquiry. At the same time they can ask where the hell our avatars are.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It stems from back in the Interplay/BIS forum days yeah. No idea where it originated, but back from those days until now I've heard both Mister and Master Chris Avellone with some regularity. Of course, Magical, Mysterious or Marvelous Chris Avellone all work too.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
The Name of the Wind was OK- maybe even good. The Wise Man's Fear was utter uber-man shit. I don't know about the misogamy angle but the hero turns out to be the best student, the best swordsman, the best investigator, the best musician and the best bar tender in the world. He also kills magic spiders and can run daily marathons. Oh, but he is in love with a whore who has been jerking him around for the last 900 pages of these books so that makes him human like you and me.

Let me guess, you read thru the first half of the book, and then abandoned it.

If I had abandoned it how would I know that he runs half way across the continent in three days to join the super secret fighters guild where they randomly decide to let him trian with them. And give him a super sword of some sort. I mean really.

The way I read it was that Kvothe is telling this story and making himself look awesome. He's already proven to be an unreliable narrator, so why wouldn't he bump up his legend? The fact that we can't be certain about whether he's even telling the truth adds to the fun.

Rake

Arcane
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...ep-david-gaider-and-gaiderisms-out-of-torment
Gaider answered.
Much as I would relish the opportunity to work on such an exciting project-- my memories of my days on games like BG2 are fond ones indeed-- I certainly wouldn't want the inXile team opened up to criticism based on assumptions regarding what some fans evidently think I represent. Not that such a thing was even on the table, or that they'd even need someone like me. I'm certain writers like Colin McComb are more than up to the task of making something magnificent.

More here
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/13/index/15532880/6

FeelTheRads

Arcane
what some fans evidently think I represent

:lol: Very butthurt.

Sorry, Gaider, but that's what you represent. It's not about who thinks what and it makes no difference if your intentions weren't to represent what you do. In the end, it's still your fault.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...ep-david-gaider-and-gaiderisms-out-of-torment
Gaider answered.
Much as I would relish the opportunity to work on such an exciting project-- my memories of my days on games like BG2 are fond ones indeed-- I certainly wouldn't want the inXile team opened up to criticism based on assumptions regarding what some fans evidently think I represent. Not that such a thing was even on the table, or that they'd even need someone like me. I'm certain writers like Colin McComb are more than up to the task of making something magnificent.

More here
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/13/index/15532880/6

:butthurt:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, for every good writer influence there must be a balancing bad one, I guess. Curses.

Vance is wry amusement, ironic pompousness, theatrical stage awareness, ennui of the knowledgeable vs. ignorant cockroaches clinging to survival...

Wolfe is dreamy melancholia, introspective musing of memory, rambling prose poetry of sense-making rationalization...

That Kvothe Dude is just juvenile wankery of somebody old enough to know better. For every fragment of competently written prose, you can find a counter-fragment of cringe-worthy illiteracy. And no, "I wrote 50% of this X years ago and can't be arsed to rewrite it when morans lap it up anyway" is not a valid excuse in the eyes of the Judging Hivemind. In summary, fuck that loser.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The Name of the Wind was OK- maybe even good. The Wise Man's Fear was utter uber-man shit. I don't know about the misogamy angle but the hero turns out to be the best student, the best swordsman, the best investigator, the best musician and the best bar tender in the world. He also kills magic spiders and can run daily marathons. Oh, but he is in love with a whore who has been jerking him around for the last 900 pages of these books so that makes him human like you and me.

Let me guess, you read thru the first half of the book, and then abandoned it.

If I had abandoned it how would I know that he runs half way across the continent in three days to join the super secret fighters guild where they randomly decide to let him trian with them. And give him a super sword of some sort. I mean really.

The way I read it was that Kvothe is telling this story and making himself look awesome. He's already proven to be an unreliable narrator, so why wouldn't he bump up his legend? The fact that we can't be certain about whether he's even telling the truth adds to the fun.

It is possible, and quite likely, but in the end you're still reading 900 pages of Kvothe being awesome and having sex with horny ninja girls. I think there's a limit to how far you can push this kind of idea. It does come off a bit like trying to play both sides: People who like sex ninjas are happy to read about them, and those who dislike sex ninjas can theorize on how Kvothe is lying and everything is a huge subversion. Like I said before, a lot depends on Pat's third book. A lot can be forgiven if there's good payoff for the "Kvothe is unreliable" angle, but if he keeps sitting on the fence and merely hinting at it while writing cheesy escapist fantasy, then I at least will feel very cheated.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
It is possible, and quite likely, but in the end you're still reading 900 pages of Kvothe being awesome and having sex with horny ninja girls. I think there's a limit to how far you can push this kind of idea. It does come off a bit like trying to play both sides: People who like sex ninjas are happy to read about them, and those who dislike sex ninjas can theorize on how Kvothe is lying and everything is a huge subversion. Like I said before, a lot depends on Pat's third book. A lot can be forgiven if there's good payoff for the "Kvothe is unreliable" angle, but if he keeps sitting on the fence and merely hinting at it while writing cheesy escapist fantasy, then I at least will feel very cheated.

I get that, and I sympathize - I'll feel cheated too if it turns out that Kvothe really is telling it straight up, but I'll have enjoyed the ride along the way.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Huh. I hadn't really experienced Roguey's true feminist colors until zer comments in this thread and in the primary T:ToN thread.

Roguey's flavor of feminism confirmed for full-blown hypocrisy, bigotry masquerading as progressive thinking, demonization of men, liberal use of slurs and shaming language vs. men or dissenters, and believes zhe's morally and ethically justified—it's the complete package, all wrapped up in a neat little bow.

Monty

Arcane
Huh. I hadn't really experienced Roguey's true feminist colors until zer comments in this thread and in the primary T:ToN thread.

Roguey's flavor of feminism confirmed for full-blown hypocrisy, bigotry masquerading as progressive thinking, demonization of men, liberal use of slurs and shaming language vs. men or dissenters, and believes zhe's morally and ethically justified—it's the complete package, all wrapped up in a neat little bow.
Or it's a man in a basement larping a feminist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom